Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
VICTORIA — A B.C. government fish pathologist, whose research into fish farms has put him at odds with environmentalists and sparked a politically charged review of the entire provincial lab, says he is surprised to find himself at the centre of a political firestorm involving Agriculture Minister Lana Popham.

Gary Marty, the senior provincial fish pathologist at the Animal Health Centre, said he holds no ill will toward Popham despite being initially targeted by her as part of an investigation that has morphed into a review of the lab and its science.

“I think ‘surprise’ would probably be the best term to describe it,” he said in an interview, when asked how he had felt of almost a week of the issue dominating debate at the legislature.

“I have two earned doctoral degrees, I’m also board certified in veterinary pathology, I’ve been here for 12 years, and I kind of understand pretty well some of the dynamics that go on here,” he added.

“So while it’s frustrating, it’s not surprising. And I feel as the senior member of our four-person fish pathology team that I have a responsibility to stand up and be a model for professionalism in all this, when maybe not everyone is behaving as professional as they could be.”

Popham has faced accusations of inappropriate political interference, after she told Postmedia last week she was going to investigate Marty and his work following complaints from First Nations groups who wanted him fired. Marty has published research that environmental groups say dismisses the seriousness of fish-farm diseases.

Department of Fisheries and Oceans scientist Kristi Miller accused Marty of potential conflict of interest on CTV’s W5 show last week, because he had worked with a veterinarian from fish-farm company Marine Harvest on a scientific report. Miller later briefed Popham on her concerns in an unofficial capacity by teleconference, which Popham told the legislature constituted a concern by DFO. The federal agency later said it had not lodged an official complaint about the science being done at the lab.

Popham’s initial investigation has since morphed into a review of the entire Animal Health Centre in Abbotsford. On Wednesday, Premier John Horgan put his head of the civil service, Don Wright, in charge of reviewing the lab’s scientific and ethical practices, removing Popham from the file.

popham.jpg

B.C.’s Agriculture Minister Lana Popham, sent out a chilling letter to fish farm operator Marine Harvest Canada regarding its continued presence on the B.C. coast. BRUCE STOTESBURY / TIMES COLONIST FILES

Marty said he understands how it could look like a conflict, but the Animal Health Centre is the only facility in Canada with board-certified veterinary fish pathologists inside an accredited diagnostic laboratory, and so it serves a wide range of clients, including the fish farms which own the actual fish that need to be tested in order to understand the diseases.

“We need to be able to provide services to a wide range of clients, some of which could be perceived as being in a conflict of interest,” said Marty. “But as medical professionals, our goal and what we need to do is provide reliable diagnostic services to anybody who needs it so they can make informed decisions. It’s a matter of … just needing to explain what we do.”

Whether the structure of the lab system, and its ability to conduct work with industry, presents an inherent conflict of interest due to the model government has chosen, will form part of the review, Popham told reporters Thursday.

“I think the terms of reference talk about looking into if there could be a conflict of interest, so that seems like it is part of the review, but I didn’t have anything to do with designing the review,” Popham said. “The scientific community depends on the integrity of results. So that means when they come up with information, it’s not in question. And our lab has proven over and over the years … that they have integrity.”

The B.C. government’s terms of reference say it will conduct the review of the lab’s science in a way that removes any political interference, and it will focus on “the formal policies and procedures at the Animal Health Centre to determine if best practices and ethical standards are followed, including protecting against potential conflicts of interest.”

Marty said he has spoken to Popham in the past, and expects they will speak again in the future on this and other files, because she is his minister.

“We’ve spoken before,” he said. “Certainly, everyone has their own opinions, and I respect that. You have different constituencies you need to work toward. So I have no ill feelings toward the minister.”

In the meantime, Marty said he is not concerned that this may cost him his job.

“I’ve heard the minister say there is no concern about my job,” he said. “I’m in a unionized position. Realistically, it would be nearly impossible for me to be fired.

