Disappointed in the giveaway of our halibut

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/Disappointed+giveaway+halibut/1336047/story.html

Disappointed in the giveaway of our halibut

Comox Valley EchoFebruary 27, 2009

A letter to The Honorable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans:

In December 2008, I wrote to congratulate you, on behalf of our 2000 members, on your appointment to the Federal Cabinet. We had great hope that you would recognize the unfairness of the gifting of 88% of the Canadian West Coast halibut TAC to 435 commercial fishermen, leaving a mere 12% of the TAC for 300,000 recreational fishers from the rest of Canada.

To say that we are disappointed that you have seen fit to ignore the obvious unfairness of that giveaway is a complete understatement. We are in fact astounded and angry that you would not even consider the compromise solutions presented by the BC Wildlife Federation and the Sports Fish Advisory Board.

How can a Minister that claims to be serious about creating wealth and jobs for Canadians possibly make such a decision? You ARE aware that the landed value of a recreationally caught halibut is worth far more than the $7/lb wholesale value for a commercially caught halibut. You ARE aware that thousands of jobs in BC depend on the marine recreational fishery. You ARE aware that there are several Court Judgments that most certainly indicate your decision is ill advised and most probably illegal. How can a politician that swore to serve all the people of Canada ignore the above?

Yes Minister, we are angry. We expected better from you and your Department. We urge that you reverse this unfair decision and sit down with our volunteers in the SFAB , SFI and BCWF to come up with a FAIR solution to this issue of fairness and common sense.

Keith MacKenzie

President

Courtenay and District Fish and Game Protective Association

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Its a start-- but to move the dinos in Ottawa, it will require many more letter from us.

Sent mine-- how about you??? [?]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Mine was sent.
GLG

Back