Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me the only folks causing a fuss about this issue, at least on this forum, are anti fish farmers.

If you read the news articles, Dave - you would see referenced where the old guard in the BC Liberals were attacking Lana Popham - as well as the so-called "business-friendly" column writers. I think it would be very naive to not understand that was due to kickback from the industry.

In addition, it was Kristi Miller who 1st pointed-out the untenable position of Marty's lab - hardly a "anti".

Last edited:
Seems to me the only folks causing a fuss about this issue, at least on this forum, are anti fish farmers.

So Dave
As a well informed, intelligent and active participant on Sport Fishing BC is it fair to say you support the "review of fish lab’s ‘integrity’" as being in the best interest of all?

Not sure who was at the science emporium on Tuesday, had a friend attend.

From the scientific community" 7.8 million Chinook smolts eaten by seals every year in the strait of Georgia. Pretty sound science as the scat from seals has been tested at a lab.

Not sure who was at the science emporium on Tuesday, had a friend attend.

From the scientific community" 7.8 million Chinook smolts eaten by seals every year in the strait of Georgia. Pretty sound science as the scat from seals has been tested at a lab.

How many smolts destroyed by the lice that infect them when they pass through these lice breeding and concentrating farms, bones? How many of those smolts were less mobile and sick from the lice or became diseased with ISAv when passing by these open net pen farms so they became easy prey for the seals, bones?
I think many on this forum would agree a cull on seals may not be a bad thing, just as many would agree a cull on these disease producing farms would not be a bad thing either...
The thing is, the seals are natural to the environment and have been for a long time. The farms aren't... they are invasive and are throwing the ecosystem out of balance. Quickly destroying it.

Last edited:
87% of smolts disappear between first narrows and second narrows, burrard inlet. Yet there are no fish farms and one open net pen. This study is avail online and is reviewed.

Idk, please inform me......how many?

That's your best response? Is that the response we can expect from your industry?
It's not up to me to inform you bones. I don't work in the fish farm industry and don't have access to the data that you should have in regard to that question. I would think the onus to that question lies with government and your industry. If you (being an employee and paid and supported by the fish farm industry) or your industry doesn't know or hasn't a clue to that question as you purport, imo, or can't even give us an estimate based on science, your industry (and our government agencies supporting these farms) has no business being in business in our waters. If your industry does not believe in abiding by the precautionary principle or have facts pertaining to how many smolts it is destroying or causing disease to, it shouldn't be allowed to continue operating in our waters. If your industry would rather fight the findings of the cohen commission rather than work with and abide by the results and recommendations of the cohen commission, your industry should not be allowed to continue operating in our waters.

Do you care about what is left of our wild salmon bones?

87% of smolts disappear between first narrows and second narrows, burrard inlet. Yet there are no fish farms and one open net pen. This study is avail online and is reviewed.

To me, that almost seems normal considering only a few percent usually return to spawn to their native streams. What isn't normal is the quick declines in our salmon runs that correspond to the year after fish farms were allowed to set up operations in our waters. .

http://www.salmonconfidential.ca/science-references/wild-salmon-near-farms-decline/

Lol, classic deflection. You cant Sa how many smolts die due to sea lice because non do. One million pinks returned in the CR area in 2012,,,, a record. Largest Chinook run as well and i believe largest Coho run as well.

Is is your job to inform me. You said they are killing wild salmon. YOU SAID IT. If you believe this. Then please share...... Please inform....

Please.... For the last time. I do not work for a fish farm nor do I have ties to them. I am a electrical contractor in the lower mainland.

I just sit here and ask for proof. Seems there is none. Just studies implying they harm wild salmon..... But to scientific link to this.

In the scientific emporium the mention of fish farms and the disappearance of salmon wasn't mentioned....... Just saying

is

Lol, classic deflection. You cant Sa how many smolts die due to sea lice because non do. One million pinks returned in the CR area in 2012,,,, a record. Largest Chinook run as well and i believe largest Coho run as well.

Is is your job to inform me. You said they are killing wild salmon. YOU SAID IT. If you believe this. Then please share...... Please inform....

Please.... For the last time. I do not work for a fish farm nor do I have ties to them. I am a electrical contractor in the lower mainland.

I just sit here and ask for proof. Seems there is none. Just studies implying they harm wild salmon..... But to scientific link to this.

In the scientific emporium the mention of fish farms and the disappearance of salmon wasn't mentioned....... Just saying
How do you think these smolts made out? There are more pictures and they have been posted on this site in the past. You got to be kidding still trying to deny Salmon Farms are Killing Wild Salmon in B.C.

hehe, trying to have a conversation with you (bones) is like trying to play chess with a pigeon. All the proof and scientific peer reviewed articles in the world showing that these open net pen fish farms are detrimental to what's left of our wild salmon populations won't change your mind and I wouldn't expect it to. Or look at what's happened to the wild salmon in Norway or other European countries that have atlantic salmon farming.
Like I said previously, the onus isn't on me... It's on the people who want to continue doing business in our waters. It should be up to them to provide the scientific proof and peer reviewed science showing that their farms aren't being harmful to our wild salmon stocks. It's like trying to tell DFO to cut back on overfishing of the atlantic cod stocks before their collapse or maybe try killing less bison before they disappear on the plains. Some people just don't seem to get it. Thankfully many do in this day and age of the internet.
Sorry for assuming you were employed by the fish farm industry. Maybe I was thinking you were birdsnest, but thought you were both employed by it. Good luck to you and your children and your grandchildren (if you have them) with that mindset... sincerely. Hope it works out well for you and them.

Just think about this for a minute...

Who knows, maybe your right and I'm wrong. Then again, maybe I'm right and your wrong. Should we be betting the farm on you being right? If your not it's quite possible our grandchildren or their children may never have the opportunity to fish for a wild salmon in the future as the runs will have become extinct with the expansion of the farms. When the wild salmon are gone, the orca and bears (and other creatures that depend on the wild salmon for a source of protein) probably won't be far behind.

Sure hope your right and I'm wrong cause that's a hell of a bet to make.

Last edited:

I just sit here and ask for proof. Seems there is none.

This kinda seems like a tie to the industry to me bones... a comment you made in a thread earlier.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...lice-and-fish-farms.64546/page-16#post-849115

bones quote
"Good to know... Do all farms use a pesticides? I managed a farm for 3 years and did not use any pesticides and I drop antibiotics maybe 6-7 times. So loading the ocean floor with chemicals, is really true or more hype created by corporate paid biologists?"

bones quote
"When i managed AQ9 and AQ2 the commies would drop a set right off our outside walkway. Just between our navy cans and the system."

alternative facts that you have no ties to the industry?
just sayin...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back