“While it’s disconcerting, it is an opportunity to show more people, inform more people, of what goes on in our laboratory and the quality of our people and the quality of our accreditation,” he added. “So, in the long run, I think it will be positive for our laboratory, and I hope that British Columbians will be more comfortable with the quality of diagnostics that they receive once this review is completed and they see the results.”

rshaw@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/robshaw_vansun

CLICK HERE to report a typo.

Is there more to this story? We’d like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Email vantips@postmedia.com.

Lmao, all I said was 7.8 million Chinook smolt are being eaten by seals. This study was done by PSF, DFO and Port Authority Your still stuck on sea lice. All your peer reviewed study's show is sea lice counts.
If your read enough about lice, it even agreed upon by the scientific community that most out going smolts dont travel through the Broughton.
The scientific community has moved on..... Fish farms are not even mentioned in meetings. Maybe you should start reading different science papers.
Just an fyi still no facts produced linking fish farms to dwindling salmon stocks.......

If you require more information contact Brian Riddel at PSF, the information is to be public....

This kinda seems like a tie to the industry to me bones... a comment you made in a thread earlier.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...lice-and-fish-farms.64546/page-16#post-849115

bones quote
"Good to know... Do all farms use a pesticides? I managed a farm for 3 years and did not use any pesticides and I drop antibiotics maybe 6-7 times. So loading the ocean floor with chemicals, is really true or more hype created by corporate paid biologists?"

bones quote
"When i managed AQ9 and AQ2 the commies would drop a set right off our outside walkway. Just between our navy cans and the system."

alternative facts that you have no ties to the industry?
just sayin...

Lmao, hello 1989 calling.

I managed a fish farm or two when I was 19 years old. I'm currently 49. So ya no ties to fish farms......Whats your point?

This video needs to seen one more time.....

Lol, classic deflection. You cant Sa how many smolts die due to sea lice
Is is your job to inform me. You said they are killing wild salmon. YOU SAID IT. If you believe this. Then please share...... Please inform....
Please.... For the last time. I do not work for a fish farm nor do I have ties to them. I am a electrical contractor in the lower mainland.
I just sit here and ask for proof. Seems there is none. Just studies implying they harm wild salmon..... But to scientific link to this.

Hey Bones
This might help inform you...
It was a few years ago when the Fish Farms themselves were trying to time the use of Slice to control Sea Lice in order to minimize their effect on wild salmon smolts and they admitted their Sea Lice were killing wild salmon.
The sad news is the over use of Slice has allowed your Farmed Atlantic salmon to build a resistance .

None of this is new news, just more facts being swept under the table.....

Concerns raised over use of toxic pesticides to fight sea lice
"Over the last two years, [New Brunswick]salmon farmers have noted growing levels of sea lice tolerance to the in-feed lice control drug Slice," Claire Dansereau, deputy minister in Fisheries and Oceans, wrote in a memorandum for the minister in September, 2010. "It appears Slice is no longer effective unless applied in triple doses. Farmers have been seeking access to other treatment products including hydrogen peroxide, Salmosan, AlphaMax and Calicide."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...le594315/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Treating farmed salmon for sea lice prevents transfer to wild fish
… a paper published by the Ecological Society of America states that when farmers in that region treat their stock with a chemical known as Slice, they can knock back the sea lice population so effectively that few of the parasites transfer to wild fish.
The paper also reports, however, that farms should use the treatment earlier in the year to maximize the impact.
The researchers found that outbreaks in the wild populations were significantly lower when farmed fish were treated with Slice late in winter, before wild juvenile pink salmon had begun to migrate past the net pens.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/treating-farmed-salmon-for-sea-lice-prevents-transfer-to-wild-fish/article5335578/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Lmao, hello 1989 calling.
I managed a fish farm or two when I was 19 years old. I'm currently 49. So ya no ties to fish farms......Whats your point?

