fish farm siting criteria & politics

Thanks Agent, Were those lice levels on Atlantics? Wasn't there a paper put out regarding the relative size of Pink and Atlantic fry and the tested lice loads? I vaguely recall something about the pinks being unaffected at the same levels which hurt atlantics?

Isn't CAHS now in Campbell River?

You are right, the salinity shouldn't have been allowed to decrease. Probably the reason why it isn't peer reviewed?

Gimp, ISA (Infectious Salmon Anemia)is a virus which has affected farmed atlantic salmon in Norway, Scotland, New Brunswick and now Chile. Rainbow trout and Pacifics are not affected by it. I am not aware of any outbreak in Wild Atlantics. As it is a virus, there is no vaccine and antibiotics do not cure it. In all the regions above (except Chile) it has been largely eradicated by strict bay management, meaning single year classes, and strict adherence to proper farming practises. By Chilean standards, BC salmon farms are quite isolated from one another, and are run at a much higher level of best farm managment practises.
With regard to wastes, the comparison to city sewage is incorrect as fish waste does not contain the contaminants, chemicals and whatever else humans throw down their drains. It is a concern however, that it does not become excessive. This is also a concern of the farm operator, and is strictly monitored by the farmers so that any waste buildup does not have an impact on their stock. In BC, if wastes build up above allowable levels, farms must be fallowed (shut down) until the sediments return to within allowable levels.

Cantelon and Fraser in my opinion are 2 politicians both trumpeting their party lines.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

By Chilean standards, BC salmon farms are quite isolated from one another, and are run at a much higher level of best farm managment practises.
We can't benchmark the success of our wild salmon on the failures of these unregulated countries. This remains the problem; we cannot and will not allow our salmon to be put at risk on what-iffs and warrantees of corps that will disappear on the whisper of the wind. Our wild salmon are too precious.

A fair question Sockeye Fry, are you a resident Canadian citizen?

sockeyefry:
Were those lice levels on Atlantics? Wasn't there a paper put out regarding the relative size of Pink and Atlantic fry and the tested lice loads?

I think you are correct. I will look it up later - when I have more time.

Rainbow trout and Pacifics are not affected by ISA. I am not aware of any outbreak in Wild Atlantics. As it is a virus, there is no vaccine and antibiotics do not cure it. In all the regions above (except Chile) it has been largely eradicated by strict bay management, meaning single year classes, and strict adherence to proper farming practises. By Chilean standards, BC salmon farms are quite isolated from one another, and are run at a much higher level of best farm managment practises.

How do we know for sure that Rainbow trout and Pacifics are not affected by ISA? Just haven't noticed it - or did someone test it? How do we know that ISA has - in fact - been eradicated? Maybe it's just not a problem right now.

You also did not mention about the Pacific "virus-equivalent", called IHN - and it's issues...

Agent

Regarding the Rainbows and ISA, when the outbreak in Norway occured, they tested to see if their farmed rainbows were at risk. They found that they could carry the virus, but not be affected by it.

Eradicated was probably the wrong word, more like controlled. ISA was a problem in NB in the 90's, and through the implementation of strict protocols, it seems to be under control as it has not reached the previous levels. BTW no wild atlantics were ever found with the disease. That is peculiar because usually there is a source identified, ususally from the wild population.

Yes IHN is another virus, also known as Sockeye disease. It is believed that 100% of Sockeye carry this virus. In fact it almost shut down the Alaskan Sockeye production from their hatcheries back in the late 90's, till they figured out how to manage it. Coho are the only salmonids not affected by it. Chins, pinks and chums are susceptible to varying degrees, with Atlantics being very susceptible. It was a major problem back in 2000 or so, but hasn't been around since. I am not sure if the farms are now better managed, or there is less IHN in the wild populations to infect the farmed stock.

Nimo,

I agree that we wouldn't want to put the wild salmon at risk. However, I disagree that salmon farming poses such a risk that it should be abolished when considered against all the human activities which have an impact.

Why is my nationality relevent?

Why is your nationality NOT relevant ?
I'm Canadian and not ashamed to tell you , it was a fair question what is the reason to not respond to a harmless question of that nature ?

AL

Al,

Simmer down.
I was simply asking Nimo why he wanted to know, and why he thought it relevent. I also question why he has not asked anyone else. I think I am entitled to ask these questions.

Is he going to suggest that if I am not Canadian then I have no right commenting? Better get Gimp of this debate. I see he is listed as USA.

