Finally the Hourston rebuild pics

Charter Tofino

Well the maiden voyage is done so here is the rebuild that a few people were asking about. A 23.5 Hourston Sedan. It's not my boat but my good buddy whom i have fished with since we were kids. With the serious help of a few friends he finally finished it (almost). Big thanks to Breakers Boat Shop in Port Alberni and Bamfield for all the help! Great people working there and top notch service. For anyone considering a rebuild of this caliber be prepared for a larger financial and work investment than expected. Although the effort involved was absolutely insane, now that its done its quite amazing to have a fully custom rig.

Here is what was originally purchased (In turns out C.S owned and contemplated rebuilding this rig at one point). Apologies for some of the photos being small.

hourstan.jpg

hourston2.jpg

hourston3.jpg

hourston.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is where the work began

hourston4.jpg

Everything was stripped down to the hull. The stringers and transom were sound but beefed up a bit.

hourston5.jpg

hourston9.jpg

The inboard leg was glassed over.

hourston7.jpg

hourston11.jpg

Some of the interior then began to take shape.

hourston8.jpg

hourston12.jpg

After more work was finished inside and the tanks, floor, seat boxes were installed the top/pod were fitted.

fad91dbc.jpg

It's an absolute fishing machine. One of the best layouts I've ever fished in.

IMG_0654.jpg

She handles great and had a top speed of 52 mph with 4 guys and gas.

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Got her out in some slop this weekend and she handled it well. The Hourston hull cuts chop and swell nicely.

0ddb44f1.jpg

And most importantly she kills fish!

boys2.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

There are still some final touches with the most important being black canvas and clear plastic from the windows to the roof. That should be done later this week. Keep an eye out for her in Barkley and offshore this summer.

It's an absolute fishing machine. One of the best layouts I've ever fished in.

Kelly, could you detail some of the custom mods that made this one of the best for you as far as layouts? Right away I noticed the rear stearing, and really like the rear sounder/gps (even without the steering this would be handy for those running the gear and working the bottom)

I can see the rear storage compartments (x3) where you made use of the new transom space....

can you list some of your favorites that weren't visible in the pictures? A deadly rig for sure....will be one of the quicker boats in the sound thats for sure!

Cool documentation with the photos Kelly. That boat looks kick azz. That's pretty awesome top end speed too!!

Congrats to everyone who worked on her.

Cheers,

John

Good to see the bc tough are still kicking.
GLG

Absolutely OUT FRICKIN STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great restore. What a terrific reward for so much work. At the first pics, I thought......Uh oh..... but the result is a masterpiece.

I will be looking for that boat in July and August. .

Congrats guys, job well done! Truely inspiring and awsome to see the pics start to finish, way to go. Time to turn her from white to "red", get her bloody this summer.

Cheers.

Back