Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline - Pro's and Con's

Con: Check this out. http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0003909
Looks to be pretty recent as the page has their 50 year logo and was last modified just two weeks ago.
Gotta wonder why if the BC coast is off limits to TAPS transit, why it would be okay for NGP tankers to transit?

That's for our friends down south.
Back then we insisted that they say away from our coastline.
tez.gif

Made sense to the government back then and was backed by everyone in Canada.
How things have changed with Harper the oils man.
GLG

40 years in the oil exploration and shipping business, this Master Mariner says sending tankers up Douglas Channel is, "a train wreck waiting to happen." http://www.vancouverobserver.com/bl...letter-against-enbridge-pipeline-and?page=0,0

Thanks for posting this. The more we read, the more insane this pipeline project gets. Why: "The Coast Guard’s ship safety branch is a sad remnant of what it was 30 years ago, and as a branch of Transport Canada it is policed by bureaucrats. The agency lacks the operational marine staff to adequately carry out the kind of oversight and review that might be expected by the public."

Just like DFO

Harper is a maniac! Next time there's a protest rally, please show up. Write letters to all the politicians in your area - let them know that you give a damn and want this project stopped!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not see any pro's to this pipeline, send more raw resources to china so we can have cheap crap here. The product they are going to ship is so raw of a resource that it is going to be 2 pipelines, one to carry the crude oil to kitimat, but the crude is so thick they need to add solvents to dilute it so it flows, then they are going to extract the solvents from the oil and the second pipe will flow the solvents back to fort mac.When they have a leak it is going to be disasterous!

The only way to stop this is if the native leaders say no! Unfortunately that is when Enbridge will cut them a monster cheque.
Screw writing to the government, call and write to all the native bands, wether in that area or not, they have the power.

then they are going to extract the solvents from the oil and the second pipe will flow the solvents back to fort mac.

I have not read anything that says they will do this.
The condensate will be brought to Kitimat from Russia.
Pumped to Alberta to be diluted with the oil so it can flow down the pipeline.
If you took it out of the oil it would be to thick to pump on and off the tanker.

Perhaps I'm wrong but if anyone can confirm this that would be great.
GLG

I got that info from someone who works in the natural gas industry and that is what he was told at a seminar last month.

They can do it that way but it would require a plant to crack or break off the distilate. That would cut into the profit so tankers will be carrying this poison back. They will not be coming back empty and this product is worse than the heavy oil. Even empty tankers will be dumping their ballast which also carries invasive species. NO TANKERS PERIOD should be using this zone.

I have not read anything that says they will do this.
The condensate will be brought to Kitimat from Russia.
Pumped to Alberta to be diluted with the oil so it can flow down the pipeline.
If you took it out of the oil it would be to thick to pump on and off the tanker.

Perhaps I'm wrong but if anyone can confirm this that would be great.
GLG

I got that info from someone who works in the natural gas industry and that is what he was told at a seminar last month.

I have no doubt that's what was said as I have heard that also.
But here is the fact sheet from Enbridge
http://www.northerngateway.ca/assets/pdf/Marine/NGP-FS-08-002_Marine Terminal Operations.pdf
Gunsmith is correct you need to crack it with a refinery before you can separate it out.
This is a terminal with no such ability.
As far as I can tell Russia is our new friend in this get rich quick skeem as china want's the condensate with the oil to fuel the cheap crap we import.
GLG

All I know is this will only make the rich get richer and the people of BC are going to lose, no amount of money spent on clean-up will fix what will be destroyed. If you google enbridge oil pipeline leaks you will see their track record in covering up spills. I f we are going to feed China oil, the government may as well get rid of all the clean air taxes we pay, cause China doesn't care about the enviroment.

The info sheet is pretty basic, I will google what condensate is, just seems like we the people of BC are giving up on the BEAUTIFULL BC that we were once so proud of.

I hear you salmonkiller01... I hear you and agree 100%
Here is a pic I thought I would post up for a laugh...
china0117.jpg

Chocolates, how thoughtful. And here's the deed to the oilsands

Maybe a little off topic, but it does speak volumes about spill response times and broken promises.
Con; Why should we expect anything different in the future?