Sorry to ruin your party, but not only was I born here, but have lived all my 45 years in this country.

Not ruining my party , you cannot carry emotions or emphasis well in the written form , my question had the same relevance as yours and nimo on the previous entries and my point was it was a harmless question and if anyone chose to use a nationality other than Canadian to bash someone then they would loose all integrity of argument/debate by attacking through that venue.

AL

Dr. Tony Farrell, just resigned from the Pacific Salmon Forum, and joined the Center for Aquatic Heath Sciences
http://www.fishfarmingxpert.no/index.php?page_id=76&article_id=80843>

Dr. Farrell admitted that he resigned after attending the initial portion of a meeting called by the Pacific Salmon Forum that issued a Communiqué stating among else that "There was general agreement that the paper's predictions regarding extinction are dependent on future management regimes".

This is the same Dr. Farrell who could not (or possibly did not want to) understand a basic statistical concept in debate with North Coast MLA Gary Coons – the basic understanding of what an average is (http://www.leg.bc.ca/CMT/38thparl/session-2/aquaculture/hansard/W60601a.htm#7:1355) – in this case what is an average number of lice per fish.

In Dr. Farrell’s own words – the concept of an average to Dr. Farrell is discounted “as scientifically impossible”. Believe it or not.

I have faith that his basic understanding of statistics will assist the fish farming industry in their defense against critiques about their destructive industry.

Another related story - the province recently appointed John van Dongen as Acting Solicitor General due to the recent scandal with ICBC (see: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/04/02/bc-icbc-van-dongen-apology.html).

Is that the BC governments response to concerns about conflicts of interest and corruption? To bring-in John van Dongen - the man who had to step aside in 2003 as BCMAFF minister due to a RCMP investigation about his ties to the aquaculture industry, and over allegations he informed a fish farm of an impending inspection.

What's the message - business as usual?

Sockeyefry:

I asked the question because your posts often simply attempt to discredit the truth; you stay on the side of innocent until proven guilty.

I find it interesting that among all of this science there can be no agreement of relevance</u> to the truth of the fish farms and it makes me question how an individual such as yourself could have so little to lose in considering the survival of the wild salmon.

I surely was not questioning your right to this debate, but your motivation. I am not surprised that you are Canadian, I was trying to narrow down your motivation in your absolute support of the continuance of the FFFF industry. This leaves the significant possibility that you are simply so heavily invested in the industry that it is all or nothing for you.

For the record, I am also Canadian and have had the West Coast wild salmon in my blood since I was about 2 years old, introduced to me by my father and grandfather (and to them by their fathers and grandfathers.) My motivation is to ensure that my children have some hope of witnessing the return of these great fish.

Gimp and other non-Canadians are well within their right to participate in this debate and welcomed as stakeholders and individuals concerned about the survival of the Wild Salmon. Our wild salmon know no borders.

Sockeyefry:

I asked the question because your posts often simply attempt to discredit the truth; you stay on the side of innocent until proven guilty.

I find it interesting that among all of this science there can be no agreement of relevance</u> to the truth of the fish farms and it makes me question how an individual such as yourself could have so little to lose in considering the survival of the wild salmon.

I surely was not questioning your right to this debate, but your motivation. I am not surprised that you are Canadian, I was trying to narrow down your motivation in your absolute support of the continuance of the FFFF industry. This leaves the significant possibility that you are simply so heavily invested in the industry that it is all or nothing for you.

For the record, I am also Canadian and have had the West Coast wild salmon in my blood since I was about 2 years old, introduced to me by my father and grandfather (and to them by their fathers and grandfathers.) My motivation is to ensure that my children have some hope of witnessing the return of these great fish.

Gimp and other non-Canadians are well within their right to participate in this debate and welcomed as stakeholders and individuals concerned about the survival of the Wild Salmon. Our wild salmon know no borders.

