"Dog days of Sooke"

JuandeOne

As any Sooke regular can attest too, the Dogfish have moved in lately. I thought it would be interesting and informative if the Sooke guys/gals shared some of their "hardware" secrets with each other to help avoid these pains in the rump. As reports always indicate for Sooke, 95% of the springs are taken with bait.

My only non-bait slab in Sooke was taken on a 6" #340 Tomic.

Yes doggies have been bad i personally use coyote spoons behind a flasher and do quite well with them last year i caught on one day more on a spoon then bait you just never know thats why its called fishing!!!!!!!!! Good luck Wolf

Yes doggies have been bad i personally use coyote spoons behind a flasher and do quite well with them last year i caught on one day more on a spoon then bait you just never know thats why its called fishing!!!!!!!!! Good luck Wolf

I tried coyote spoons, army truck cuttle fish behind a hot spot flasher and a green and white hootchie behind a sooke special, to no avail. We did get one 15 lb spring on bait at about 6:30am at Secretary Island but then spent the next 5 1/2 hours shaking off doggies. My uncle used to run a charter out of Pender Harbour back in the 60's and i remember him blowing them off the hook with a sawed off stainless steel 4-10 shotgun. Hell on hooks, but it impressed the hell out of the charters.
Tom

I tried coyote spoons, army truck cuttle fish behind a hot spot flasher and a green and white hootchie behind a sooke special, to no avail. We did get one 15 lb spring on bait at about 6:30am at Secretary Island but then spent the next 5 1/2 hours shaking off doggies. My uncle used to run a charter out of Pender Harbour back in the 60's and i remember him blowing them off the hook with a sawed off stainless steel 4-10 shotgun. Hell on hooks, but it impressed the hell out of the charters.
Tom

Im partial to a purple haze hoochie and purple flasher these days. Seems crazy, but works really well, and the coho like it too. Dogs will sometimes take it.

Red

Im partial to a purple haze hoochie and purple flasher these days. Seems crazy, but works really well, and the coho like it too. Dogs will sometimes take it.

Red

Back