Federal Government Approves Kinder Morgan and Line 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we wanted pipelines and more tankers we (the majority) would have voted for Harper. He (trudeau) ran his campaign on an environmental and climate change background. Looks like he's forgotten all about that. looks like he's broken alot of promises with first nations also.
There's going to be alot of tanker traffic in the lower mainland now. I thought I read that it will be going from 1 tanker a week to one a day. will be interesting to see the protests that result from this.
Hope northern gateway remains canned.

If we wanted pipelines and more tankers we (the majority) would have voted for Harper. He (trudeau) ran his campaign on an environmental and climate change background. Looks like he's forgotten all about that. looks like he's broken alot of promises with first nations also.
There's going to be alot of tanker traffic in the lower mainland now. I thought I read that it will be going from 1 tanker a week to one a day. will be interesting to see the protests that result from this.
Hope northern gateway remains canned.
yep! Canned..

With the recent funding announcement for spill response, you knew one of the two coastal pipelines were going to be approved. I'm certainly happy to see the end of Northern Gateway, but not excited about a tripling of tanker traffic in Burrard Inlet and JDF. The land portion I don't have a problem with. Since the route is already established, it won't entail excessive disruption, and safety and spill frequency are both far better with pipes than road or rail tankers.

Strategic implications... can anyone tell me what this means to overall oil sands production? Will it result in an expansion in production, or is there existing capacity unused due to lack of access to tidewater outlets? Stepping up production seems pointless with the outlook being for the worldwide oil glut to continue for some years. Personally I'd rather see our petro products go to central Canada so we could reduce or end our imports of offshore oil. We really should have a federal policy that prevents oil exports until our domestic needs are met. But I guess it would be political suicide for Trudeau the Younger to bring in another National Energy Program! Nonetheless there needs to be a cohesive national energy policy. The provinces always protect their turf like grumpy bulldogs, but we've gone far beyond provincial boundaries with energy in all its forms - production, distribution and consumption are all part of continental or global networks. The trouble is, who will make the change? Liberals are justly scared of linkage to the disastrous NEP of the 80s, and I can't imagine the Conservatives making such a move in my lifetime.

Ain't over yet:

Copied from castanets news service:

The Canadian Press - Nov 29 3:53 pm
Some indigenous leaders say Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a fight on his hands with new pipeline projects connected to the oilsands in Alberta.

The federal government has approved the Line 3 pipeline expansion from Alberta to Wisconsin, as well as Kinder Morgan's proposal to triple the capacity of its Trans Mountain pipeline from Alberta to Burnaby.

Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, of the Union of British Columbia Chiefs, says the Kinder Morgan project is unacceptable because of the environmental risk from a higher number of tanker ships.

Phillip said a few hours before the federal decision that the battle against the project will ramp up in the courts and elsewhere.

Phillip was in Winnipeg where many Manitoba chiefs signed on to a declaration that they will not allow pipelines, rail cars or other projects connected to the oilsands through their territory.

Derek Nepinak, head of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, said governments and businesses must realize they cannot undertake projects in indigenous territory without full consent.

Phillip called Trudeau a "serial liar" and accused him of breaking a promise to respect indigenous concerns.

"He's been absolutely consistent in reneging and breaking the promises he made to us," Phillip said.

"The struggle will simply intensify. It will become more litigious. It will become more political and the battle will continue."

Now Christie can threaten to fight the Federal decision and decisively win the next election for opposing Trudeau. I can see it coming!

Now Christie can threaten to fight the Federal decision and decisively win the next election for opposing Trudeau. I can see it coming!
She will just keep spouting her five conditions until after the election and then say they have been met. The problem is you cannot clean up the raw bitumin spill in the water because it sinks and no technology exists to clean it up.

She will just keep spouting her five conditions until after the election and then say they have been met. The problem is you cannot clean up the raw bitumin spill in the water because it sinks and no technology exists to clean it up.
Yup, and whether genuine or not, she will paint herself as the champion of British Columbia, which will get her tons of votes. The Federal Liberals could care less, no one in BC votes for them.

I don't recall ever saying anything of the sort Dave?

Yup, and whether genuine or not, she will paint herself as the champion of British Columbia, which will get her tons of votes. The Federal Liberals could care less, no one in BC votes for them.
BC's new flag...

Attachments

• 15220231_365430393848989_6014057551161267961_n.jpg
    15220231_365430393848989_6014057551161267961_n.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 32
I really don't understand.

Does anyone realize Canada is a nation that relies on export of raw commodities?!

Just what do you guys want? Do you think your way of life is a God given right? Don't you realize that south of the border, they have elected someone that's PRO BUSINESS?! That means we better get our **** together up here and be competitive because we no longer have the safety blanket of a like minded anti growth admin in the US.

As much as some of you hate to admit it, you need to sell something to make money. If we don't provide that oil then the US certainly will.

As far as the FN protesting, of course, they want the bargaining chip to get paid more. As far as local politicians protesting, of course, they know people here will vote with their hearts, not their heads.

All you people worrying about spills before they happen need to start thinking about how you would replace the money/jobs these things provide for our country. That money and jobs will provide you with your current way of life if we are lucky.

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. Then maybe you will see how the rest of the world lives.

...Does anyone realize Canada is a nation that relies on export of raw commodities?..
I think you caught it on the word: "raw". Why not "finished". Ok - missing 1 word word to make sense here: "China".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back