YES.... I am from the USA and like Nimo have had the West Coast wild salmon in my blood since I was about 12 years old,(so 10 years later) introduced to me by my father (and to him by his father and so on.) Our motivation is the same. To ensure that the next generation of our families can fish for Wild Pacific Salmon. Will I ever become Canaidan? God willing!!!:D Will it be in the next ten years most likely not:(. Does my family have a Float home in the Broughton Archipelago. Darnd skippy we do and I have seen first hand the fishing decrease over the last ten years and the orca leave the area. HEY Fry[:eek:)] can you tell me why the Orca left the Broughton Archipelago? [B)]

YES.... I am from the USA and like Nimo have had the West Coast wild salmon in my blood since I was about 12 years old,(so 10 years later) introduced to me by my father (and to him by his father and so on.) Our motivation is the same. To ensure that the next generation of our families can fish for Wild Pacific Salmon. Will I ever become Canaidan? God willing!!!:D Will it be in the next ten years most likely not:(. Does my family have a Float home in the Broughton Archipelago. Darnd skippy we do and I have seen first hand the fishing decrease over the last ten years and the orca leave the area. HEY Fry[:eek:)] can you tell me why the Orca left the Broughton Archipelago? [B)]

The previous discussion of ISA, and a brief mention of IHN, with Sockeyefry - brings to mind the other known potential diseases and parasitic transfer through the technology of the open net-cage and other interactions between wild and cultured fish. We often forget to mention these other risks, since the sea lice risk is so apparent, critical and is being examined. The other risks have largely - not been looked at.

These potential disease and parasite interactions could be due to a variety of wild/cultured stock interactions, including:

1. direct release of disease and parasitic vectors in waters cohabitated by wild stocks in the vicinity of the net-cages through individually-diseased fish or by release of disease and parasitic vectors in or on the sediments and benthos,
2. the interaction of escaped diseased farm stock in either the marine or freshwater environments with wild stocks of salmon or other species, and
3. the potential for disease transmission by other carriers, including sea lice or other crustaceans (e.g. prawns), avian predators (e.g. herons, gulls, etc.), shellfish (e.g. mussels), or other organisms (e.g. marine mammals).

The following is a partial list of some of the more important salmonid diseases that typically can infect netcage and/or wild fish:

Viral Diseases
•Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHSv) – VHSv is an Egtved virus, mainly affecting rainbow trout (O. mykiss). Vertical transmission of disease. Symptoms: darkening of the skin, bulging eyes, pale gills, the body cavity is filled with yellowish fluid, discoloured kidney.
•Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis (IHNv) – A RNA rhadovirus virus, highly virulent to chinook (O. tshawytscha), sockeye (O. namaycush) and steelhead (O. mykiss). Also affects Atlantic salmon (S. salar). Vertical transmission of disease. Causes anemia. No effective treatment, often 100% mortality. Low-temperature disease. Juvenile salmon and fry are particularly at risk. Symptoms: lethargy, equilibrium problems, pale gills, bleeding at base of fins, opaque faecal casts tailing at vent, abdominal swelling.
•Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis (IPNv) - A virus, difficult to eradicate. Mortality often reaches 85% among young fish. Survivors become carriers for life. Symptoms: erratic swimming,corkscrewing, internal bleeding. Horizontal and vertical transmission of disease.
•Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISAv) - A virus, difficult to eradicate, not yet found in BC, but now found in the Pacific for the first time - in Chilean fish farms. Symptoms: Kidney and spleen hemorrhaging. No known cure.
•Lymohocystis – A DNA iridovirus. Common disease of marine and estuarine fishes, highly contagious. (O. tshawytscha). Symptom s: white nodules on fins, head and sometimes body of fish. Caused by encapsulation of connective tissue cells. Affects value of fish. No known cure.
•Marine anemia - see IHNv

Bacterial Diseases
•Bacterial Kidney Disease (BKD) (Renibacterium salmoninarium) - a gram-positive KD bacterium, especially affects adult chinook (O. tshawytscha). Also affects Atlantic salmon (S. salar). Normally 20-50% mortality in outbreaks. Infection usually happens in freshwater, mortalities in saltwater. Symptoms: Eye lesions, blisters, internal white or gray pustules in kidneys. Treatment: vaccination (preventative) and erythromycin, gallimycin, ovadine, and betadine. Horizontal and vertical transmission.
•Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia (BHS) (Aeromonas hydrophila) - gram negative bacterium. Symptoms: red ulcers, distention of abdomen, blood in intestine. Treatment: oxytetracycline, nitrofurazone, chloramaphenical.
•Enteric Redmouth Disease (Yersina ruckeri) - a KM bacteria. Treatment: vaccines (preventative), and terramycin, furazolidone, sulfamerazine, sulfamethazine, sulfamerazine, ovadine, and betadine.
•Furunculosis (Aeromonas salmonicida) - Gram negative bacterium. Affects Atlantic salmon (S. salar). More virulent at temps &gt; 18oC. Affected fish may become carriers. Symptoms: Necrosis of musculature and internal organs, bleeding at base of pectoral and pelvic fins, swelling and red blisters. Treatment: vaccines (preventative) and oxytetracycline, terramycin, furazolidone, sulfamerazine, sulfamethazine, sulfamerazine, ovadine, betadine, oxolinic acid, and amozillin. Adding vitamins E and C to farm diet helps.
•Vibriosis (Vibrio anguillarum, V. salmonicida and V. ordalii) - Symptoms: Red inflamed areas, and possibly lesions on skin, in musculature and bloody fluid in body cavity. Treatment: vaccination (preventative) and oxytetracycline, oxolinic acid, sarafloxin, erythromycin and streptomycin.

