Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. D je vue in W5. Brought back memories. I can tell you this was the best thing that could ever happen to the issue from experience. The only thing that worries me is listen to the fisheries minister. When asked if he would protect salmon stocks he said we will be "implementing management measures" to protect wild salmon. Which means although we are full supportive of getting farms out of ocean we could be forcing the government to choose, and effectively shut sport fishing down for salmon.

The government will always take the easy path, and that what worries me. One thing we need to do is get the government to stop wasting money, and invest money into R and D on-land farms. It has been proven that it can be done in the North Island. If on-land systems can be built then the industry will still make there money, no one loses there jobs, and everybody gets what they want. If the government wants aquaculture then it should help these farms go on land. The technology is there it just has too made at lower cost.

Look there are hundreds of companies across Canada right now that get millions in R and D research. Many never go anywhere. Why can't we move some of the funding to a group that already has a market, and a business plan? Just something to think about.

Last edited:
When asked if he would protect salmon stocks he said we will be "implementing management measures" to protect wild salmon. Which means although we are full supportive of getting farms out of ocean we could be forcing the government to choose and effectively shut sport fishing down for salmon.

I am very afraid that you are right.
I think next season we are in for dissapointing closures.

I am very afraid that you are right.
I think next season we are in for dissapointing closures.

Yes, but then again we have an amazing group of people withing the SFI, SFAC ,SFAB,SVIAC, Others etc. that will do whatever they can to try and prevent it. I wouldn't write it off yet, but everybody must be cautious of where you align your self with moving forward. We have multiple challenges facing our group from FN lower Fraser issues, fish farms, and now right wing whale/enviro advocacy groups. Everything that is happening at once, and it's created a lot of fear. This farm issue has been on radar for a long time but it is gaining momentum, and has collided with orca issue. The only thing though that worries me as that DFO will try take the easy approach. It needs to think outside the box, and look at an alternative plan.

Wow. D je vue in W5. Brought back memories. I can tell you this was the best thing that could ever happen to the issue from experience. The only thing that worries me is listen to the fisheries minister. When asked if he would protect salmon stocks he said we will be "implementing management measures" to protect wild salmon. Which means although we are full supportive of getting farms out of ocean we could be forcing the government to choose, and effectively shut sport fishing down for salmon.

The government will always take the easy path, and that what worries me. One thing we need to do is get the government to stop wasting money, and invest money into R and D on-land farms. It has been proven that it can be done in the North Island. If on-land systems can be built then the industry will still make there money, no one loses there jobs, and everybody gets what they want. If the government wants aquaculture then it should help these farms go on land. The technology is there it just has too made at lower cost.

Look there are hundreds of companies across Canada right now that get millions in R and D research. Many never go anywhere. Why can't we move some of the funding to a group that already has a market, and a business plan? Just something to think about.
The Fish Farms are already getting Millions of dollars in direct and indirect subsidies. These are not small companies they can well afford to move onto shore with their own dime and write the cost off thier profits. If that doesn't work for them then they should not be in business. The R and D should be allocated to optimize spawning grounds for sucsess.

The Fish Farms are already getting Millions of dollars in direct and indirect subsidies. These are not small companies they can well afford to move onto shore with their own dime and write the cost off thier profits. If that doesn't work for them then they should not be in business. The R and D should be allocated to optimize spawning grounds for sucsess.

I disagree.

I disagree.
What part do you disagree with? That they are already getting Millions of dollars in subsidies, can go onshore with their own dime or that our tax money should optimize spawning grounds for success instead of helping to pay them move on shore?

Wow! Wonderful interviewer on behalf of W5 . Just wished that the fisheries minister was hooked up to a lie detekor that would beep every time he fudged the truth. But then we probably wouldn't have heard a word he said. Just a steady beep, beep, beep,beep,beep ad infinitum.

What part do you disagree with? That they are already getting Millions of dollars in subsidies, can go onshore with their own dime or that our tax money should optimize spawning grounds for success instead of helping to pay them move on shore?

I disagree how you believe you can stop the farms without an alternative. It will never ever work. I am 100 percent against open net pens, but I also understand how politicians work. Its way too much money in that business to give up. The demand for aquaculture keeps growing. In order for our fish to be protected we must force the government to look at really investing into coming up with a solution that involves onland farms. The farmers won't do it themselves.

"Tough Management Decisions" Sportfishing and Commercial was mentioned at end in that interview look out! He just foretold it.

Thanks for the link AA. Doesn't sound like the Feds will be telling the Fish Farms to get onshore but definately hinting at Fishing restrictions. I think they might be concerned that if they actually did get the Fish Farms on land and witnessed a coresponding increase in smolt survival and increased returns to the spawning grounds that they would be looked at by future historians as being so blinded by money to not see whats staring them right in the face for all the years that these farms have been allowed to pollute our waters. God bless the Iconic Wild B.C. salmon and all that feeds from it.

Well, no minister wants to be the one on watch when the sh*t explodes - nor to be the one that gets sued by the fish farms for lost business. Tough business politics - but the rewards are great! - lobbying and/or lawyer career afterwards along with a pretty posh pension - and the communications department does all the hard work developing the speaking notes...

Last edited:
I would like to remind folks that we have been down this road before with trying to recover the coho stocks. What has it been, 20 years of not keeping wild coho? How are the stocks doing..... **** poor.

Good point, GLG - answer: we don't know because most of the streamwalkers contracts stop long before the coho season and we don't have a coho DNA baseline to determine intercept by fisheries. Other than that - this year was a much better coho season...

Would be interesting to hear from some of the more prominent Fish Farm supporters on this forum as to what they thought of this W5 program on fish farming. Dave, Shuswap, Birdnest and Bones what do you have to say about the industry you support?

Vaughn Palmer: Popham pens 'eviction' notice-like letter to B.C. fish farms
When Premier John Horgan promised to “align the actions of my government with the United Nations declaration on the rights of Indigenous peoples,” it wasn’t clear how that would play out with specific decisions.

images
Vaughn Palmer
Published on: October 17, 2017
http://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...ens-eviction-notice-like-letter-to-fish-farms

Vaughn Palmer: Popham pens 'eviction' notice-like letter to B.C. fish farms
When Premier John Horgan promised to “align the actions of my government with the United Nations declaration on the rights of Indigenous peoples,” it wasn’t clear how that would play out with specific decisions.

images
Vaughn Palmer
Published on: October 17, 2017
http://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...ens-eviction-notice-like-letter-to-fish-farms

The alarming part of this story is the only reason given in this story re the Government's concern about Fish Farms was the sensitive nature of Fish Farms and the First Nations
It is however a good first step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back