Hi All
having to be a self confessed tackle tart
i really like my rigging to be neat and tidy
so being a downrigger fisherman now after 30yrs of carping back in the UK
here is a couple of variations you may like to try out
it may or not work for you?
but if you like to mess around feel free and don't forget to pass the tips on

Scotty stacker mod clip
( i'll do a long release version of this next time in the work shop)
i used 250lb mono crimped and covered with blk rubber tubing so just having the release clips really back to back pivoting. outer clip has power tension-er removed.

and tidy version of the Hair Trigger release

using a smaller crimp tucked into the tapered pin hole and looping the fixed end.
as Scotty suggests the HTR is ideal for braids rather than the power grip release?

photos 001.jpg photos 004.jpg photos 005.jpg photos 008.jpg photos 007.jpg

thanks for posting this. I have a question, the photo where the two clips are back to back, if you run a line off of each clip, won't they get tangled together?

thanks for posting this. I have a question, the photo where the two clips are back to back, if you run a line off of each clip, won't they get tangled together?

With those Scotty Stacker clips.....one of the clips goes on your downrigger cable/line; you then also clip the little metal clip around the rigger cable. You're not fishing two lines off one of those clips; they are designed for stacking lines and you'd use it on your top line. The benefit is if the line is coming up and the clip pops....it still has the littlie metal clip around your rigger line and you won't lose the set up; it will just hang freely on the line until it hits the bottom clip/ball.

I like using these clips period; especially if you have some newbs on the rigger who may have a habit of popping clips off. Below is how they are normally rigged....what it looks like he's done is just eliminate the extra run going to the clip for your mainline.

PGRIP_stackersml.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pippen

outer clip go's to the downrigger cable/ braid and coast lock keeper as per the scooty pic
and the normal one just pivots and holds the mainline of the fishing rod

thought being that a loaded rod will not run the release clip at 90 degrees it will have a tendency to pull the release clip up ???

and being so compact it has no tendency to tangle

the only problem is the arm of the downrigger will have to be swung in to put the clip on or unless your using the scotty weight retrievers

hence why iam going to do a longer version (72") as i run my boom's out all the time
and use a loop hook to pull the long release clips in
saves swinging the boom arms around and cannon ball's thumping the side of the boat...lol

Hi
Another thought here Pippen

if you use the stacker clips try put a poly ball wedged inside the loop of the release clips

rather than it sliding down to the cannon ball or the lower release

it floats back up the top ????

there is a Gadget from back east or down south called the shuttle hawk that takes it self down and when it releases it come's back up the down rigger line to the surface

but i think its only good for shallow water fishing maybe 25-30'
as fishing Howe Sound here is all around 90-150'

Hi
Another thought here Pippen

if you use the stacker clips try put a poly ball wedged inside the loop of the release clips

rather than it sliding down to the cannon ball or the lower release

it floats back up the top ????

there is a Gadget from back east or down south called the shuttle hawk that takes it self down and when it releases it come's back up the down rigger line to the surface

but i think its only good for shallow water fishing maybe 25-30'
as fishing Howe Sound here is all around 90-150'

Hey wildthing - got any pics you can post of this - I am a visual kind of guy, thanks.

I am just trying to figure out what the advantage would be to having the stacker clip "float" as opposed to just sit loosely on the line once released and eventually end up on the lower clip or ball?

Would a poly ball wedged into the clip not affect the ability to open it to clip the mainline or rigger line?

I am also just trying to picture what you are referring to.

you can cut a couple of grooves into the polyball
so it sits snug but leaves you enough to squeeze the release clip open
and having it come back up you can still leave the bottom rod fishing.
in say 20' all depends how close you stack??? rather than having to pull the ball (set up) completely up

more time with gear in the water

john

fishing 2 rods for each down rigger

my fishing buddy and i always fish 2 rods for each down rigger and usually don't have any problem,,we always have 4 rods in the water,,we love fishing this way,,we can stack them at 4 different depths to see where the fish are,,we just use the scotty clips,,one down by our 12lb ball and the other we just clip on our braided down rigger line at about 40-50 foot spread,,up higher,,,you just should keep an eye open for when the first clip appears and stop the down rigger then take that clip off,,we work as a team,,so the guy that has the fish on only plays the fish and the other guy does all of the work,,works for us,,good luck,,

I've never used the stacker clip, so im trying to understand exactly how it works. Im only confused about how the release clip attached to the DR cable/line comes free?? If the mainline from the rod is popped free from its clip wouldnt the clip attached to the DR cable remain attached, preventing it from sliding....

With those Scotty Stacker clips.....one of the clips goes on your downrigger cable/line; you then also clip the little metal clip around the rigger cable. You're not fishing two lines off one of those clips; they are designed for stacking lines and you'd use it on your top line. The benefit is if the line is coming up and the clip pops....it still has the littlie metal clip around your rigger line and you won't lose the set up; it will just hang freely on the line until it hits the bottom clip/ball.