Fungal Diseases and Parasites
•Saprolegnia (Saprolegnia parasitica) - a fungus. Also called "cotton mouth". Treated with malachite green and/or Betadine. Can cause deaths through suffocation if left untreated. High ammonia levels encourages growth of fungus. Treatment: Adding vitamin C to farm fish diet helps.
•Ich (Icthyophthirus multifilus) - a ciliated protozoan parasite. Also called "white spot disease". Can be lethal to freshwater fish. Adult parasite (trophonts) encysts and releases juveniles (theronts) which embed in fish and causes nodules to form on skin. Treat free-swimming stages only. Treatment: formalin, malachite green, copper sulfate, salt baths.
•Ceratomyosis (Ceratomyxa shasta) - A freshwater parasite, no known treatment.
•Whirling disease - A myxosporidian parasite, not yet known to be found in Canada, except possibly in the Columbia River drainage. Especially affects rainbow trout (O. mykiss). Causes swimming problems and skeletal deformities. Horizontally transmitted.
•Sea lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis and Caligus clemensi) - An external parasitic copepod. The copepod can be a vector for other diseases. Especially affects Atlantic salmon (S. salar), also coho (O. kisutch) and chinook (O. tshawytscha). Treatment: hydrogen peroxide, pyrethin, ivermectin, Neguvon, Nuvan, or azamethipos.
•Trichodina (Trichodina sp.)- An external hookworm parasite. May occur on body, skin, fins, and gills. Treat with formalin and acetic acid. Treatment: formalin, acetic acid, salt baths.
•Soft flesh (Kudoa thyrsites) - A parasite that infects the muscles. Affects Atlantic salmon (S. salar), probably not Oncorhynchus spp.
•Eye parasites – anecdotal evidence that arrowtooth flounder found near fish farms are more exposed to this parasite.

I believe that one of the other problems with fish farms is that they often become a nexus of disease and parasite transfer; is because they draw fish together near the cages to interact and stay – which then allows and promotes transfer of diseases and parasites.

Not only are there uneaten feed pellets which attract fish, but shrimp and prawns are attracted to the accumulation of fish faeces (i.e. poo) – which draw fish in that are attracted to the shrimp and prawns. The physical structures also provide shelter for wild fish, as well as the lighting of the structures at night attracts fish and prey of fish.

All of this attraction to wild fish and combined length of stay and potential for interactions – means that fish farms are the equivalent of aquatic truck stops. If only 1 person had TB at a truck stop, and sneezed on only a few people – the results could be grave.

Only difference is – with fish farms, we wouldn’t see it – or notice it right away. Out of sight - out of mind.

Sockeye states: "Regarding the Rainbows and ISA, when the outbreak in Norway occured, they tested to see if their farmed rainbows were at risk. They found that they could carry the virus, but not be affected by it". - meaning farmed rainbows were probably the carriers.

Furthermore he writes: "Eradicated was probably the wrong word, more like controlled. ISA was a problem in NB in the 90's, and through the implementation of strict protocols, it seems to be under control as it has not reached the previous levels. BTW no wild atlantics were ever found with the disease. That is peculiar because usually there is a source identified, ususally from the wild population." - again - meaning farmed Atlantics were probably the carriers

Like I said "out of sight - out of mind".

I find it more than a little scary that ISA is in Chile - in the Pacific, now. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/w...07195200&en=219732e22628748c&ei=5070&emc=eta1
(Thanks for the postings, Nerka, Old Black Dog and Dave H.)

Chile does not have wild salmon. The only possible source is from farmed salmon. Now they brought that disease (with no cure except death) - into the Pacific. Chile is not that far away, with respect to some highly migratory species. Look at how far fish like tuna swim.

