Fed Up With "Big Coast' Yet?....

Seafever

Gave up watching this show........

60% of the show is the cameraman doing close-ups of Islander reels......over and over and over....

They almost never tell you what lures they are using...or depths or anything else....

The locations are usually 'generalized'......like "today we're fishing Barkley Sound".....o.k.....but where?

I like 'Sportfishing B.C.' with Mike Mitchell much better.......

You are correct Craven.
All in all for where they get to fish... they are no fishin magicians. LOL
They truly suck at catching hali.

Less painfull than some fishing shows though. cough...NF... cough...

Tips

I thing you mean BC Outdoors Sport Fishing with Mike Mitchell, good show. My preference is Mark Pendlington's show, West Coast Sporting Journal. Not sure why they changed the name from Sport Fishing BC? His northern steelhead shows are exceptional and the instructional side..."the technique" regardless of where or what he is fishing for is always explained in great detail, whether it be fly fishing, steelheading or salmon fishing.
They obviously need to promote the gear of the companies that are sponsoring them, the terminal tackle may not be there preference but those companies are paying the bills so it is what it is, I just look past that stuff. But you're right, it's a little much.

Big Coast = Snowboarder movie makers making a fishing show.

Perfectly said. Fished beside then end of aug at duval, 4 chinook and released 8 coho...didn't see them get a bite. I know a few guys that have fished in same boat as them and said exactly what chevey did

I like the shows that take time to explain what gear they are using and where they are fishing, especially when they interview their guides on camera and give them a chance to explain the methods. Mike Mitchell and Mark Pendligton do a pretty good job of that on their shows and it actually corresponds to the same gear in the fish's mouth when they catch one on camera.

I mean making tv shows about fishing, pretty tough job. Mark def seems to actually want people to learn and share. Others are just doing it to get free gear and be sponsored and are filmed like that. Big Coast def seemed to lacking in terminal gear info and was all about reels,motors,boats and gps.

Think this years big coast is worse though as they got some big name sponsors now so probably feel more pressure to push product. Same with anything Jim Shockey too however and a lot of tv shows. I just can't stand the hosts...snowboard lingo whole show. Cinematography is actually good though.

Wow ........ I just nice to sit back and watch the show ....... but it sounds like a bunch of jealous fisher's out there though that think they can produce a better show. I quite like the show, but if you think your so good at what you do, lets see you do it and produce a better product on film.

Yes others may , show or explain technique and tackle better, maybe thats not their particular goal....... but sounds like many wish they could ......... maybe you'll get more out of the Dime Store Fisherman .

Enjoy

HT

I here ya Seafever that show is a waste of airtime, i learned more watching the little guy on Nice Fish Junior... that little fella was all over the halibut..and his guide..well if you can afford him you can afford to fish anywhere in the world.. i almost fell outta my chair... no guide ego there...haha

Gave up watching this show........

60% of the show is the cameraman doing close-ups of Islander reels......over and over and over....

They almost never tell you what lures they are using...or depths or anything else....

The locations are usually 'generalized'......like "today we're fishing Barkley Sound".....o.k.....but where?

I like 'Sportfishing B.C.' with Mike Mitchell much better.......

I watch fishing shows for different reasons. Big Coast is one I watch for camera angles, beautiful scenery, but not for techniques. It's more about exploring the WCVI and Mid Coast, fishing is a side bar.

Let's not forget that fishing show hosts and producers are only that, they go out with guides, so I don't put too much emphasis on tips and techniques they offer, unless it comes from the guide. Murphy has been featured quite a bit, but so has any others like Shawn in Tofino on an old Nice Fish episode that was very informative.

I like Big Coast and the personalities in the show. Maybe a little bit of exaggeration with backing off drag to let fish run, but it is a fishing show. Everybody has a background or history, whether it be snowboarding, carpentry, commercial fishing, or marketing....we all have done other things before taking up fishing. I'll keep watching, but feel free to change the channel if your not liking it.

HighTide.....what's there to watch?

Closeups of fishing reels.......snore.....
Guys yukking it up.......snore
Guys winding fish in......nice to see but it's not like I haven't done that before...
Kingfisher boats.........just about every fishing show out west has a Kingfisher boat on an episode at some point.
West Coast scenery.......nice.....but that should be secondary on a fishing show....not the focal point.

Take out the Islander reel close-ups and you have about an 8 minute show left.......

Um... News flash. The only reason any show is on television is to keep us watching long enough to see the ads. Every author, producer or artist has a purpose in mind when creating their product. The sole purpose of commercial television is to promote retail products. The fact that we like NHL hockey, fishing shows, or crime dramas means they have us right where they want us. PVR's and internet TV will mean more and more product placement within the content of the show. Mr. Kingfisher and Mr. Islander need to have their products in every scene if those boys are to have free use of them while they run around having fun all summer.

This topic comes up from time to time. Last time it was the dime store fisherman.. Shows come and go.. High tide has it right. Put your money were your mouth is and lets see you do it. I enjoy it as sometimes i don't need a gear review as i know what there doing and so do most guys on this site.. Mark and Mike do a good job in there gear review and places there fishing. Too each there own if you don't like it don't watch it.

Boys ,Boys-Take it for what it is-entertainment!! Most of you feel frustrated because you know what you are doing and you sense that some of these guys don't!! Most of it is staged over a few days and crammed into a 1/2 program. Forget the name of the show with the 2 girls-they knew nothing or the area but still fun to watch. Mark Pendlington is probably the best for info, However you can bring a case of 24 around here and I'll tell you stories and show you vids any old time- I suspect there are a lot of guys on here could do that too!!!LOL.

Back