Oil Spill Reported In The Great Bear Rainforest
Posted on May 2, 2012 by andrew
Gitga’at Nation reports large spill believed to be from sunken munitions ship; calls on federal government for immediate response and full clean-up.

HARTLEY BAY, BRITISH COLUMBIA (May 2, 2012) – The Gitga’at Nation of Hartley Bay is reporting an oil spill, between two and five miles long and 200 feet wide inside the Grenville Channel, not far from the proposed tanker route for the Enbridge Gateway pipeline. The spill was spotted by a commercial pilot and reported to the Gitga’at Nation and the Canadian Coast Guard yesterday evening.

A Coast Guard landing craft from Prince Rupert is on its way to the spill, and expected to arrive by 12pm. The Gitga’at are sending their own Guardians to take samples and have chartered a plane to take aerial photos of the spill.

“If this spill is as big as the pilots are reporting, then we’re looking at serious environmental impacts, including threats to our traditional shellfish harvesting areas,” says Arnold Clifton, Chief Councillor of the Gitga’at Nation. “We need an immediate and full clean-up response from the federal government ASAP.”

Heavy oil, known as “bunker c” is thought to be upwelling from the USAT Brigadier General M.G. Zalinski, a U.S. army transport ship that sank in 1946 with 700 tonnes of bunker fuel on board. The Canadian government has been saying it would remove the oil and munitions from the ship since 2006, but with no results.

“Right now we’re focused on getting a handle on the size of the spill and the clean-up that’s required,” says Clifton. “But this incident definitely raises questions about the federal government’s ability to guard against oil spills and to honour its clean-up obligations. As a result, our nation has serious concerns about any proposal to have tankers travel through our coastal waters, including the Enbridge proposal.”

The spill is just the latest in a series of spills of bunker oil and diesel coming from the Zalinski and the BC Ferry Queen of the North, which sank in 2006. Despite government assurances of clean-up, both wreckages continue to leak fuel, fouling the marine environment, and heightening the fear of future oil spills.

The Gitga’at depend on the ocean for 40% of their traditional diet.

Photos of the spill are available below, with aerial photos and b-roll expected shortly.

Contact Information:
Andrew Frank
Media Relations
604-367-2112

http://andrewfrank.ca/2012/05/02/oil-spill-reported-in-the-great-bear-rainforest/

Are there any other or better photos of this said spill? Any other sources out there?

Just got an email from my local MP in Vancouver with a link to the full length video from the event I attended where Robyn Allan spoke. You'll have to skip ahead a few minutes in until she begins to speak. Anyways, thought you'd enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/41340665

p.s. Due of the overwhelming response to this event they will be hosting a follow-up town hall somewhere in Vancouver on June. 16th. Here is the blurb I just got - Save the date for a follow-up event with Robyn Allan on Saturday June 16, from 10 - 11:30 AM. Stay tuned for confirmed details and a formal invitation. You probably sign up for this event on Joyce Murray's website or I will post the info on this tread once they have the location, etc for those interested in attending.

Thank-you tincan.
This is must see TV for everyone in this country.
It's not hard to follow the logic she is reporting.
Learned a few new things as well.
GLG

Just got an email from my local MP in Vancouver with a link to the full length video from the event I attended where Robyn Allan spoke. You'll have to skip ahead a few minutes in until she begins to speak. Anyways, thought you'd enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/41340665

p.s. Due of the overwhelming response to this event they will be hosting a follow-up town hall somewhere in Vancouver on June. 16th. Here is the blurb I just got - Save the date for a follow-up event with Robyn Allan on Saturday June 16, from 10 - 11:30 AM. Stay tuned for confirmed details and a formal invitation. You probably sign up for this event on Joyce Murray's website or I will post the info on this tread once they have the location, etc for those interested in attending.

I would love to attend this event Tincan. Please keep posting info' on this forum.

Pretty much everyone on here is now on the same wavelength about this project. B.C. bears ALL of the risk on behalf of China and Alberta. I don't know about you folks but I am not that nice and self sacrificing!!

"Something wicked this way comes" and we the people of BC have to kill it!!

Back