Expandable Hose for engine flushing

gungadin

I moor my boat at a campsite every year, where there is no fresh water at the wharf. There is a bib about 100ft away that I used and just left the hose there. Not a good idea as the hose grew legs and slithered away. I am tired of getting the hose from the campsite, lugging it down hooking it up and dragging it to the wharf, flushing the engine,washing down the boat etc. and then reversing the procedure.
This year I would like to use one of those expandable hoses, and just store it on board. Anybody use them and if so do you have any recommendations?

I have one of those “as seen on tv” black expandable hoses. Mine is only maybe 20 ft extended with full pressure/nozzle off, once you open nozzle the pressure in hose drops causing the hose to shrink as well. The brass ends started leaking pretty quick too. The nice thing is without pressure the hose shrinks up to a small light coil.

I moor my boat at a campsite every year, where there is no fresh water at the wharf. There is a bib about 100ft away that I used and just left the hose there. Not a good idea as the hose grew legs and slithered away. I am tired of getting the hose from the campsite, lugging it down hooking it up and dragging it to the wharf, flushing the engine,washing down the boat etc. and then reversing the procedure.
This year I would like to use one of those expandable hoses, and just store it on board. Anybody use them and if so do you have any recommendations?
100' might be a long run? We have a couple of them (front and back yards). Very convenient but I would be sure to purchase one of the higher end (more commercial) units available.

Ran one once (25') to our 200 Yamaha to flush it and found that there was not enough pressure to come out the telltale. Switched to a regular hose and telltale flushed appropriately.

In the forestry firefighting industry they use a flat hose that comes with garden hose fittings. Rolls up quite small. Scotty firefighting makes a hose winder that makes coiling up the hose very easy. You may want to contact Scotty Firefighting (Scottyfire.com) to see if they can help you out. Same Scotty that makes fishing products.
Stosh

Last edited:
I've had a couple of the expanding hoses, x hose brand. The work really well at first, but after not too long they start to restrict water flow. They also shrink a bit when you release water from the nozzle which can be really annoying.

If you are using a really high pressure source they are good, but your average line pressure is going to be problematic. Worked really well at my Marina that had a ton of pressure, everywhere else not so much.

I just bought one of the 50 foot black expandable hoses from Walmart (the TV ads product section). They come in two quality levels and there is a big difference in price and noticeable improvement in quality such as all heavy brass fittings etc. as opposed to the plastic fittings on the lower quality version. As I recall the high end 50 footer is a little over $50.00 and the low end is in the mid thirty dollar range. Have not yet tried it out.

Well i got one, with a guarantee that it wont break or leak (with proper care). We will see how it stands up.

Had one on 'The Boat' last season. LOVED it until, it blew apart.
Somewhat of a goat screw to put back together, and keep it together.
Best tip: DO NOT yank on it when fully charged...

Back