Feedback BYOB Lodge Esperanza Inlet

I'm moving my June bamfield trip to elsewhere because of bad inshore fishing so would consider other locations. I'm sure others would as well.

I have an opportunity to turn Rodgers fishing camp in Port Eliza inlet into a BYOB destination for both the general public and the independent guides that need accommodations. I am looking at developing a business similar to the way Critter cove is being run. I believe the fishing community needs more accommodations close to the fishing grounds in Esperanza Inlet. I would love to hear your feedback on the viability of this idea. Doug the owner of Rodgers Lodge will be moving his guides and business to the east coast of the Island offering guided fishing trips, whale and grizzly watching tours. They will soon be opening an office in Campbell River.

Not sure If I'm missing something here. I just looked at Rodgers fish camp's website and they show two BYOB packages they offer already. You are saying you would "turn Rodgers fishing camp in Port Eliza inlet into a BYOB destination"....?

I think what he needs to hear is that you would go in June, early July or September. I will go up to the area again, but I will be there in late July as I have always done. Everyone is busy at that time so as an owner you will likely turn people away. You need to find a sure fire way to be at capacity from June through September to make it and stick around.
I imagine it would be hard to fill anything but the peak season which seems to be the last two weeks in July and the first two weeks of August. Critter and Westview both hold derbies out of the prime season to drum up more business. It is a long ways to go and expensive ferry ride for many to go out of the peak season.

Hard to pay a couple thousand bucks for marginal fishing. My family has a house and boat in Tahsis so I fish from April through September with additional trips for things like diving. Get an air compressor band I will stop by to have tanks filled. Lots of times in May and June I never even see other boats. The early season fishability really is dependent on the weather as the fish are mostly offshore. I would have a hard time booking a non prime season time and hoping the weather will be decent enough to fish offshore.

I personally don’t know how it could ever pencil out to be a money maker. Think the only way is if you are independently wealthy and want to have a business that loses money each year as a tax write off.

Last edited:
Not sure If I'm missing something here. I just looked at Rodgers fish camp's website and they show two BYOB packages they offer already. You are saying you would "turn Rodgers fishing camp in Port Eliza inlet into a BYOB destination"....?
Rodgers is moving their guiding business to campbell river. The lodge would be run through my company and the lodge would be run as a byob destination vice guided trips. The only guided trips that would be run out of the lodge will be independent guides with their own clients.

I think what he needs to hear is that you would go in June, early July or September. I will go up to the area again, but I will be there in late July as I have always done. Everyone is busy at that time so as an owner you will likely turn people away. You need to find a sure fire way to be at capacity from June through September to make it and stick around.

Exactly - establish a set of prices for both prime and non-prime times to make it pay. I'm involved with a small group of guys (+/- 16) that spend a few days around the end of August fishing. We went to Rodgers for several years, but the fuel cost to get there and a higher BYOB rate "encouraged" us to look elsewhere. We've found a great alternative that offers a very competitive price for theBYOB part and a much lower fuel cost to get to. We know that the fishing at that time of the year is hit and miss, but for our group, the time on the water and the time around the fire at the end of the day with a bunch of friends who may only see each other once a year is about as important as actually catching fish.

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone for their wise and thoughtful feedback. I have decided go ahead with turning the lodge at Port Eliza into a BYOB destination and look forward to having the opportunity to meet and have each and everyone of you stay at our lodge. Please follow us at www.twinstrike.com for more information about this new opportunity for the byob community.

make sure you and customers that come do not lease any halibut quota or you get the brunt of bad feelings and the boycotting of your dream.

good luck out there!! it is a lifestyle for sure!!

I would like to thank everyone for their wise and thoughtful feedback. I have decided go ahead with turning the lodge at Port Eliza into a BYOB destination and look forward to having the opportunity to meet and have each and everyone of you stay at our lodge. Please follow us at www.twinstrike.com for more information about this new opportunity for the byob community.

Best of luck with it! I will probably swing by on one of my trips by in the spring time to check out the place if that is ok. Are you going to advertise at the big functions like the BC Sportsman show and the Seattle Boat Show? Both are able to reach a large audience.

Usually stay at Westview on the dock it's been nice over the years food fuel and bait.
Running back and forth gets old.
I'll definitely check you guys out on the next trip.

I have an opportunity to turn Rodgers fishing camp in Port Eliza inlet into a BYOB destination for both the general public and the independent guides that need accommodations. I am looking at developing a business similar to the way Critter cove is being run. I believe the fishing community needs more accommodations close to the fishing grounds in Esperanza Inlet. I would love to hear your feedback on the viability of this idea. Doug the owner of Rodgers Lodge will be moving his guides and business to the east coast of the Island offering guided fishing trips, whale and grizzly watching tours. They will soon be opening an office in Campbell River.

Jim,

Just saw this.

