Evinrude E-tec 130 hp

Everything i've read about them has been good.
they are lighter than 4 stroke's, just as quiet with approx same fuel economy.
Plus you get the benefit of the 2-stroke hole shot and power range.
I would buy one if there was good dealer support.

GLG

Oh no.

If you are talking about new then the only 2 cons I can think of are the purchase price and the oil that it uses.
I would own one in a heartbeat if it were not for the first con.

There are currently a lot of new motors out there that are really good. The brand you pick should also correspond with the support that you get from your local dealer. If something needs fixing you want to have a great relationship with your dealer.

If you plan on using it a few times in the winter, then you can’t beat the winterization procedure on that motor. Buying Canadian is also a good thing.

What is the verdict on your old motor?

GLG

I have a buddy coming to look at my motor this weekend.
As for the E-tec I am in the process of buying one for another boat. The price was around 12,000 for the 130 but the synthetic oil blend they recommend is 55 bucks a jug!
It has less moving parts but more computer components in it? More power out of the hole.
I did not realize that there was virtually no price difference between the E-tec and your average 4 stroke, thought there would of been a big difference since I would have to fork out a ton for Synthetic oil blend.

quote:Originally posted by twinwinds

I have a buddy coming to look at my motor this weekend.
As for the E-tec I am in the process of buying one for another boat. The price was around 12,000 for the 130 but the synthetic oil blend they recommend is 55 bucks a jug!
It has less moving parts but more computer components in it? More power out of the hole.
I did not realize that there was virtually no price difference between the E-tec and your average 4 stroke, thought there would of been a big difference since I would have to fork out a ton for Synthetic oil blend.

i have twin 200 and they are sick!! the synthetic oil is 45$/jug in places, i buy mine from lake cowichan at the dealer there, cheapest ive found.
you can also program the engines to run on xd50 - which can also be used with any TCW3 2-stroke oil. at the xd100 (expensive synthetic stuff) its buring about 100:1, but 50:1 with with the cheaper stuff ~ so it works out to nearly the same.
they start in less than 1 turn of the flywheel - easier than any vehicle ive been in.
Great engines, dead quiet, and lots of power! also extremely fuel efficient, i talked to a guy with the same boat i have running 225 4-stroke yamahas, and im getting better mileage than him, at same rpms, while going faster.

img3937n.jpg

I have twin 250 hp E-tecs and have nothing but praise so far. As for the oil, yes it is expensive and I intend to buy in bulk from Lordship marine. Last year I was paying around $40.00 per gal.
After break-in they started taking less. I will try to monitor my usage more this year to see what ratio it is using. I am also a bit over propped when I am loaded and will be getting the right pitch for a loaded vessel. At 5000rpm 46 mph for a 30 ft coastal cruiser from Wolfcraft fully loaded with gear and passengers (4).:D

IMG_1445.jpg

great motors.Way more power than 4 stroke and way less maintenance or repairs. Excellent warranty as well. The oil tradeoff is a small one IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

by the way, 12000 for a 130 sounds a little high, if that includes all the riggings and controls it would be ok. where have you got quotes from?

-remember no oil changes or 50/100hr maintenance either to pay for, it adds up.

price guideline:
http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/evinrude.htm

img3937n.jpg

Quote came from Sherwood Marine.$12,885 complete

plus 5 yr warranty, 20% off components and $300 off motor.
that sound fair?
9250.00 from edsmarine superstore? exchange on top of that?,shipping?

for $3600 , i'd think about driving down and picking it up...
of course you'll have to pay taxes at border , but should be no duty
if made in north america.

quote:Originally posted by twinwinds

Parker marine full package deal 11,400

x2 theres a deal - im not saying go with eds especially for just 1 motor, but it gives you a rough idea of what price you should be able to get one here for.. that price from parkers is great, im assuming it uncluded controls, cables , gauges (get the digital icommander gauges!), i get mine serviced there and there great, also seem to be the cheapest guys around for quotes on stuff - but if you hunt around like i said you can find better deals on the oil.

img3937n.jpg

I have a 90hp etec. It has been great so far, the only issue I have is that it idles a bit rougher than a 4 stroke, other than that I'm happy. As for oil, its not a big deal, it uses very little, it costs me less than a $100 bucks a season.

x2 catcher . there not made 2 idle lol thats why we have kickers :D. hammer down

tight lines

quote:Originally posted by fishproof

I read somewhere, when I was seaching for a motor, that the catch withs buying from Eds, They have to do the install.

i think thats only with suzuki? i talked to them about that too a while back but dont remember exactly, it says they will ship anywhere on their website

img3937n.jpg

It pIx xssses me off that an engine made in Canada is cheaper in the states. Screw free trade!!!

Just met a guy today at Lordship Marine that has brought his Etec 90 in to them twice now. Not sure yet what the problem is but both times he could only get 2000 rpm from it. I can find out this week what the fix was.

Beemer I believe that evinrude is still manufactured in the USA it is owned by a Canadian co BRP.[:0]

IMG_1445.jpg

I picked up a 22ft'er with a 130 E-tech. Had 20 hours on the engine! I was impressed with the balls it had out of the hole! nice and quiet too....

Back