ECVI French creek-Nanoose-nanaimo reports

Charter Tofino

figured there is enough sooke threads and since there is a good number of guys on the board we should start one. I was out off the end of mistaken today for a few hours before sunset in the crappy Nw wind. fished 2 rods 160-180 ft with copcar and skunk hootchie but got no action. Good to dust off the gear and make sure everythings running as its my first trip this season. Back out tommorow eve for a bit.

Great idea Kelly
I am taking my boat out of the water tonight for a good cleaning and waxing. Should be back in the water in a couple of days and will spend some time getting to know the water around NW Bay.
Do you fish the tides here or early morning bite?

Giusti went out again tonight couldnt get out until 7:30 so it was a short fish.Fished again 160-200 all over the top end of mistaken with one small hit. Gonna skip school wed morning and fish hard prob start at gerald and if its slow work back to mistaken. You been out? what have you been hitting your fish on?

kelly im living in alberta now, i was only there for may long weekend, i got my fish on a hootchie,i dont kno when im able to get out there again..one of my secret little spots is in the bay at mistaken, fish 90 feet in a 100 feet of water, caught one of my fish there last weekend, and several in the years past. give it a try! what speed you trolling at?

Giusti i feel your pain im off to calgary in september. Which bay is that giusti? the one on the southside or northside near the seal colony. thats interesting though. I havent seen much bait out there. Im gonna get out for a long fish tommorow at 5 till 11. I should get some action. Start out fishing the reef on the north part of gerald and if nothings showing scoot back to mistaken. Im gonna go down to schooner now and talk to some guys.

ya, towards where the seals are , the side facing the spar buoi, just around that corner. you should give balenas a chance

Yea thats where i got that hit. Ballenas is prob fishing good but lately when the winds pick up to 25kts i dont feel comfortable in my 14fter. ill report tommorow

Went out yesterday in a buddys boat.

After a few schmozzles and kerfuffles we got the gear in and good to go around Neck Point. No longer than 2 or 3 minutes and bang, one rod had one on. I couldn't help but laugh as I had spent about 30 minutes fixing some problems and needed a rest so I said, let me drive.

Anyway, about 20 seconds later the other rod went.

2 to the boat and released, about 20 inches or so. No seals to boot.

About 20 minutes later, we hooked and landed a 29 inch spring. Great fight and tasted great on the bbq last night.

Two more hits but none to the boat and still no seals. The weather had calmed and it was a beautiful day on the water. Fished from about 0930 to 1400.

The lime green hootchy was the most active with army truck doing the rest. No deeper than 135 feet.

Going back out in a few minutes, no fishing though, just some cruising and eating and maybe a beverage or two.

Summer is finally here.

Just got back in, what a beautiful night on the water.

quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

Fished for about 2 hours.

Not a sniff, didn't really mark anything either. Sure was a beauty of a night though.

Hitting French Creek early Saturday morning, promised the wife a salmon...looks like I might be stopping by the French Creek Seafood market on my way home[:I].
Then again, alot can change in 3 days.

Sure can BAckatit.

One year ago this Sunday saw us into 5 fish, landing 3, none under 18lbs.

All white springs, and we only got to fish for an hour and a half. So I'm detirmined to find this batch again this year.

Fishing was good for the next week as well, though not quite as crazy.

I think your timing should be good. I'll be out there unless AlberniFisher balls up to go offshore on the otherside:)

Fishing in the nanaimo area has been steady for me, lately army truck hootchies have been working well, most fish about 10-20 feet off bottom.

big algea bloom right now makes it a bit spotty. I fished hard this morning and got 7 hours on the water. We had a good amount of hits and a fun although unproductive morning. We landed a few decent rockfish and a 5 lber that was undersized. Around ten we hooked up with a nice fish in the high teens but after a decent battle the hook popped. Not ten minutes latter on the next pass through the bait another hookup with about a 15lber. Fought the fish out and as i went to net it i see a shadow behind it! F#(*@# ing seal! steals it within inches of my net. I yell swear chase ect and after 20 min and countless times withing feet of the net the seal rips it off. All im left with is a head. Cant complain though the hookups were there. All fish on coyotoes cop car and holographic at 170 feet on the bottom in the bait near gerald island. Talked to 6 or so other boats but they didnt have any action. Headed out again now. Marc bring ur boat up here:D much comfier than my 14fter. tight lines

kelly, sounds like a great day! i guess you didnt try and fish mistaken? one day you can show me how to fish gerald, never been too productive for me.

quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

Sure can BAckatit.

One year ago this Sunday saw us into 5 fish, landing 3, none under 18lbs.

All white springs, and we only got to fish for an hour and a half. So I'm detirmined to find this batch again this year.

I remember that post...sounded like a great day, fish on before your second rod was in the water.
Hope to see you out there.

giusti i fished gerlad 2 hours then ran back to mistaken and didnt see anything but didnt fish it that hard maybe an hour then i ran back to gerald. I find more bait around gerald and have yet to catch a fish at mistaken. Just got in from trying to fish gerald but gave up after 20 min after i snagged up and was havin some other problems. I hate fishing 2 manual dowriggers by myself when im trying to fish just off the bottom. to much work to make it fun. Did have a pod of porpises swim beside me though. i got a few pics this morning none great though.

Back