Double Eagle Restoration

Does anyone in the group know the fellow that goes by the handle of "Peterman" He restored a 20' DE back in 2012 or so and had a Yamaha 200 on it. He later had the boat up for sale and I don;t know if he sold it or not. I have pm'd him regarding performance of that combo but haven't heard back. I suspect if he sold his boat he probably isn't looking at the forum regularly.

My poded 21' does 30miles at 4300 with a 150 hp yamaha 4 stroke . It will do 43 at 5500 but the fuel consumption doubles . I got a pod and rocket launchers built for 2600 cash on vi from a guy on this forum . Pm for more info

I put a bracket on my 20 hourston with a 275 verado. I have had it up to 55 mph with 1000 rpm to go before redline. It was too fast and started to chine walk. I would think a 200 would be perfect on a 20 double eagle. If I don't sell my boat this year to upgrade I will repower with a 175-200 etec or verado. I find 30 a great cruising speed on calm waters.

Have had a bit of a struggle with my 20'..put a 351 in and had it up to 47mph before I blew the cam dizzy gear:(
Metal shavings everywhere.

Wanting to do a new wheelhouse outta aluminum just like yours Alex. Nice work btw!!
You think a 115 yami 4stroke be ok? If so I'd go pod route sooner rather than Later.
My 17' might be willing to lend its main ;)

Edit: sorry, guess you already answered that!

Last edited:
Have had a bit of a struggle with my 20'..put a 351 in and had it up to 47mph before I blew the cam dizzy gear:(
Metal shavings everywhere.

Wanting to do a new wheelhouse outta aluminum just like yours Alex. Nice work btw!!
You think a 115 yami 4stroke be ok? If so I'd go pod route sooner rather than Later.
My 17' might be willing to lend its main ;)

Edit: sorry, guess you already answered that!
my 90 is way under powered but is doing job for now im hoping to power with a 150 or a 200

I can add some personal experience... My Old man has a 1996 20' double eagle with a pod. Originaly had a 200hp carbureted Yami, we ran it for years and did the job nicely. It now has a 250hp ETEC and it's night and day performance wise, especially when you add 3-4 guys and enough gear for a weekend.

IMO 225 or bigger is best suited for the boat. My only complaint with the boat is fuel capacity is on the small side if your doing long trips.

Awesome boat once you get it podded and rigged for fishing.

I can add some personal experience... My Old man has a 1996 20' double eagle with a pod. Originaly had a 200hp carbureted Yami, we ran it for years and did the job nicely. It now has a 250hp ETEC and it's night and day performance wise, especially when you add 3-4 guys and enough gear for a weekend.

IMO 225 or bigger is best suited for the boat. My only complaint with the boat is fuel capacity is on the small side if your doing long trips.

Awesome boat once you get it podded and rigged for fishing.
Do you know what the performance is like? What kind of rpm and speed does he cruise at? What about top speed? Are you sure he has a 20' and not a 22'? I'm all for putting lots of HP on the back of my boats I just thought 250 was a bit much for it......maybe I'm wrong.

Do you know what the performance is like? What kind of rpm and speed does he cruise at? What about top speed? Are you sure he has a 20' and not a 22'? I'm all for putting lots of HP on the back of my boats I just thought 250 was a bit much for it......maybe I'm wrong.
Yes 100% sure it's a 20' Double Eagle, it's one of the first boats to come directly from Double Eagle brand new ready for a pod. I am not sure what the exact numbers are I have never really paid attention. It will do almost 50 mph at WOT and cruzes nicely around 30-35. 250 is defiantly not over powered it's just right. If your going to pack three or for guys and go for a weekend 200 would be the bare minimum I wouldn't go with.

Yes 100% sure it's a 20' Double Eagle, it's one of the first boats to come directly from Double Eagle brand new ready for a pod. I am not sure what the exact numbers are I have never really paid attention. It will do almost 50 mph at WOT and cruzes nicely around 30-35. 250 is defiantly not over powered it's just right. If your going to pack three or for guys and go for a weekend 200 would be the bare minimum I wouldn't go with.
Thank you

Hi There

I have as1988 20' eagle just in the project stage, re-built the transom and stringers on starboard side. Along with deck and floatation. Putting a 225 opti-max on her ,and hoping all goes to plan .Very good boats have had them all my life ,but this one I know is going to be great.

Update. We came across a deal that was too good to pass up. We picked up a 2001 Yamaha 200 ox66 2 stroke LH rotation. We had a 150 0x66 on our Campion CC and they are great motors other than a ton of filters to service. Our plan was to hold out for a 225-250 4 stroke but we couldn't pass this one up. We'll give it a go and worst case scenario we sell it and move on to a bigger 4 stroke. If things work out we may have just shaved $5,000-$6,000 off our build budget and we'll be on the water for winter springs. The plan is to drop the boat off at the end of the month to have the pod installed. I'll get some pics up once the pod is on.

It's getting closer. This is going to be a great boat.

Attachments

• 20171005_125542.jpg
    20171005_125542.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 20171005_130205.jpg
    20171005_130205.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 20171005_134614.jpg
    20171005_134614.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 345
I like the looks of your interior, gives me ideas I'm going to copy it somewhat! I'm thinking my rear steering will be in the same location however the wheel vertical because the bridge steering I removed has a standard sized wheel.
Are you going to have a panel covering the transom? Just concerned about the possibility of dropping something on those battery posts.

Thanks. We're pretty happy with the layout. I wish it had seating for 4 but on the flip side this layout has a ton of storage and counter space. Something our last boat lacked. We chose that steering location because we anticipate sitting on the transom on both sides of the wheel while trolling. We considered mounting the wheel vertically but it feels more natural to operate it the way it's mounted. We are making a cover for the transom. The exposed batteries was a bit of a mistake. I have a couple of old plastic battery boxes with lids I planned to use but when we brought the group 27 batteries home I realized that the boxes are for group 24's. There isn't enough room there to put those 27's in boxes. They are sitting on a rubber pad so they should be OK.

Thanks Alex. I wasn't aware of that. What's the theory?
the bottom coat is desighned to be a barrior to the hull and will continue to come off over time till it is gone, so it will not allow the 5200 to create a lasting bond too the hull, not a good thing

Back