Bones,
Most would think you are using the phrase no ties to fish farms pretty loosely when you also state you are a former Fish Farm Manager.
That being said when you ask for proof that Fish Farm Sea Lice kill wild salmon and that proof comes from the Fish Farms themselves (see post 106) you become silent. Do you accept or reject this proof?
Then again you didn't say Fish Farm Sea Lice do not kill wild salmon, you only asked for proof of how many wild salmon are killed.
As a former Fish Farm manager, do you accept or deny that Fish Farm Sea Lice kill Wild Salmon?

And from the "good" doctor.. “I’ve heard the minister say there is no concern about my job,” he said. “I’m in a unionized position. Realistically, it would be nearly impossible for me to be fired. True--- but how would you like to spend the rest of your career sitting in a broom closet, next to the elevator and water cooler ? Arrogant prick.

Last edited:
And from the "good" doctor.. “I’ve heard the minister say there is no concern about my job,” he said. “I’m in a unionized position. Realistically, it would be nearly impossible for me to be fired. True--- but how would you like to spend the rest of your career sitting a broom closer, next to the elevator and water cooler ? Arrogant prick.
I think this gets back to the too close collusion and comfort FF boosters, PR firms, and in particular - the regulatory bodies have. Justice Cohen also admonished the feds and province over this same issue - and it was one of his key recommendations about not allowing the foxes to run the henhouse. In other words - you can't both promote and regulate the same industry at the same time.

Changes to that regulatory process do not facilitate the "nothing to see here folks" messaging for the network of PR firms, industry organizations, FF lawyers and paid lobbyists who have direct access to DoJ officials and politicians, though. No mistake that Vivian Krause was on Mike Duffy's rolladex, and he had direct access to Harper - as but one example.

How DFO became the "promoter" for FF stems back to Yves Bastion - the once "Commissionaire for Aquaculture Development" - an appointed position - where he got to dissect and reassemble how DFO works and supposedly regulates the industry - or not. His influence on DFO and the feds was discussed on:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...m-siting-criteria-politics.37507/#post-452961
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...de-the-truth-forever.64361/page-5#post-805958

Instead of understanding that regulatory positions for the FF industry are one of public trust and servitude (hence the title public "servant") - many of the regulatory personnel were once either FF workers and/or private vets attached to the industry. Many - including Gary Marty - would not likely have a job - if there was no industry. Many provincial FF regulatory personnel got rolled into DFO Aquaculture after the feds took over from the Province.

Within their collective experiences and familiarity - I believe they have convinced themselves to see their jobs as promoting and protecting the industry rather than regulating it.

Their influence can be felt throughout DFO - particularly in the Aquaculture Branch of DFO as well as the MoA provincially - which is where Marty's position lies. Kristi Miller also has much experience with the myopic defensiveness and protectionism within these agencies - and her comments prompted Lana Popham to investigate Gary's lab - which then resulted in the defensive reactions from the industry that resulted in Horgan stepping-in.

Welcome to the real underbelly of the FF support...

Last edited:
Just wanted to comment on some misconception. The only reason that Gary Marty is being looked into is there is a real push in the new BC government by the greens and NDP to reform the current professional reliance model. In the past the government used to approve many things internally through departments. This was done though their own staff. The liberals didn't like that because it placed the entire responsibility with the elected official. What they did was reduce the department and essentially outsourced the resonsibilty to qualified professionals. Unfortunately the liberals really made a mess with some projects like the shawnigan lake contaminated site, Mt Polley and the contaminated water issue next to some dairy farms in interior etc.

The issue with this system that there is potential that the independent professional could be influenced by industry. Also not enough government oversite can be a result. One troubling issue is whenever a government is challenged or makes a mistake it can deflect the responsibility to the qualified proffessional and not be accountable to the taxpayer.

In this case it remains to be seen what G.Marty is doing anything wrong. But be very careful of why the work is going reviewed. I think it had to do with the NDP mandate to overhaul the current system with all projects.

As far any liberal they are just politically postering because they have a weak opposition right now. So now all of the sudden everything is an issue. Why was this not an issue when they were in power last year? A believe the liberal MP was in office as well at that time. Why bring it up now? If there is anything that is found then this will really blow up in the oppositions face. That is why Horgan is doing it.

