Farmed and Dangerous...

Andrew P

Here is a new episode with much of what we already know about salmon farming. Good watch non-the-less.

http://thewaterbrothers.ca/farmed-and-dangerous/

It is quite humorous at how quickly fellow member , CK, aka Mainstream, aka James in the comments below the webisode, jumps in and disputes. The combat troops are out in full force on twitter attacking this piece.

Let's here the disputes James. So, you don't think your kids should watch this just the same way that you don't feed them farmed salmon if wild is available?

I watched the film this morning for the first time as well. Not a lot of new info there for those who follow this issue closely but a well done film with some good video work etc. I was surprised they were able to swim and film inside the net pens. Would be nice if they let some of our virologists and other fish scientists get that close to their farms. Won't be long before they are forced to allow proper testing however - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...undertaken-set-to-begin-in-bc/article9563287/

you mean uncensored testing? thanks for sharing the vid... an drew p

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link doesn't work. But we know, everyone is just making stuff up about salmon farming. It is harmless ask any salmon farm employee.

Why do so many people hate salmon farming SO MUCH they chose to write, produce fairly high quality and time consuming video and movies and even devote their entire existence to stopping it, if there is nothing wrong?

Its not really both sides. Its the largest salmon farming company in the world

Thanks Birdnest, always good to see both sides:) Thing is, you and I and a few others on this site, IMO, are flogging a dead horse as it appears most people here truly believe the declines in Pacific salmon are related to salmon farms. Sad really when all they have to do is look at catch data, climate change, habitat loss, pollution, etc. Society seems to need scapegoats - salmon farms are one.

who is mainstream? a non-profit organization that provides true and accurate info based on science, on the real affects of salmon feed-lots?

Thanks Birdnest, always good to see both sides
C:\Users\Roly\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif
Thing is, you and I and a few others on this site, IMO, are flogging a dead horse as it appears most people here truly believe the declines in Pacific salmon are related to salmon farms. Sad really when all they have to do is look at catch data, climate change, habitat loss, pollution, etc. Society seems to need scapegoats - salmon farms are one.

Dave, you are just as able as CK in putting incorrect and misleading posts on this forum. No one on here believes ALL Pacific salmon declines are related to salmon feed lots. Only that salmon feet lots have had a very serious effect on wild salmon, in many places, for many runs, throughout the Pacific Region. This fact has been documented many times in the scientific literature. You just choose to ignore it.

(And BTW the situation is even more serious when you look at the history of salmon feed lots world-wide – East Coast of Canada, Norway, Scotland, Ireland, Chile – the litany of devastation is appalling.)

Oh but if you can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that X salmon farm killed a specific fish (or run of fish) then there MUST be no problem.

Just like smoking was perfectly fine and quite healthy for you until lung cancer was miraculously discovered and made its way into those pure clean cigarettes.

Step 1: DENY as long as you can
Step 2: DELAY any action or changes that will effect industry
Step 3: DEFAME anyone who does not share your view

repeat

Fish farm guys - we are not against you for no reason and we do listen to facts from both sides of the story. However while the anti farmers are doing research, writing peer reviewed papers, and making documentaries the fish farm association does those above D's, presents no evidence of its own just states over and over there is no problem because its not absolutely proven in this ecosystem. P.S even if other Eco systems were destroyed or disrupted by our farms that hasn't happened here so it never will (even though truly it has in some areas where pinks/chums were wiped out and sockeye downright struggle).

Oh but if you can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that X salmon farm killed a specific fish (or run of fish) then there MUST be no problem.

Just like smoking was perfectly fine and quite healthy for you until lung cancer was miraculously discovered and made its way into those pure clean cigarettes.

