Elk Lake Carp

quote:Originally posted by Big Bob

Come on guys, we are talking about CARP!

What's wrong about talking about 5 to 8 pound cutties that used to inhabit this lake? Did you know that there was a creek on the N.W. end of Elk lake from which the old Fish and Game department took their cutthroat hatchery stock.

Now you have catfish, bass, perch, round tail rainbows and oh boy carp.
I am certain that with the "brain dead" mentality of some of our fellow citizens we will have carp comming to a lake near you in the not too distant future.

I have been saying this for years!!!! This lake has been taken to S@!#$t. I would be able to go to this lake and in a single morning be able to take Rainbows and Cutthroat to 27+". Now this does go back 20 years but fish then were plentiful and it was certainly because knowledge did not spread like wild fire. Over harvesting and over stocking has led Elk to be less than a trophy lake. It does have the nutrient levels to grow massive fish , but between user groups nothing effective can be agreed upon. Slowly the introduction of invasive species has occurred.No doubt some over zealous fisherman from back east yearning for those coarse fish of his younger years or even the specualtion that the CRD introduced these fish as a means to control an out of control milfoil problem. We are talking about a lake that provides training grounds to world renowned rowers. Rainbows would not be on their list of priorities. I could be wrong.

As far as the carp are concerned, well, we have been dealt with an unfortunate circumstance here. In stead of hanging up our rods, a few of us are adapting and making due with what we have.

I can assure you that I am not "Brain Dead"

HL

I'm not slagging the guys who fish for them ,only the guys who introduce them. These guys have also introduce cotton tail rabbits to the Island which are now all the way to Campbell river. Bull frogs are eating everything in sight from Victoria to Courtenay and the eastern gray squirrel is killing off the local red squirrel from Victoria to Nanaimo while opossums are eating all the ground nesting birds on Hornby Island.

I would like to see lots of people taking lots of these invaders by whatever means possible but like the broom along the highway I fear they are here to stay and expand their range thanks to the few think they are cute or remind them of home.

By the way I forgot sunfish from my list. Just think of the trout that these bazillion little buggers represent.

I'm all for removing invasive scecies, but we should be removing the alien rowers, they think they own the lake!

The fact is the hydrology and water quality of Elk Lake is nothing compared to what it used to be. All the development in the watershed and subsequent influx of artificial nutrients has drastically changed the ecology of the lake. It is far from being good habitat for salmonids like cutthroat and rainbow trout, and as a result has become much more conducive to species like bass and carp. It's the same pattern you will see all over north america (the world for that matter) where human population pressure has caused huge changes in natural ecosystems and that is reflected in altered species assemblages. My suggestion would be to make the best of it where it has been irrevocably altered, and work hard to preserve those places that are still relatively pristine. Unfortunately I don't think preservation is the priority of any of our levels of government, be it local (Bare Mountain), provincially (IPP's) or federally (fish farms). You can also see that in how your license revenues are allocated with very little going to support work on wild native species, and virtually all of it going to the production of pellet-fed, genetically engineered farm fish to support put and take fisheries. I think I’ll give the carp a whirl, at least they didn’t come out of a truck.

Great post KngFsh7 i hope others read and interpret that the way i did, because it sure makes you understand what is happening around us!

Thanks

-Steve

Here yah go guys. This fresh off the presses. Bill just got back from an island lake where again he was sight fishing to a large pod of Carp. One was 7lbs the other was 12lbs. Both on the fly.

Check it out.

sight.jpg

bigcarp.jpg

Wow, so when is bill going to start a Carp Charter company? I am down for carp on the fly! I am still waiting to figure them out. Did he say what lake that was? the water was soooo clear? I dident imagine carp in clear water??? Does this seem weird to anyone else???

-Steve

Obviously these ones were not taken at Elk lake. LOL

Not sure if Bill is ready to give up his honey hole just yet.

I'm going next week and will post pics.

Very interesting fishery. I dont know what to think. What would be the etiquette with these things, kill and release?

It sounds like a fairly patient fishery, makes the catch much more exciting. Nice work Bill

I would assume it to be very similar to fishing power bait on the bottom for trout, with a bigger better fight in the end.

-Steve

Library-1357.jpg

Well it was another great day on the lake, but only after searching for 2 hours for these fish. Just when I thought I had found the honey hole those carp just up and moved to the other side of the lake....Third cast and I was into a hog that took me way into my backing and then proceeded to go under a log and break me off.....you definately want to make sure you have your drag set for these fish because once they realize that they are hooked they just take off like a bat out of hell. The second fish did pretty much the same but came back at me and threw the hook....another great run from this fish......The last fish was a small one but a good little scrapper all the same..... Personally I would rather fly fish for carp then trout any day....I was sorry my fishing partner was not in on this trip...

Also welcome to the site CarpChaser! i am assuming you would be the infamous friend of mr. Highlights??? Great to have you on the site. The freshwater section is not as active as saltwater. will be nice to hear some of your stories and info!

-Steve

Library-1363.jpg

Hi fishflyguy89 , there are lots of flies on the internet for carp , but I started out using the Jamie's Kraze Carp fly ....http://www.flydogs.net/KrazyCarperRecipe.html . which is my go-to fly. But I think anything " buggy " will probably work for these carp as long as you get the fly down to them. I think it's just having the confidence in the fly that you're using. I've just started to experiment with some brown and black coloured flies with some success but I'm still pretty new at this carp fishing....so I don't have all the answers....Here is a picture of one that I've used this week which is basically a leech pattern..... Hope this helps......

Library-1363.jpg

Hi fishflyguy89 , there are lots of flies on the internet for carp , but I started out using the Jamie's Kraze Carp fly ....http://www.flydogs.net/KrazyCarperRecipe.html . which is my go-to fly. But I think anything " buggy " will probably work for these carp as long as you get the fly down to them. I think it's just having the confidence in the fly that you're using. I've just started to experiment with some brown and black coloured flies with some success but I'm still pretty new at this carp fishing....so I don't have all the answers....Here is a picture of one that I've used this week which is basically a leech pattern..... Hope this helps......

Back