Last edited:
This whole mess IMO has more to do with Popam trying to learn the ropes of being a Minister of the Crown and screwing it up. In opposition it's fine to spout off about something you know nothing about, noharm no foul! However once in government you have actual power and you also have responsibility to use that power wisely

Where she screwed up is that she is now seen as a politician (Minister)attacking and threatening a Scientist and his laboratory, that when called out tried to blame the Feds. She really screwed up when she was challenged and tried to deflect her concerns and attribute them to the Federal government as opposed to owning them. Then of course the Feds said they didn't express those concerns and suddenly things switched to a W5 interview where Miller stated that the only lab that does testing in BC , both for the government and the FF industry,may be in a real or conceived conflict of interest. Surprise surprise, one lad more than one customer

Since then an investigation has been downgraded to a review and Popham has been muzzled by her party leader. Check out how the Premier has answered the questions she has received in Question Period over the last week.

So essentially this issue has morphed into a Minister who attempted to mislead the public, was caught out and now her party is rallying to provide damage control. Unfortunately she didn't need to bring the Feds into this, but she did and short of coming clean, that has now become the issue.

Ziggy Her heart is in the right place on the side of Wild Salmon. You can spin the political bs any way you want but I think she will have a lot of support on her side getting the Farms off the Migration paths. Hoping to see Weaver be a little more Vocal in support of this issue as its getting attention right now.

Not spinning anything, just stating the facts. Her heart may be in the right place but her head sure wasn't. Call it Political BS if you wish but she screwed up royally and she is a politician.

She could have simply ordered a review, surely you can hoist that in right? But rather than use the power she has to order that,she tried to say the Feds told her they were concerned, to deflect responsibility Why? Is she not that committed? The Feds called BS and now the FF are no longer the issue ,its her stick handling of the responsibility. No one is trying to stop a review as far as I can see. Have you heard differently?

Not spinning anything, just stating the facts. Her heart may be in the right place but her head sure wasn't. Call it Political BS if you wish but she screwed up royally and she is a politician.

She could have simply ordered a review, surely you can hoist that in right? But rather than use the power she has to order that,she tried to say the Feds told her they were concerned, to deflect responsibility Why? Is she not that committed? The Feds called BS and now the FF are no longer the issue ,its her stick handling of the responsibility. No one is trying to stop a review as far as I can see. Have you heard differently?
The industry is also fighting a disease problem.

Infectious salmon anemia was confirmed at a Gray Aqua site near Conne River in July 2012, which led federal officials to order the destruction of hundreds of thousands of salmon at the site.

In December 2012, more fish were destroyed after another outbreak at a Cooke Aquaculture facility in Hermitage Bay.

While scientists have said those infected fish are safe to eat, the CFIA has not approved their sale in stores.
ISA labels not needed
The minister called it a marketing and precautionary move by the company. He explained that the fish can still be sold to consumers because there are no health risks to humans, and added the fish will not need to be labelled as coming from a site infected with ISA.

"There's no labelling required," said Byrne, who noted the affected fish were of marketable size. The problem seems to me is the Lab is looking at the disease in terms of its customer the Fish Farm. If its not harmfull to humans nothing to say no need to even label it. Who's role is it then to look out for the interest of the Wild Salmon as it is certainly harmful to them?

A quote from link above^^
Funny(sic) how quickly these parasites(politicians) change their tune

Last spring, during the provincial election campaign, the NDP candidate for North Island, Claire Trevena, stood up in the Big House in the First Nations community of Alert Bay and declared that an NDP government would get rid of the disputed farms in open waters.

"We will remove fish farms, we are committed to that," she stated, "and make sure that these territories, and the North Island, are clear of fish farms."

Last week, Ms. Trevena said in an interview that she was only outlining the position of the NDP while in opposition: "What I said in the Big House is reiterating a long-standing policy, which is, we are going to work with everyone to find a solution."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back