Extended Commercial Prawn Season

T

Tanglefoot

I just came upon this while looking to see when the local commercial prawn fishery would end;

"Longer Season is coming
The industry is working on ways to extend the season, so that fresh and live product is locally available for more of the year while always keeping in mind that sustainability is most important. As a result, Spot Prawns have been cited in David Suzuki’s list of sustainable world sea products and are recognized as sustainable by montereybayaquarium.org and seachoice.org as an ecologically sound seafood choice. This is in contrast to competing products which are imported from south east Asia."

http://eatprawns.com/tag/fishing-season/

Isn't that just freekin lovely:( We (I) sporties can't get anywhere near a half decent prawning area while the commercial guys are fishing and when they are gone at the end of their season, so are the prawn.

What it would accomplish is an end to the sport prawn fishery. No prawn left and no room to fish for them.:( I'd like to see this nipped in the bud!

quote:Originally posted by Tanglefoot

Spot Prawns have been cited in David Suzuki’s list of sustainable world sea products

Has me wondering who is financing his retirement.

www.kayaks2.com

Just his way of temporarily showing he has balance to his schtick... or he's distracted by Plimly right now and forgot.

I seem to recall a public statement ascribed to him (para) "If you don't agree with my point of view, you should be thrown in jail."... I presume... and left to rot.

I'll bet his entire tax-funded foundation and the award gifted to a certain US used-politico are concentrated on finding some inventive way to "prove" Plimly, the Aussie who's name-is-spurned-by-all ecos, is a fraud.

Who is this Idiot trying to convince, he should come over to Cortes and try fishing prawns after the commercial guys have gone.Squat lobsters and brittle stars make terrible eating

The one thing I have often wondered who puts more into the economy us "sporties" or the rapers of the local fisheries

Tom

Easy on the commercial guys.......That's the problem with most things....we need to quit pointing fingers at one another and figure out a viable,sustainable long term fishery strategy for all of us, in all sectors.
Maybe that's what they are exploring? shorter spot openings spread out rather than long openings over a 3 month period?

Back