Is ISA only known to affect salmon? Will the forage fish/fishmeal industry take a hit? Could escaped farmed salmon carry ISA? Could other species (esp. tuna or a secondary bird host?) carry ISA? Could other fish species (or a secondary host) pass it along - even as far as our waters, now?

What assurances do we have that it will not happen? Look at how far and fast some diseases like bird flu, mad cow disease, etc - have travelled..

Isn't that a scary concept? Do you really think the industry is so benign? Want some more examples of aquatic transfer?

•Ichthyophonus, often infects perch (Sebastes aultus) and yellowtail rockfish (Sebastes flavedus),
•Pacific hake (Merlucius productus) carries Kudoa (Kabata and Whitaker 1986) which is a known problem in net-cage operations,
•rockfish (Sebastes sp.) can be infected by a herpesvirus (Kent and Myers 2000),
•commercially-important rockfishes (Sebastes spp.) can get bacterial infections (Kent et al. 2001),
•Pacific herring (Clupea harengus) L. can also be infected with sea lice (Caligus elongatus) (MacKenzie and Morrison 1989), viral erythrocytic necrosis (VEN) and BHS (Traxler and Bell 1988),
•flounders (Anstensrud 1992), and juvenile gadids (Neilson, et al. 1987) are susceptible to sea lice, and
•pen-reared and wild-caught salmon can harbour the larval Anisakis simplex (herring worm) (Deardorff and Kent 1989).
•BKD is capable of surviving for up to 21 days outside the host in sediment/faecal matter; sufficient time to ensure successful horizontal transmission to nearby salmonids (EVS 2000),
•The mussel Mytilus edulis could act as a reservoir of BKD (Paclibare et al. 1994),
•Vibriosis and furunculosis have been detected in sediments beneath salmon farms 1.5-3 years after a farm was abandoned (Husevag et al. 1991, 1995, Enger et al. 1989). Many Vibrio spp., which includes Vibrio cholera that causes cholera in humans, as well as Vibrio parahaemolyticus, are becoming recognized as a human health risk (http://www.shellfishquality.ca/vibrio.htm),
•Shellfish, including crusteaceans, could be involved in the mutual transmission of vibriosis to/from net-cage fish and shellfish beds (Greenberg et al. 1982, Kelly and Dinuzzo 1985, DePaola et al. 1994, Croci et al. 2001),
•Furunculosis has been transmitted between net-cages over distances of 24 km (EVS 2000),
•Sediment enrichment and anoxia conditions that develop beneath net-cages, promote colonization by tubificid worms (Brinkhurst 1982, Gray 1979) which are known to be intermediate hosts for myxozoan parasites,
•the sea louse Lepeophtheirus salmonis could be a vector or secondary host to a variety of diseases and parasites that infect fish (Nylund et al. 1991), including IHNv (Johnson et al. 1996), ISA (Nylund et al. 1993, Rolland and Nylund 1998), Aeromonas salmonicida (Nese and Enger 1993), and platyhelminthes (Minchin and Jackson 1993), and
•Otters can carry Yersinia ruckeri (Collins et al. 1996). There may be a wide variety of other bacterial and viral diseases, along with parasites that can potentially infect otters, or other fisheating mammals, including minks (Mustela vison), river otters (Lontra canadensis) and harbour seals (P. vitulina), for example.

Think the open net-cage is a good technology?

Agent,

Pretty impressive listing of some aquatic diseases, all or which are found in wild fish. However, nowhere did you state any connetion between farm salmon and the diseases, except the finding of vibrios at an old farm site. Vibrios are ubiquitous in the marine environment, so finding them in the sea is not big deal. You do of course realise that all the listed diseases occur in nature, and were not created by fish farms?

You don't really understand how the disease transmission works do you? Just because a person with TB sneezes does not mean you will get sick. Farmed salmon by the nature of their environment are at far greater risk of disease transmission from the wild than are the wild salmon. Wild salmon do come down with various diseases, but this usually occurs when they are stressed. such as during spawning runs.

You also should up date your source, as some of the treatments are no longer used.

I do agree that the finding of ISA in Chile is quite worrisome. Not for the wild stocks, but for the salmon farmer on the west coast.

In Norway, when ISA occurred, they did quite exhaustive testing on the virus to determine as much about it as possible. Through these tests, they found that only Atlantic salmon were susceptible to the virus. By doing exposure trials, they found that some other fish species could carry it without exhibiting any symptoms. This does not mean that the farmed rainbows were the source as you concluded.

