dual helm steering

albernifisher

Starting to aquire things for my boat, Besides the 2 hydraulic helm's what else do I need,how does it get plumbed for two steering stations?

There use to be a schematic in Paynes Marine catalogue and I think Wesmarine catalogue also has one for outboards.

You can order the add a helm kit and it comes with the fitting you need.

So, looks like I have the steering figured out. Next question, is there any way to have front and rear kicker controls?

Probably have to buy 2 new binnacles with separate throttle and shift. That's what I had to do when I added the outside cabin helm on my Seasport

Owen (FA) got an electronic speed control system (I can't remember the name) for his kicker that could be moved from one station to another. You might want to check with him.

So, looks like I have the steering figured out. Next question, is there any way to have front and rear kicker controls?

My kicker remote control unit is mounted on the side wall just behind the main helm seat. From that position I can come off plane and switch over to running on the kicker in a few seconds all without getting out of the main helm station chair. While out the back fishing the kicker remote station is easily accessible for throttle control and taking it out of gear etc. With proper positioning you really only need one remote control kicker station on most boats unless you have an enclosed cabin. You can also get a fine adjustment electronic throttle control module with speed resume to mount up at you main helm station but they are expensive (about $300.) and if you have a full remote kicker with an accessible remote control station while out the back, not all that necessary unless you have money to burn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Troll King electronic controller that I use for a 2nd station throttle control,(up front) the Yamaha control box is located on the aft steering station.. It works with most smaller 4 stroke outboards. It basically uses a small RC servo motor connected to the carb throttle linkage and a rotary dial controller you can mount where you want it. The nice thing about the electronic controller is that rpms don't change at all when you turn the motor and the regular control cables move around. There is always some slight fluctuation in rpms when using the regular control box as the cables move and stretch slightly when you move the engine around. I also have a hydraulic cylinder on the kicker and it is plumbed into the steering with a liquid valve so no noisy vibrating tie bar between the main and kicker.

Probably have to buy 2 new binnacles with separate throttle and shift. That's what I had to do when I added the outside cabin helm on my Seasport

I am curious; If I understand what you did correctly, how did you manage to hook up 2 separate cables each for the kicker throttle and transmission and get them to work in harmony, on a remote kicker which is designed for mounting and access through the cowlings and has attachment points for only one cable each, at least on my Yami? I assume it took some creative modifications at the kicker end of things? Perhaps we a talking about different things such as two separate motors. I am assuming it would be for two full remote stations for a single kicker as that was what AF seemed to be asking.

I am curious; If I understand what you did correctly, how did you manage to hook up 2 separate cables each for the kicker throttle and transmission and get them to work in harmony, on a remote kicker which is designed for mounting and access through the cowlings and has attachment points for only one cable each, at least on my Yami? I assume it took some creative modifications at the kicker end of things? Perhaps we a talking about different things such as two separate motors. I am assuming it would be for two full remote stations for a single kicker as that was what AF seemed to be asking.

Its Called dual station. One remote goes to the next remote and then to the kicker. . So if you advance the throttle in the cabin it advances the throttle in the cockpit which advances the throttle on the kicker or main in my setup.
I have Morse controls and they recommend the Teleflex Extreme cables as there is more friction with 2 controls.
Certainly takes a bit longer to fine tune the system so that they both work in unison.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/s_twins_instruction_manual.pdf

Thanks, that explains it, they are inline or go through a divider.

Back