Step 1: DENY as long as you can
Step 2: DELAY any action or changes that will effect industry
Step 3: DEFAME anyone who does not share your view

repeat

Fish farm guys - we are not against you for no reason and we do listen to facts from both sides of the story. However while the anti farmers are doing research, writing peer reviewed papers, and making documentaries the fish farm association does those above D's, presents no evidence of its own just states over and over there is no problem because its not absolutely proven in this ecosystem. P.S even if other Eco systems were destroyed or disrupted by our farms that hasn't happened here so it never will (even though truly it has in some areas where pinks/chums were wiped out and sockeye downright struggle).

Well said GDW! You will notice that there have been some pretty incriminating posts in this section of the forum over the last few weeks (i.e. Sea Lice Developing Possible Resistance to Drugs in Norway, Salmon Farmeggedon (Aquapolypse) Document, DFO & Salmon Farmers Has NAFTA to Contend with Now) that none of the usual salmon feedlot hacks commented on. Could be that they are legitimately busy, OR that they have run out of the standard, tired, old, miss the point, skim the surface, defences they use as these are getting harder for even them to keep putting out there.

I can only compare it to feedlots, they stink and cause many issues that are not discussed over the meat counter. When I have to buy beef I go to the rancher and buy one from him. I prefer range beef to feed lot beef. To me salmon farms are very similar.

...I was surprised they were able to swim and film inside the net pens. Would be nice if they let some of our virologists and other fish scientists get that close to their farms...
Actually, Tincan - as opposed to the popular misdirection and misinformation generated by the industry - they have no legal jurisdiction nor authority to attempt to deny anyone in Canada access to the water column. They only lease the bottom from the province under the provincial Lands Act. Federally, the water column is under federal authority; the common-law right of navigation exists and various federal acts define and protect certain aspects of that right, including the Navigable Waters Act, the Canada Shipping Act, and others. As long as you do not interfere in their operations, trespass upon their equipment or structures, nor anchor within the boundaries of their tenures - there's dick-all they can do about it. There're just so used to being bullies and buffaloing people - they expect nobody will challenge them on their lack of understanding of our rights.

Attachments

• 6a0120a56ab882970c0133f343f564970b-800wi.jpg
    6a0120a56ab882970c0133f343f564970b-800wi.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 143
Only that salmon feet lots have had a very serious effect on wild salmon, in many places, for many runs, throughout the Pacific Region. This fact has been documented many times in the scientific literature. You just choose to ignore it.
Guess I missed all that documentation Englishman .. Here in BC, what runs of Pacific salmon has salmon farming impacted to the point of declines in adult returns?

P.S even if other Eco systems were destroyed or disrupted by our farms that hasn't happened here so it never will (even though truly it has in some areas where pinks/chums were wiped out and sockeye downright struggle).
What pink and chum runs here in BC have been wiped out by salmon farming? Which sockeye stocks are struggling due to salmon farms?

Hey DFO Dave,

Why don't you tell us? I am glad that you guys pointed out the 2001-2003 MASSSSSSS outbreaks that hit your industry. Very interesting read and completely points out that the outbreaks would have had affected wild populations; the outbreak spread from site to site. Do you suggest that it would have skipped on past any wild fish or would they not be affected and died? Would this have no affect on a native stock? But of course, if a fish dies in the ocean and no one is there to see it....then it must not be caused by your net pens.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao2006/72/d072p213.pdf

And to think....your job was to protect wild salmon. Good to see your heart is in the right place.

The hacks are back.. wonder why? could this be the reason?

From Alex's website....

Dr Sanjay Gupta from 60 Minutes came to British Columbia to interview many people about salmon farming. It was an honor to meet him, he is a humble and remarkable person. We visited the lower Fraser River where so many of the wild salmon are suffering from an unknown condition that is turning them yellow.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/

The Norwegian salmon farming industry exists to serve the American consumer. I don't know what Dr. Sanjay Gupta will say about farmed salmon, but it is clear Canada cannot stand up to Norway and tell its three companies to clean up or get out. So it is up to the people thousands of miles away standing at fish counters in California deciding where to put their money. 60 Minutes has approximately 15 million viewers.

Cue the endless posts about how salmon feedlot are good for BC..... from the ones with money to lose...

Back