Do Any Of You Smart-Asses Know How To Calculate BTUs?

Rain City

Crew Member
My forge has three burners:

3/4"x8" Steel nipple with 3/4"x1-1/2" reducer. The orifice? (I think that's what it's called) is a 0.023 mig tip. Say I run it at 10 PSI what is my BTUs per burner?

Thanks in advance.

At WOT that could be true? The thing looks like its three tiger torches blowing full out all at once :eek:

https://sciencing.com/convert-liquid-propane-gas-8570240.html

Multiply the metric measure of liquid by the conversion ratio for propane. Since propane has a conversion ratio of 1:270, one unit of liquid propane yields 270 units of vaporous propane: 113.7 * 270 = 30,699.

Divide the uncompressed measure of propane by 1,000. This yields the number of cubic meters that the given amount of propane fills: 30,699 / 1000 = 30.7 rounded up, so your propane fills 30.7 cubic meters.

Convert from meters back into feet: 1 meter = 3.28 feet, but you're dealing with cubic feet. So, multiply your metric volume measure by 3.28^3: 30.7 * 3.28 * 3.28 * 3.28 = 1,083.32. Hence, 30 gallons of propane fills 1,083.32 cubic feet.

"Multiply the metric measure of liquid by the conversion ratio for propane. Since propane has a conversion ratio of 1:270, one unit of liquid propane yields 270 units of vaporous propane: 113.7 * 270 = 30,699."
Still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something. A tiger torch has a rating of 500 000 BTUs. BBQs can be 50 000 easily. This thing does 10 times or more what a BBQ puts out. Thanks for the help by the way.

Just do it the first way lol

Otherwise you have determine the gas flow rate, Then covert that flow rate into a Liquid flow rate, then convert that in to KG per hour, then convert that into BTU's lol

ITs to complicated for me because the density of the gas changes as its compressed to 10 psi, That 1/270 assumes the gas is not compressed, what is the ratio when its compressed?

Last edited:
Just do it the first way lol

Otherwise you have determine the gas flow rate, Then covert that flow rate into a Liquid flow rate, then convert that in to KG per hour, then convert that into BTU's lol
I'll just stick to my "one check mark on the side of the frame per half hour of use" system lol.

ad402s2.jpg

Back