Down to the meat and potatoes

Sculpin

Well my mother always said I do some stuff backwards. I have been busting my you know what all winter with the jewlery on my vessel. Well now it's time for the meat and potatoes lol. Got the engines going now in maintenance mode.

IMG_2461.jpg

I found a few area's of concern that I will look after for sure.

This is the area where the control cables come into the engine. I'll clean it up and put some inhibitor in the area for sure.

IMG_2450.jpg

The only rusty bolt on this 2005 Honda BF225. I knew about it's condition last year and I will finally replace it this year as it has gotten quite worse. It is due to being so close to the corner of the cowling seal that must be leaking in that area. The other side is fine. (I replaced it with the upper bolt from the top cylinder). What have you folks done in the past to help seal your cowling's?

IMG_2460.jpg

Doing alot more myself this year as I want to become a little more intimate with these engines.

IMG_2462.jpg

I'm not a super mechanical guy (I just know how to stick metal together) but can figure out alot of stuff. Time to start knowing alot more about my engines myself instead of taking them to a mechanic or dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone use this stuff?

IMG_2468.jpg

I heard that BC Ferries use it and the Navy in Esquimalt uses it. I figure it must be good stuff!

Anyways's I got the new plug's gapped and installed. Going to change all the fluid's tomorrow. I managed to strip a couple of bolts on my kicker motor trying to take off the side cowlings. Hello spring motor maintence lol!

Howz everyone else making out with there spring motor senario's?

What have you folks done in the past to help seal your cowling's?

Hey Sculpin: With my 17' Malibu, the engines were close to the water and often the cowlings took some wash. I used this stuff - Seal and Peel - on the back half and it worked fine. You can peel it off (obviously) easily. Supposed to be good for a year. I squeezed a bead into the groove in the rubber gasket, then mounted the cowling. Came from Home Depot, I think. Oh - and it has a fresh vanilla scent!

Really good photo essay, btw. Sell it to a boating mag?

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=20

Fluid Film is another good product. Kinda expensive but coats well and 'hangs' on.
Mechs at the lodge used it a lot.

Where can you buy that stuff?

http://www.ship-2-shore.com/contact.htm#Outlets

Hey Sculpin: With my 17' Malibu, the engines were close to the water and often the cowlings took some wash. I used this stuff - Seal and Peel - on the back half and it worked fine. You can peel it off (obviously) easily. Supposed to be good for a year. I squeezed a bead into the groove in the rubber gasket, then mounted the cowling. Came from Home Depot, I think. Oh - and it has a fresh vanilla scent!

Really good photo essay, btw. Sell it to a boating mag?

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=20

Thanks Foxsea. I'll try that stuff out because I like how it is removable.

"the Navy in Esquimalt uses it."
On their subs? #;o)

Well we changed the oils and everything looks great. No water signs anywhere. Spraying down everything with the Ship to Shore stuff and putting them back together. I'm going to wax the outsides of the engines like profisher does. I really liked his maintenance run down he posted earlier. Great list of stuff to do. Thanks for that profisher.

The kicker carb was pretty gummed up and we ripped it apart and dealt with it. I will be draining the bowl after every outing like Sharphooks recommended in his thread. Thankyou Sharphooks for that. I hope to be on the water by next weekend.

Thanks everyone that post's such valuable information on this site.

Cheers,
John

Anyone ever do something to their kicker that makes you say "oh ****"?

I stripped a couple of the machine screws (that had philips heads on them:mad:) that hold on the cover to the upper leg and thought I would just drill them out and put in the next sized up machine screw. Well live and learn. I screwed it up royally. I ended up drilling too far into the block and it went right through and it is open space now. I am looking now at the diagram online to see how bad this is.

The only positive so far is that Honda changed their bolt heads to a hex key style now:rolleyes: (obviously this has been a problem in the past). I ordered 4 of them to replace the philips head style. I have one and possibly two (the opposite side) that are totally screwed. The others are ok.

Anyone ever do something to their kicker that makes you say "oh ****"?

I stripped a couple of the machine screws (that had philips heads on them:mad:) that hold on the cover to the upper leg and thought I would just drill them out and put in the next sized up machine screw. Well live and learn. I screwed it up royally. I ended up drilling too far into the block and it went right through and it is open space now. I am looking now at the diagram online to see how bad this is.

The only positive so far is that Honda changed their bolt heads to a hex key style now:rolleyes: (obviously this has been a problem in the past). I ordered 4 of them to replace the philips head style. I have one and possibly two (the opposite side) that are totally screwed. The others are ok.

I have never been a fan of screw driver heads as a locking fastener, good on ya John for replacing them to socket cap screws

Wish I was close by bra I'd help ya change that metric shiz to standard
I have felt tat pain!!!

I have never been a fan of screw driver heads as a locking fastener, good on ya John for replacing them to socket cap screws

Wish I was close by bra I'd help ya change that metric shiz to standard
I have felt tat pain!!!

Buddy your alive! I'll post some pic's of what I'm talking about and hopefully get some direction. I sure hope I haven't screwed the pooch big time.

Buddy your alive! I'll post some pic's of what I'm talking about and hopefully get some direction. I sure hope I haven't screwed the pooch big time.

I only die'd after the nucks went dwn, but got resurrected on Kelly's Hourston build

Now when ya say that U drill'd too deep into the block, did it penetrate into the an area that needs to B resealed, if so will a shallow set screw @ the bottom, coated with lock tight work??

I only die'd after the nucks went dwn, but got resurrected on Kelly's Hourston build

Now when ya say that U drill'd too deep into the block, did it penetrate into the an area that needs to B resealed, if so will a shallow set screw @ the bottom, coated with lock tight work??

Oh it's worse than that man!

Back