Favorite rockfish recipe?

Osama Bin Hopper

Care to share some of the favorite rockfish recipes out there? Lings open on April 15 and there's sure to be some incidentals...

Gimee the gaff!!!

rockfish - I just like em simple - baste fillets with mix of egg yolk, parsley, oregano, salt/pepper, cover in crushed up crackers, pan fry both sides with lots of butter!

I agree, just simple is best, although it is good deep fried like halibut too. I usually just use flour, salt and pepper. Maybe some cajin seasoning if you like blackened fish.

Take only what you need.

Recipe for approx 4 fillets of cod

Take 2 Cups of Mayo and add tea spoon of lemmon juice, tablespoon of ground pepper and a min. of 4 crushed cloves of garlic in container and leave in fridge over night to improve flavor. Can also use some dill optional....

Blend 1 box of ceaser salad croutons into bread crumbs

Take filets roll in mayo mix then roll in croutons put in glass casserole dish and bake @ 350 uncovered for approx 20 to 30 minutes depending on thickness of filets

Another Option:

Cardiac Arrest Casserole

(Mainly Use Halibut but will work with Ling or Cod to)

Take 250 or 500 ml of Sour Cream depending on number of filets. Add teaspoon or tablespoon of lemon or lime juice, teaspoon or tablespoon of pepper and 4+ crushed cloves of garlic then put in the fridge over night. Can add dill or a dash of hot sauce optional.

Quickly on high heat on the BBQ sear each side of your filets (Make sure you brush your grill with oil so they dont stick) then lay them in a glass casserole dish pour sour cream mixture over top evenly. Then cover with a mix of grated chedder and mozza cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes @ 350 take out and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Easy but tasty....
Cheers ME

Nootka Marine Adventures

WHERE THE OCEAN IS OUR PLAYGROUND

Charter Packages or Bring Your Own Boat
www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
Camping/Chalets/Launch/Marina/Fuel
www.moutchabay.com

Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

My wife takes the filets and lays them on tin foil.She covers them with butter,shredded onions,sliced mushrooms,and grated chedder and white cheese and then she adds a few spices,wraps it up and bakes it in the oven or on the barbeque.
Dave

For me the only technique that makes them tasty is steaming. Everything else seems to produce a dry, tough texture. I usually fillet and remove skin rather than leave whole (you can use a much smaller pot then too). I've used fresh brown mushrooms or even skipped them if Chinese mushrooms are not available. It's actually a really easy dish and very forgiving in terms of timing / doneness which a lot of fish recipes are not.

Steamed Rock Cod

This recipe from "Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen" by Grace Young (Simon & Schuster, 1999) captures the spirit of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." If rock cod is unavailable you may substitute rockfish, red snapper, black sea bass or small striped bass.

2 rock cod (1 1/2 pounds each), cleaned and gutted, with head and tail intact
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 Chinese dried mushrooms
1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
3 tablespoons finely shredded ginger
2 scallions, finely shredded
1 tablespoon Shao Hsing or other rice cooking wine
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
Cilantro sprigs for garnish

Thoroughly rinse fish in cold water and drain. Gently rub cavity and outside of the fish with salt and rinse again. Place fish on a rack and allow to air dry.
In a medium bowl, soak mushrooms in 1/4 cup cold water for 30 minutes or until softened. Drain and squeeze dry. Reserve remaining mushroom liquid to flavor soups. Cut off and discard stems and thinly slice the caps.
Place fish on heat-proof oval platter with sloping sides. Trim tail so fish fits onto platter. Evenly sprinkle mushrooms, garlic, ginger and half the scallions on fish. Drizzle with rice wine and sprinkle with sugar.
Set a cake rack in a 14-inch skillet; pour in 1/2 inch of water. Cover skillet; bring water to boil over high heat.
Carefully place platter into steamer; cover and steam 13 to 15 minutes on high heat or until fish flakes when tested.
Check water level and replenish with boiling water, if necessary. Test fish for doneness by poking the thickest part with a fork or chopstick.
Flesh should flake. If not, steam for 1 to 2 minutes longer or until fish just flakes.
Remove skillet from heat; carefully remove platter from steamer.
Pour off any liquid in platter.
In a small skillet, heat oil over high heat until hot but not smoking; sprinkle remaining scallions over fish; drizzle with soy sauce.
Carefully pour hot oil over fish. The oil will make crackling sound as it hits the fish. Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Serves 4.
Per serving: 287 calories; 6.6 g fat (1.2 g saturated fat; 21 percent calories from fat); 3.5 g carbohydrates; 91 mg cholesterol; 739 mg sodium; 50.5 g protein; 0.3 g fiber.

Yelloweye/Rockfish canned with Crab
Cook your crab with some spices. I like to use Zatarains shrimp and crab boil. It can only be bough in the USA.
Fill your canning jars with half crab and half yelloweye. Process like canned salmon.
The rockfish takes on the flavor of the crab, and is great in recipes requiring crab or just for a sandwich. The rockfish is also the same consitency of the crab.

Enjoy!

62802394477903127812153.jpg

This is one of my favorites. Clean fish, scale and pad dry. Cut of head if you like. Roll fish in cornstarch and deep fry in wok. Do not overcook. Make Sweet and Sour sauce.
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Water
3/4 tsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 Tbsp Catsup
1 Tbsp Pineapple juice
Prepare sweet and sour sauce by dissolving cornstarch in water in sauce pan over med. heat. All all other ingredients an stir until desired thickness.

Place fish on paper towel and let stand till dry. About 30 seconds. Place a plate and pour sweet and sour sauce over it and serve.

Here is a more simple one but it is outstanding if the fish are fresh out of the water. This dish happens quite often when we get some of the black rockies fresh that day.....a few go to a ceviche for happy hour and then the rest go to dinner.

I just season the filets with a bit of salt (I have some great sea salts from Hawaii that add to the flavour) and pepper. Just roast in the oven, LOW and SLOW. I don't turn the over much over 300 tops....even a bit less. I would rather have the fish cook slowly and retain moisture than cook too fast and dry out.

While you are doing that saute some onions in butter until they soften up. I don't use too many onions as they can overpower the fish if too much. Then I throw in some grape tomatoes and saute them til they start to soften up and then add the garlic about halfway through the tomatoes so as not to burn the garlic. Just prior to pouring over the fish chop up some fresh parsley and basil and stir it into the butter/onion/tomato mixture and pour over top of the fish. For me I usually add capers as well but that is a matter of taste as I know lots of people don't like them. Capers usually go in around the same time as the tomatoes.

The dish is a bit mediterranean inspired but really lends itself to the fish very well. Also works very well on halibut.

I also have a bit of a "weakness" for blackened fish and another real simple one for rockies is a light dusting of blackening/cajun spice as again you don't want to over power the fish. Get a pan pretty hot and quickly sear the flesh side, flip over skin side down in the pan and slide it into the oven. I then just make a very simple butter, LIME and garlic sauce in a saute pan and again at the last minute I chop up a bit of fresh parsley and add it to the sauce just prior to serving.

There are ways to make blackening spices or you can easily just buy premade ones in the store...lots of great ones in the spice section of the store.

I like to sprinkle some hot sauce on em (Maria sharps Belize) then shakem in seasoned flour/baking powder with egg dip then in flour mix again Fry in hot oil the yurn out like hush puppies (cat fish) SOUTHERN STYLE.
Bon apitite
....Sammy

Older thread, but I went with Deewar25's recipe.
Simpliest, and that makes it doable for a kitchen klutz like me.
Didn't have any crackers or panco, so dragged the filets through some flour, then basted with his mix.
Very tasty.

Back