Fish farm releases thousands of Atlantic salmon east of Victoria

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by I Love Haida Gwaii, Aug 22, 2017.

1. I Love Haida Gwaii

I Love Haida Gwaii Active Member

2. kingblazer84

kingblazer84 Well-Known Member

now the finger pointing begins... this will be an interesting probe into the fish farms.

3. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Active Member

Hopefully now Fin Donnelly will get a bit more traction with bill C-228.

These guys are blaming tides and the solar eclipse??? Build the Atlantic salmon a pool and be done with it already.

Whitebuck, BCRingo, Aridhol and 2 others like this.
  4. Franko Manini

Franko Manini Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. It's the eclipse's fault! That reads like a Donald Trump tweet. I wonder how viable these fish will be. Can they even catch food to survive? All they have ever eaten is their pellet feed.

tincan likes this.
  5. TanTastic84

TanTastic84 Member

Best news: NO LIMIT on wild Puget Sound Atlantic Salmon!!!

Now, what do you all think is the "best lure" for these beauties? I've heard plug cut hot dogs work really well.....

6. Alex_c

Alex_c Active Member

Fancy Feast teaser head I've heard is the cat's meow.

and tides? Really? I know Trump is a thing but do they think Americans can swallow that much BS?

7. I Love Haida Gwaii

Is this the biggest realese of Alanatic Salmon on the west coast?

7000 adult fish seems like a large introduction into the environment.

8. wishiniwasfishin1

wishiniwasfishin1 Well-Known Member

I read it was closer to 305,000

9. I Love Haida Gwaii

Holy crap! 305k is a lot more than I thought. That would be the whole pen..... How stupid can you be to grow an invasive species in your back yard?? Its the same in Alberta.. Some farmers needed to raise wild bores & promised they would never get out.....

Hopefully they are dumb & slow so the orcas & seals can have a hay day....

eriks, Alex_c and Clint r like this.
  10. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Well-Known Member

11. vicsurfer

vicsurfer Active Member

12. wishiniwasfishin1

wishiniwasfishin1 Well-Known Member

Here is the article form Seattle Times saying 305K fish.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...sherman-being-told-catch-as-many-as-you-want/

13. Aridhol

Aridhol Active Member

I read 305,000 as well.
    Will there likely be an opportunity to catch these buggers?
    I'm in Victoria.
    Civic duty to get these out of the water as soon as possible :)

14. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

Boys in WA state say a Brad's Cut Plug stuffed with fish pellets does the trick and I bet Prawn bait would work too.

Speaking of which I wouldn't eat a farmed Atlantic but if you step on it before putting it down for Halis it should do the trick.

[​IMG]

15. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

I hope I don't see them estuaries again along the island and BC mainland. This is no good especially now.

16. Rockfish

Rockfish Well-Known Member

The answer to the inevitable question. -- its easy, - lots of large spots on the body, no spots on tail and most distinctive of all, large black spots on the gill plate.

17. I'm originally from Port Alberni and over my years of fishing the river we have caught Atlanta salmon on more than one occasion

abl likes this.
  18. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

I caught one guiding out of CR 27 years ago.......no frigging clue what it was but it was big, so it was successfully hunting. Eventually got a hold of DFO to ID it.

I also remember back in those days DFO used to shock areas of streams that were showing atlantics in them......none of this is good news, just heard on the radio that its open season on them here also. Not a chance any of that crap will be table fare in any form in my house, except possibly as dogbreath said part of the hali food chain or perhaps crabs.

pretty gross is what it is:mad:

19. salmonkiller01

salmonkiller01 Well-Known Member

Need to tie a fly pattern to target them that matches their natural feed
    [​IMG]

20. vicsurfer

vicsurfer Active Member

tincan, el.Pereh, Discus and 3 others like this.