DFO Wants your input before Making Rec. Halibut Quotas Permanent!!!

Whole in the Water

For all of you out there who are against this retarded and corrupt 'recreational experimental halibut quota' becoming permanent law please reply to Mr. