fish farm siting criteria & politics

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

quote:Originally posted by agentaqua

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Wow… I am not so sure it was very smart trying to compare British Columbia wild salmon declines with, “Heterosigma blooms in Puget Sound”?
Thanks for this Charlie, but who was comparing British Columbia wild salmon declines with, “Heterosigma blooms in Puget Sound? I watched the video like 5 times, and never heard it mentioned.

Another study, with research headed by Jack Rensel of Washington state-based Rensel Associates Aquatic Sciences, concludes that major algae blooms are responsible for low returns.
I believe "they" were? And, it is "apples" and "oranges", taken out of context!

Okay - I get it now - it was the guys at the bottom of your posting saying this sh*t. Wow. Thanks.

Volcanic eruption leads to surge in phytoplankton

“It’s a world first,” David Welch, president and CEO of Kintama Research Corporation, said of the study, which he described briefly on Monday in giving expert testimony on the opening day of the Cohen Commission of Inquiry.

“Our contribution has been to narrow down the likely location for the mortality, but not demonstrate the cause,” he said.

Headed by British Columbia Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen, the federal inquiry is charged with finding out why only about one million sockeye returned to the Fraser in 2009, when more than 10 million had been expected.

Dr. Welch said in an interview that the 200 young fish were tagged as part of a study into Cultus Lake sockeye, a small, endangered sub-population found on the lower Fraser River.

The Cultus fish went to sea at the same time and followed the same ocean migration route as millions of other young sockeye that left the Fraser that spring – fish that would later disappear en masse.

Dr. Welch, whose company has pioneered research using an array of acoustic sensors set along the continental shelf, said the tagged fish were tracked out of the Fraser and north, through Georgia Strait.

It has long been speculated the most likely location for the mass mortality of Fraser stocks was at the river’s mouth, because the transformation from fresh to salt water is often traumatic for salmon.

Others have suggested fish farms, clustered near the north end of Vancouver Island, may be to blame.

But the tagged fish moved rapidly past the north end of Vancouver Island before their signals were lost. The fish never reached the next monitoring post, in Alaska.

“Between the north end of Vancouver Island and Alaska, the fish seemed to stop migrating,” Dr. Welch said in an interview.

He said his data, and information the Department of Fisheries and Oceans collected in netting surveys, shows the Fraser sockeye run met its end in Hecate Strait, shortly after passing Broughton Archipelago, at the north end of Vancouver Island.

“This raises the issue of whether the poor marine survival was caused by disease transfer from the fish farms in this region or if other factors (e.g., poor ocean conditions) were responsible, or if there was perhaps a combination of impacts,” he said in a written submission.

The telemetry study was unique because it not only tracked salmon going out, but picked up the survivors on their return by putting the transmitter batteries to sleep for two years, then restarting them when the fish were expected back in B.C. waters.

He said researchers were delighted when two inbound signals were detected in July, 2009. The fish, returning from a migration circuit that covered thousands of kilometers of ocean, arrived back at the southern end of Vancouver Island on the same day.

Dr. Welch said none of the other 200 fish survived, reflecting the collapse of the broader Fraser run.

Mary Ellen Walling, executive director of the BC Salmon Farmers Association, said last year’s sockeye collapse was followed this year by the biggest return in nearly a century, which clearly indicates fish farms are not hurting wild stocks.

“It’s a very complicated issue . . . [and] we need to look at all the factors,” said Ms. Walling. “[But] our data from our farms doesn’t indicate disease issues or lice issues.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...olves-part-of-sockeye-mystery/article1772014/

I'm up to page 8 or so on this thread so far. Hopefully I'll be able to find time to read it all in the coming weeks. May have to make it my 2012 resolution :) So far it's been an incredibly insightful thread. Hopefully it has a good ending but I'm afraid I know the answer to that already.

Agent has been a great advocate for the welfare of Pacific salmon. After my thread folded up, his carried on and he duke'd-it-out with the likes of Sockeye and Barbie for many months. Many on this forum contributed great input into the issues of salmon farming. I/we all owe him a debt of gratitude for helping to increase public awareness into this tragic and crooked fiasco.

Long live Agentaqua!

This Friday (Feb. 2), Prime Minister Trudeau is holding his first townhall of the year at Vancouver Island University (VIU) in Nanaimo!
Will you come with us to stand up for salmon at this public event? Bring your friends, family, neighbours and let's show the Prime Minister that British Columbians care about the future of our wild salmon.

Morning registration begins at 9 a.m. in the VIU cafeteria so come early!
The townhall begins at 11 a.m. in the VIU gymnasium. You can view the campus map HERE

When you arrive, you'll see our team of volunteers with a banner and wearing our Watershed Watch t-shirts. Come on over and introduce yourselves!

When it comes to salmon, Trudeau's government has talked a good game, but has yet to make good on commitments to restore the Fisheries Act and implement the recommendations of the Cohen Commission. Open-net salmon farms are still spreading viruses and parasites to our wild fish, and the feds have approved several fish-killing mega-projects. This summer, across the province, we saw some of the worst salmon returns on record. We need action NOW.

https://www.facebook.com/events/367450533726704/

Test in but well known for years.
“That to me is probably the most frustrating. Many of us have had concerns that virulent pathogens are being distributed into nursery waters of juvenile salmon for nearly eight years now,” Price told DeSmog Canada.

Effluent released from fish processing plants is also not screened to limit the amount of tissue of infected fish being released into the ocean, Price said.

“And we know this is exactly how pathogens are transmitted: through mucus and slime and the tissue of infected fish.”

The release of untreated effluent is not permitted in European countries where fish farming takes place, Price noted.

“They have biosecurity practices in place in Scotland, Norway, other countries where there’s an aquaculture industry. These farmed salmon companies know this, these are the rules they play by there,” Price said.

Back