Elk Lake Derby

Bassblaster

Hey guys,

Saw an ad for a derby being held at Elk Lake during todays episode of Nice Fish. Anyone got any information on this. All I managed to catch from the ad was that it's some time in April?

Thanks for the link but the add didn't mention anything about the Take a Kid part. I guess I'll have to find one!

5th Annual Elk Lake Take a Kid Fishing Derby. Tickets are Adults - $25, Children under 16 - $10. First place prizes of $1,000 for the largest tout and the largest bass. This derby has live release weigh boats and weigh-station located strategically on the lake. For more info contact Island Outfitters at 350-475-4969. www.fishingvictoria.com
Not sure I know what you mean BB?.... did you click the link?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent 5.5 hours trolling elk yesterday. only one hit and it ripped my wedding band right off the leader! :(

Any tips on Elk lake? I seem to have troubles finding the fish in there!

-Steve

Wait till April/May. little early for good action. I used to do well sinking line black leech fishing the hiway side in 20 ft of water early morn nice and slow. Once you see the little swallows come out dive bombing the lake for bugs, its go time.

The swallows were going hard at prospect on thursday we had 27 fish on and landed 7. :p Yes I know very bad hit-landed ratio :p

Was a great day. Most action on the golf course side.

-Steve

Fishflyguy throw away the wedding band and gang troll and break out the heavy gear!! plugs, rapala's, casting spoons, ect. promise ya you will do much better.

Do you fish the plugs deep with weights or run them free up high?

And what is to big of a plug for elk? Like nothing over a 4" ?

-Steve

Depends on how bad the weeds are, how hot out it is and if the skies are clear or over cast. Over cast days the fish "usually" will feed shallower then on clear days, although if it's clear and choppy they will feed shallower too. Take a sounder and if your trolling rapala's stay 6' or deeper to be safe. Plug depth varies greatly on your plug. A tomic may go only 5'-10' while a Lyman may go 10-15'. Flat fish can get down over 20' (in the larger sizes). Don't be afraid of big lures! I use T-55 flat fish in lakes here on the island and all though you won't come home with your limit of pan fryers every time, the ones you do get are worth the weight!!! T-55 is about 6"

Derby Results

Derby results from today's derby.

Trout

1) 3 lbs 13 oz - Rick Taylor
2) 3 lbs 5 oz - Steve Bradford
3) 3 lbs 4 oz - Jeremy Thomason
4) 3 lbs 3 oz - Les Ledger
5) 3 lbs - Shillo Matte
6) 2 lbs 13 oz - Kenneth Mallard
7) 2 lbs 8 oz- Mitch Smith (Junior)
8) 2 lbs 10 oz - Bryson Babych
9) 2 lbs 10 oz - Jared Lennon
10) 2 lbs 10 oz - Joseph Knorr
11) 2 lbs 8 oz - Chris Deveaux
12) 2 lbs 8 oz - Andrew Keel
13 2 lbs 8 oz - Matt Collins
14) 2 lbs 7 oz - Sandy Munns

Junior anglers

1) 2 lbs 8 oz - Mitch Smith
2) 2 lbs 2 oz - Riley Mace
3) 2 lbs 1 oz - Daneil Mace
4) 1 lb 15 oz Brendan Creelman

Bass Results

1) 5 lbs 11 oz - Dave Bissenden (Dave won last year too)
2) 4 lbs 13 oz - Justin Remel
3) 3 lbs 14 oz - Brant Dame
4) 3 lbs 12 oz - Steve Johnson
5) 3 lbs 4 oz - Wade Stach

290 adults and 70 junior anglers bought tickets.

I got skunked! 2 strikes but none to my float tube. The catching was slow over all, the water too cold, and the water was turning over in the lake so there was a lot of suspended dead weeds and other matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they were all smallies, but I didn't ask that question. I'll try to find out for Monday's Fishing Report.

Looks like they had a good turn out. Would have loved to have been there, buuut, that irritating pain called work prevented participation. Maybe next year.

It was a lot of fun. A buddy and I weighed in three fish, and the biggest got him 7th place. Our first Derby placing, and our biggest trout yet out of Elk lake: 18.5" 2lb 10oz Thanks for the tips Prawnhunter, we used larger plugs and spoons and it paid off big time. A lot of people got skunked that day, the fish seemed picky and random. One fish hit a 4" Rapala and immediately jumped a bunch of times, a nice 17" 1lb 14oz rainbow. The larger fish was badly wounded and the third one died at the weigh boat so we kept them, the larger fish was a little muddy tasting due to the large algae bloom. All in all a great day on the water.

what number plugs/kwikfish work in elk lake? I wanna try my hand at dragging some bigger lures around and not just the gangtroll

It was a lot of fun. A buddy and I weighed in three fish, and the biggest got him 7th place. Our first Derby placing, and our biggest trout yet out of Elk lake: 18.5" 2lb 10oz Thanks for the tips Prawnhunter, we used larger plugs and spoons and it paid off big time. A lot of people got skunked that day, the fish seemed picky and random. One fish hit a 4" Rapala and immediately jumped a bunch of times, a nice 17" 1lb 14oz rainbow. The larger fish was badly wounded and the third one died at the weigh boat so we kept them, the larger fish was a little muddy tasting due to the large algae bloom. All in all a great day on the water.
Awsome guys!! Glad I could be of help.

Back