Agent,

Pretty impressive listing of some aquatic diseases, all or which are found in wild fish. However, nowhere did you state any connetion between farm salmon and the diseases, except the finding of vibrios at an old farm site. Vibrios are ubiquitous in the marine environment, so finding them in the sea is not big deal. You do of course realise that all the listed diseases occur in nature, and were not created by fish farms?

You don't really understand how the disease transmission works do you? Just because a person with TB sneezes does not mean you will get sick. Farmed salmon by the nature of their environment are at far greater risk of disease transmission from the wild than are the wild salmon. Wild salmon do come down with various diseases, but this usually occurs when they are stressed. such as during spawning runs.

You also should up date your source, as some of the treatments are no longer used.

I do agree that the finding of ISA in Chile is quite worrisome. Not for the wild stocks, but for the salmon farmer on the west coast.

In Norway, when ISA occurred, they did quite exhaustive testing on the virus to determine as much about it as possible. Through these tests, they found that only Atlantic salmon were susceptible to the virus. By doing exposure trials, they found that some other fish species could carry it without exhibiting any symptoms. This does not mean that the farmed rainbows were the source as you concluded.

The hoof and mouth disease of the salmon farming industry

Stephen Hume
Special to the Sun

Monday, April 07, 2008

It's been a bruising fortnight for fish farmers. First, a blockbuster story March 27 in the New York Times outlined the difficulties plaguing Chile's salmon farms.

Then provincial Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Pat Bell announced a moratorium on expansion of fish farms to the north coast "until we figure out how to move forward with a long-term vision for aquaculture."

Next, Scotland's Sunday Herald newspaper reported that the Scottish government's Fisheries Research Services found "strong evidence that sea lice from caged salmon contaminate wild fish -- and the problem seems to be getting worse."

And this week, word that research in Clayoquot Sound suggests an increased sea lice presence in proximity to salmon farms in a region that was previously considered a "zero lice" zone.

Michael Price, fish biologist for the Raincoast Conservation Foundation, insisted work was preliminary and samples small but confirmed that sea lice loads in plankton trawls near three fish farm sites were an average of 28 times those found at control sites.

This follows other research indicating elevated burdens of sea lice on immature wild salmon in the Broughton archipelago and in the Discovery Islands off Campbell River where fish farms are concentrated.

The big story, though, is the aftershock from mainstream American media paying attention to Chile, where a lethal, highly communicable and so far incurable virus has been raging through farmed salmon stocks since last July.

According to the Times story, infectious salmon anemia has killed millions of fish, resulted in more than a thousand layoffs by one major employer -- about one in four workers -- as infected sites closed, and is sending tremors through retail markets in Japan, Europe and the United States.

There's no evidence that ISA is transmissible from fish to mammals or that it affects humans in any way, but reassuring customers still twitchy in the aftermath of concerns about mad cow disease is likely to pose a significant marketing challenge.

Identified as an "emerging viral pathogen" by the United States department of agriculture's animal and plant health inspection service, ISA belongs to the orthomyxovirus family of viruses.

Like the "flu" virus, what's most alarming about ISA is what the U.S. government's veterinarian service says is its ability to mutate rapidly by recombining genetic elements within its hosts.

For example, researchers have found significant molecular differences between strains of the virus in Norway, Scotland and New Brunswick. These outbreaks in the 1990s caused more than $50 million in estimated damage.

So consider ISA the hoof and mouth disease of the global salmon farming industry.

According to an information leaflet from the U.S. government's National Fish Health Research Laboratory, infected blood, feces, urine and mucus, animal wastes, contaminated slaughter facilities, transport vessels and workers all easily transmit it from fish to fish and from site to site.

As with hoof and mouth, the standard treatment is to kill all infected or exposed stocks within designated containment zones, disinfect all equipment and facilities and then keep fingers crossed.

What does an outbreak of ISA in Chile have to do with salmon farmers on Canada's West Coast? Think bird flu in Indonesia.

Despite vigorous hygiene control, its virulence, transmissibility, rapid mutation and genetic recombination make it a continuing threat -- in the case of ISA not to people but to farmed and possibly also wild fish stocks.

Since ISA first emerged in Norway in 1984, it has marched halfway around the planet. Known outbreaks have occurred in New Brunswick, 1996, Nova Scotia and Scotland, 1998, Chile, 1999, Faroe Islands, 2000, U.S., 2001 and Chile again, 2007.

