Dougs boat sales.

I'm pretty sure it's the same guy I bought a 25hp Yamaha off of about 4 years ago. He had an add in the Buy and Sell on that one and I came over from the mainland on a Saturday and met him and picked the motor up at SG Power. I think he might of had a working relationship with them. You could give them a call and see what they have to say about him. I got a decent deal on it. I think it was a trade in. It was sitting in their service department and they loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the same guy he did mention SG power but he dosn't work there. He claims he has sold thousands of engines but I've asked around and no one knows him. That along with other things like needing a 15% deposit sight unseen makes me wonder.

i bought my 15 hp kicker from doug`s boats and a few other items,,,he`s okay to deal with,,he is alot cheaper then anyone else,,,and the kicker i bought from him works excellent and i have never had a problem with it,,his son works in the boat supplies department at sg power,,

Will he do the 15% deposit by credit card. If he will then your are protected through you credit card, you can refute the charge and they would charge him back if you walked away from the deal and he wouldn't give you you're money back. I think he's probably a broker, so he has some connections with SG and maybe some others and sells the lease returns and trade ins they don't want to be bothered with.

It is the same guy. I remember the business card and it looks like his logo on his site. You would think if he was burning people he would of been caught by now. Like I said, i had no problems with him. I'm pretty cautious myself, i don't remember giving a deposit. He might not have the motor and wants to have the deal lined up before he takes you to the place that does. In the end you've got to be able to sleep at night, so make sure you are comfortable.

tHIS GUY IS THE BEST-- Clayton Arden--250 2164932 in Victoria--he is a rebuilder with HONOR. Warranty with a smile and really good prices.....theardens@shaw.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
I dealt with Doug when buying a 2004 Yamaha 225 4 stroke a coule of years ago. It was just rebuilt at SG Power. On the first trip out with the new to me motor it developed a knock. So i called Doug back and he said there was no warranty on used motors but he would see what he could do. So he actually got SG Power to redo the rebuild. Turned out they had thrown a new piston into a cylinder without it being bored out so the noise was from the rounder piston in a slightly oval hole. Got the motor back and have had no further issues. Pretty happy with the fact that he got them to rebuild it after he told me there was no warranty. I would recomend him.

Hey Millertime,
I bought a used motor from Doug about 2 years back and he warranteed it for 3 months. It overheated due mostly due to my fault, but it also had another minor issue that he would not have noticed unless he took it out in real world trolling (throttle slipping). He fixed it all without argument and I offered up some cash as my stupidity tax. I also had him looking for another main motor for me and he was very helpful, but I ended up getting a sweet deal elsewhere. He has been in business continuously for many years and keeps costs down by operating from his home and having good relations with SG and others. His son is the parts guys at SG and he bulk buys the lease return motors that SG does not have room for. He also had a repair guy out in Sooke on Idlemore and he kept some motors out there. I would use him again to locate a motor.

tHIS GUY IS THE BEST-- Clayton Arden--250 2164932 in Victoria--he is a rebuilder with HONOR. Warranty with a smile and really good prices.....theardens@shaw.ca

He did a 50hp merc for me about 10 years ago, didn't work out so well.
i was back and forth to his shop in Metchosin at least 6 times.
they finally gave up on it and got the motor back in a couple of cardboard boxes.
he did refund my money though.

Thanks for all the feedback and tips. It's great when answers are
just a mouse click away.......:)

Not much available on the market from what i can see but this guy has some merc 200s and 225s. Has anyone dealt with him latley? Thanks

bought a 115 merc EFI fourstroke....wouldnt buy from again, regret not paying the extra money on a camp return.

Back