I like using these clips period; especially if you have some newbs on the rigger who may have a habit of popping clips off. Below is how they are normally rigged....what it looks like he's done is just eliminate the extra run going to the clip for your mainline.

PGRIP_stackersml.jpg

It will pop off and drop down the line when it hits the end of the rigger when auto retreiving the cannonball,
should also pass over the stopper beads so you are free to hit the auto button and fight your fish

It will pop off and drop down the line when it hits the end of the rigger when auto retreiving the cannonball

Exactly......so if you start bringing up your ball....and the clip attached to the rigger line happens to hit the pulley on your downrigger it just pops off and the little metal snap keeps it from sinking into the depths. It will just slide down the line to your cannon ball or lower clip.

With the new high speed Scotty's they are nice as people aren't always watching for the ball closely....even with stoppers these things can help you save a few $$$ on clips.

I can't begin to count how many clips that I have accidentally knocked off over the years when I have been out alone with 4 lines out, hooked a good fish and tried to clear the other lines and downriggers lines out of the way while playing the fish. This thread will save me some $$$ ... thanks to all!

Cool.. thanks for the explanation.. I'm thinking this is probably the only way to go! I find that every once in a while the stopper bead can slip for whatever reason, leaving you vulnerable to knock off a clip. This set up should guarantee no more losing clips.. :D

Exactly......so if you start bringing up your ball....and the clip attached to the rigger line happens to hit the pulley on your downrigger it just pops off and the little metal snap keeps it from sinking into the depths. It will just slide down the line to your cannon ball or lower clip.

With the new high speed Scotty's they are nice as people aren't always watching for the ball closely....even with stoppers these things can help you save a few $$$ on clips.

Just watch out with the HP's I run 2 of them and they do have enough balls that they break everything off should you happen to get a clip fetched up on your stopper beads
it gets costly watching your glow balls and snubbers return to the depths, DON'T ask me how I know this, its kind of a sensitive subject.
Tim

Just watch out with the HP's I run 2 of them and they do have enough balls that they break everything off should you happen to get a clip fetched up on your stopper beads
it gets costly watching your glow balls and snubbers return to the depths, DON'T ask me how I know this, its kind of a sensitive subject.
Tim

saw two whole setups go down one day this summer, the clip got above the stopper on the braided line and snapped it off when it hit the top wheel. snapped it so quick that there was nothing to do but stare at it. then about an hour or two later the same on the other side, ping, gone. I can't believe it should snap so easy, only good thing is that it wasn't my boat. these weren't the new style riggers either.

sorry no pictures but I can introduce you to the pissed off captain who may be going back to cable real soon, lol

hi
to the peep's running braid on the downriggers

if you have suffered snap off's had you gone round the stopper twice????
as i have had my swivel lock up in the pulley
( i loop my braid and pass my swivel through for the release clip leader)
it slid 3 orange stop's down to the bumper on the coastal snap as i have stopped using a snubber and poly hook

also run copper bell's on the end of my boom's (know when iam running/hitting botttom...lol).

did not snap up but had to pull up and sort it out

and one other thing scotty do have a few differing breaking strains out for there downrigger braids

i suppose if your running 15lb balls use the highest BS braid they have

and don't the scotty HP downriggers have a built in clutch ???

as my scottys tend to slip if they get hooked up on bottom
(after err the booms going over and the down-rigger...lol).

john

saw two whole setups go down one day this summer, the clip got above the stopper on the braided line and snapped it off when it hit the top wheel. snapped it so quick that there was nothing to do but stare at it. then about an hour or two later the same on the other side, ping, gone. I can't believe it should snap so easy, only good thing is that it wasn't my boat. these weren't the new style riggers either.

sorry no pictures but I can introduce you to the pissed off captain who may be going back to cable real soon, lol
I have broken off braid and the new scotty HP wire that 15lb Ball is travelling so fast upward that when it stops suddenly the inertia alone snaps the line,
I now have my stopper beads set so I leave the ball about 5' under water and then I deal with it when I can, If you try and set them so the ball just clears the water its too late

hi
and don't the scotty HP downriggers have a built in clutch ???
john
Ya they slip real good as soon as it tears the teeth off the belt, (another sensitive subject)
then try and find a belt in stock for one, no one stocked them ause they were too new,
nice to know I was the first at something lol
But it was all a learning curve and I now know their limits,
and I would definately buy them again

I have broken off braid and the new scotty HP wire that 15lb Ball is travelling so fast upward that when it stops suddenly the inertia alone snaps the line,
I now have my stopper beads set so I leave the ball about 5' under water and then I deal with it when I can, If you try and set them so the ball just clears the water its too late

these ones that broke off were on the top clip that we were running, so like 50' above the ball and the other clip, it was sad to see...

might as well just bring some $20's out and throw them over the side

I set up the bottom stops like you do that seems to work well

Back