Does this sound right?

Jencourt

looking for thoughts on something I found surprising and did not agree with.
Had repairs done at a repair shop/ outboard dealer. The shop did not have a tool required to carry out the repair. They took the job anyway and said they would locate one. Wen it came time to pay the bill I was informed that they had charged me 30.00$ Freight to receive and return said tool that they borrowed from the part suppliers. I do not feel it is my responsibility to pay for the tools /use of tool that a shop charging me 105.00$ an hour needed to do a job they agreed to do knowing they did not have tool.

BTW this was a specific wrench needed to spin the caps out of my trim rams on my 150 four stroke.

Am I missing something here?

seems a bit strange, that sort of thing is what shop supplies cover that gets charged to all customers. it costs me to get tools all the time, but that is part of buisness

Jencourt this is common practice in other industries. Just never heard of it in this case but I would differ to anyone working in this industry.

I had some initial thoughts and then thought to myself at least he is telling you what he charged you for. $30 isn't going to cover a courier two directions, a lessor paid employee doing it? I thought yeah I need a tool to make money I just buy but how many times are you going to use it?
I think most businesses, or mechanics find when they need a special socket at least part of it is worked into the price you don't need to know about.
Your happy with the job he did? For price other than $30.

Last edited:
It's the surprise on the bill that bothers me. Tell the customer up front that he's going to be charged shipping for a tool the shop doesn't have. No issue then.

A simple pin wrench has got to be the easiest thing to make. I did a trim tilt cyl for a buddy this week and making the pin wrench was the easiest part of that job!

Thanks for input on this.seems to be dividd as to what is right. For me As a customer since the place opened that spends an average of some where on either side of 2k a year there I guess I thought a little less gouging on there part would not be unreasonable. Especially in the case of not having tools to do job they agreed to do. Common practice or not I do not agree with it. For the record. It is not the 30 bucks. This was an over 700$ bill right after the more than thousand I spent a few weeks ago, so 30 bucks is not it.
This was more about the surprise and way I was treated wen I questioned it and politely expressed my opinion of it to the owner.

Anyway I have choices as to where I go next. For now I am going fishing!!!!!

I agree with how you feel. Most shops would hide it, you wouldn't know about it and all would be good.
After $1700 in repairs yes I would think profits should cover the cost of tools they didn't have to do the job.
Happy fishing!

Thanks for input on this.seems to be dividd as to what is right. For me As a customer since the place opened that spends an average of some where on either side of 2k a year there I guess I thought a little less gouging on there part would not be unreasonable. Especially in the case of not having tools to do job they agreed to do. Common practice or not I do not agree with it. For the record. It is not the 30 bucks. This was an over 700$ bill right after the more than thousand I spent a few weeks ago, so 30 bucks is not it.
This was more about the surprise and way I was treated wen I questioned it and politely expressed my opinion of it to the owner.

Anyway I have choices as to where I go next. For now I am going fishing!!!!!
i agree 100% they have more the absorbed the cost of "FREIGHT" in the bill. they should have built a wrench or bought one and then is shop tools. charging freight was just stupid

Seems like a fairly common tool. If they are a Yamaha service centre, don't you think that implies they have the specialty tools required to work on Yamaha products? It's a small fraction of the bill, but the onus should be on them to either buy the tool or absorb the cost of freight. Nickle and diming customers is a ****** business model most of the time.

Easiest thing in the world to build I built one at home in very little time. I put the pins on the jaws of a crescent wrench for adjustability so it'll fit all kinds of stuff from grinders to trim cyls. Cut the pins from the shaft of an old screwdriver, drill two holes the right diameter in your crescent wrench jaws, put the pins in and tack the back sides.

Back