Espar Diesel Heater

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Well I think it's time to put in a diesel heater and remove the propane heater. Looking at a Espar D2 heater. Looked at Snuggers and Planners and just not sure I want to go that route.

Espar fully loaded with sea fittings $1200 with 2 year warranty.

Trying to decide where to put it. How big of a fuel tank Id need. How many vents I want and where to put them.

Any advise as to what heater to buy? Good idea? Waste of money?

I have a Webasto diesel heater and love it. However I have a diesel engine too so is just plumbed of the main tank. My cousin put one in his Campion 682 outboard and he just used a 2 1/2 gallon plastic kicker tank.
Makes it easy to disconnect and fill up. Not sure how long that would last but they only burn a litre or so an hour.
Make sure you use an inline filter as does not take much to plug them up

For 1200 bucks go for that Espar fully loaded kit and don't look back :D. You will love it!

On high I've been told by the dealer it will burn a gallon every 10 hours.

I think it's going to be happening. $1200 includes everything but a fuel tank.

Was thinking 2 vents on the dash pointed at the windows, but then started to think about having the heat lower along the floor heat raising up. Just not sure..........

I use modified outboard tank. And installed my d2 under the port gunnel. Works good.
d1ac53f11b4450680cf4c5584c860cd0.jpg
2fcf958c1814bdf90a939aad02bf3387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I set mine up with 2 vents one on the helm dash
And one directional adjustable vent at the passangers feet (keeps the wife happy) keeps all the windows in my 18 foot hard top clear.
0af99176b2b6fc6337306d901fd25376.jpg
8431d17380bf903faf891ee7a2a0ca9f.jpg
bb6bcfb924b0fc48cdeb576ad52c9fb4.jpg
ce116ab83039eadf0dc2063ae2c712cc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i like my propane,, no diesel fumes...

I used a similar 3 gallon outboard tank. I don't think I burn a gallon in 10 hours. For some reason I thought it was .5 litre for 4 hours use.

Dash vents for window clearing is a must. If I am not trailering too far, I turn it on at home and windows are clear before the boat hits the water. I have 2 on the dash and 1 closer to the floor.

$1200 for the D2 is a good deal if it includes thru hull and exhaust elbow with drain. I paid $1050 for mine but I had to buy thru hull and elbow or around $100 each.

Oh also I only use kerosene for fuel it burns very clean has almost no smell. And if you use kerosene you will likely never have too service the heater. My heater looks like new inside the ones in diesel trucks that I work on at work get sooty and we clean them by running them on kerosene for awhile. The heater uses so little fuel that the extra cost isn't even a issue.

Propane heat is wet, $10 a day in small bottles or refill your own for $2-3 or pack a bulky BBQ tank. Unit and tank both take up space and have to be removed daily.

Diesel heater is dry heat cheaper to run, won't go out, won't tip over, can preheat boat, turn on when ever, set to a thermostat and leave in the boat year round.

Kerosene? Where do you buy that? I haven't seen it in 30 years

sorry my propane heater is air to air,, so the exhaust is vented out the roof... an electric fan blows around the heat box...

has a pilot light, thermostat....

i just dont like the smell of diesel exhaust rolling in the back while morning fishing with a hung-over....

Ya the direct vent propane heaters are nice too. On small boats like mine or the silver streak that this thread is about I think it's easier too find a spot for a small fuel tank than a 20 pound propane tank. A espar in good shape doesn't make much of a smell other than a little at start up. A espar that has issues is a smoky stinky beast though. Lol

We use to buy Kerosene at Chevron bulk, it's expensive but as posted earlier the best way to go

Can't turn back now...... It's in the mail :) Free Shipping as well.

Hoping to find some friends to help me install it later this week :cool:

Its going to be so nice. I'll find some kerosene this week and get an aluminum bracket bent to install behind my fixed/welded in glove box. I can't wait......... :)

The kit normally comes with a black L bracket. As can be seen in my pictures.

I was told 1/2 litre every 4-5 hours so that sounds about right. My tank is around 6 gallons so I only have to fill it up once or twice a year :). Go with the Kerosene if you can find it bulk somewhere near by. I use diesel because we have a tank here at work for the forklift. There are a lot of construction heaters that use Kerosene so you should be able to find it for a good price.

It was recommended to me to port the exhaust out the side below the gunnel. If you go this route, pick your placement carefully as that is a hole in the side of your boat you only want to drill once lol. You need enough room for an upside down "u" trap in the exhaust pipe above the the hull fitting (to keep water out of the exhaust pipe).

Congrats and welcome to the warm side :cool:.

I don't see a marine stye thur hull for the exhaust in the pic or the insulation sleeve for the exhaust pipe. It looks like it might be sold as a kit for a bunk heater in a truck. The exhaust thur hull is a chrome fitting with the heater side nipple at a 45 and it has a air gap built into it too insulate the hull.

Back