Thus far the disease has been limited to Atlantic salmon, but there are gloomy hints that it might be extending its reach. The U.S. government notes "other wild fish are also susceptible to infection" including both sea run and freshwater brown and rainbow trout, and herring, all of which are important B.C. species. It also says ISA has affected coho and Chinook salmon in some isolated cases.

Furthermore, it says sea lice, already the source of debate in B.C., may also play a role as vectors that can enhance contagion during epidemics. That promises to stoke the discussion. And so it should.

shume@islandnet.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

The hoof and mouth disease of the salmon farming industry

Stephen Hume
Special to the Sun

Monday, April 07, 2008

It's been a bruising fortnight for fish farmers. First, a blockbuster story March 27 in the New York Times outlined the difficulties plaguing Chile's salmon farms.

Then provincial Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Pat Bell announced a moratorium on expansion of fish farms to the north coast "until we figure out how to move forward with a long-term vision for aquaculture."

Next, Scotland's Sunday Herald newspaper reported that the Scottish government's Fisheries Research Services found "strong evidence that sea lice from caged salmon contaminate wild fish -- and the problem seems to be getting worse."

And this week, word that research in Clayoquot Sound suggests an increased sea lice presence in proximity to salmon farms in a region that was previously considered a "zero lice" zone.

Michael Price, fish biologist for the Raincoast Conservation Foundation, insisted work was preliminary and samples small but confirmed that sea lice loads in plankton trawls near three fish farm sites were an average of 28 times those found at control sites.

This follows other research indicating elevated burdens of sea lice on immature wild salmon in the Broughton archipelago and in the Discovery Islands off Campbell River where fish farms are concentrated.

The big story, though, is the aftershock from mainstream American media paying attention to Chile, where a lethal, highly communicable and so far incurable virus has been raging through farmed salmon stocks since last July.

According to the Times story, infectious salmon anemia has killed millions of fish, resulted in more than a thousand layoffs by one major employer -- about one in four workers -- as infected sites closed, and is sending tremors through retail markets in Japan, Europe and the United States.

There's no evidence that ISA is transmissible from fish to mammals or that it affects humans in any way, but reassuring customers still twitchy in the aftermath of concerns about mad cow disease is likely to pose a significant marketing challenge.

Identified as an "emerging viral pathogen" by the United States department of agriculture's animal and plant health inspection service, ISA belongs to the orthomyxovirus family of viruses.

Like the "flu" virus, what's most alarming about ISA is what the U.S. government's veterinarian service says is its ability to mutate rapidly by recombining genetic elements within its hosts.

For example, researchers have found significant molecular differences between strains of the virus in Norway, Scotland and New Brunswick. These outbreaks in the 1990s caused more than $50 million in estimated damage.

So consider ISA the hoof and mouth disease of the global salmon farming industry.

According to an information leaflet from the U.S. government's National Fish Health Research Laboratory, infected blood, feces, urine and mucus, animal wastes, contaminated slaughter facilities, transport vessels and workers all easily transmit it from fish to fish and from site to site.

As with hoof and mouth, the standard treatment is to kill all infected or exposed stocks within designated containment zones, disinfect all equipment and facilities and then keep fingers crossed.

What does an outbreak of ISA in Chile have to do with salmon farmers on Canada's West Coast? Think bird flu in Indonesia.

Despite vigorous hygiene control, its virulence, transmissibility, rapid mutation and genetic recombination make it a continuing threat -- in the case of ISA not to people but to farmed and possibly also wild fish stocks.

Since ISA first emerged in Norway in 1984, it has marched halfway around the planet. Known outbreaks have occurred in New Brunswick, 1996, Nova Scotia and Scotland, 1998, Chile, 1999, Faroe Islands, 2000, U.S., 2001 and Chile again, 2007.

Thus far the disease has been limited to Atlantic salmon, but there are gloomy hints that it might be extending its reach. The U.S. government notes "other wild fish are also susceptible to infection" including both sea run and freshwater brown and rainbow trout, and herring, all of which are important B.C. species. It also says ISA has affected coho and Chinook salmon in some isolated cases.

Furthermore, it says sea lice, already the source of debate in B.C., may also play a role as vectors that can enhance contagion during epidemics. That promises to stoke the discussion. And so it should.

shume@islandnet.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

Back