You have a great concept here. As far as I am concerned, the more people exposed to the incredible beauty and consistent fishing the West Coast has to offer, the better. As the Marketing Manager for Nootka Marine Adventures (Moutcha Bay Resort, Nootka Sound resort and Newton Cove Resort) here are my 2 cents:
- At a minimum, make sure you do your absolute best to deliver what you are promising. Whether you charge $50 a night or $300, guests deserve an experience where water, electricity, ice, fish processing, gas and food are never a concern. Sure, we all face challenges from time to time during the season, but ensuring that top notch, environmentally friendly infrastructure and dedicated, passionate staff are is in place will save you considerable headaches down the road. Our friends at Critter Cove are a prime a example of this as they have established a reputation of exceeding clients expectations - one of the many reasons why they are booked years in advance.
- As you are well aware, Esperanza is a different fishing experience than Nootka Sound. It is usually not until the middle of July that the fish "turn the corner" and head into the protected Inlets. As a result, the staple is fishing off-shore if the wind is favourable or Ferrer, Pin, Catala etc. if it is not. For those that have fished with us before they are aware of the challenges, for those who have not, they soon realize that the area is strewn with reefs, rocks and unpredictable wind and wether conditions. You may wish to consider having an briefing session with newbies to the area to explain how to safely access and return from these locals as well as an overview of the depths, speed, bait, tackle and techniques, VHF channel etc.used. Safety of all guests is paramount.

I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavour. If we can assist in any during the season, remember we are just around the corner and please feel free to drop by anytime for a cold one. We monitor your channel and of course we can always be contacted on channel 6.

Cheers,

James

Jim,

Just saw this.

You have a great concept here. As far as I am concerned, the more people exposed to the incredible beauty and consistent fishing the West Coast has to offer, the better. As the Marketing Manager for Nootka Marine Adventures (Moutcha Bay Resort, Nootka Sound resort and Newton Cove Resort) here are my 2 cents:
- At a minimum, make sure you do your absolute best to deliver what you are promising. Whether you charge $50 a night or $300, guests deserve an experience where water, electricity, ice, fish processing, gas and food are never a concern. Sure, we all face challenges from time to time during the season, but ensuring that top notch, environmentally friendly infrastructure and dedicated, passionate staff are is in place will save you considerable headaches down the road. Our friends at Critter Cove are a prime a example of this as they have established a reputation of exceeding clients expectations - one of the many reasons why they are booked years in advance.
- As you are well aware, Esperanza is a different fishing experience than Nootka Sound. It is usually not until the middle of July that the fish "turn the corner" and head into the protected Inlets. As a result, the staple is fishing off-shore if the wind is favourable or Ferrer, Pin, Catala etc. if it is not. For those that have fished with us before they are aware of the challenges, for those who have not, they soon realize that the area is strewn with reefs, rocks and unpredictable wind and wether conditions. You may wish to consider having an briefing session with newbies to the area to explain how to safely access and return from these locals as well as an overview of the depths, speed, bait, tackle and techniques, VHF channel etc.used. Safety of all guests is paramount.

I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavour. If we can assist in any during the season, remember we are just around the corner and please feel free to drop by anytime for a cold one. We monitor your channel and of course we can always be contacted on channel 6.

Cheers,

James
James,
Thanks for the positive feedback I truly appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to offer your thoughts. I really look forward to working with you in the future. Our fishing area is really one of the best areas to fish in the world and look forward to working with all the lodges in the area to promote our fantastic fishing opportunities. Talk to you soon.
Jim

Good feedback from James. I hope this is not the start of a collusion but rather a healthy - friendly competition! NMA pricing could need a little bit of local pressure! :) Just saying!

There is much to be learnt from Nootka Marine Adventures; their rental boat fleet - best on the coast. Pricing for the rental boats: too much. Great marina, great provisions, outstanding staff, great accommodations - pricing too much for middle class customers, especially not affordable for families.

There is much to be learnt from Nootka Marine Adventures; their rental boat fleet - best on the coast. Pricing for the rental boats: too much. Great marina, great provisions, outstanding staff, great accommodations - pricing too much for middle class customers, especially not affordable for families.
I believe that Nootka Marine Adventures is not our competition and it is incumbent on all the businesses in our area to promote and work together to raise the profile of Nootka Sound.

Rogers is doing it now but it's a major inconvenience to the current guiding operations. I purchased meals and boat moorage for six days in late July/early August this past summer and had a decent time. After several awkward discussions with guides about fishing and locations it was very obvious that they wished we weren't there. There were a few exceptions but I can see it working as a lodge for anglers who want to do it on their own. It is definitely not a small boat show. Most of the decent fishing was a ways off shore. My 2 cents. Good luck.

I second this
Great advertising keeping this post fresh
Doug is advertising daily
Curious to see if the say no to the quota is presented yet some of the quote Unquote guides are quota participating as seen at other places.

New pricing for byob is only targeting short term clients and not the critter model in my opinion.

Back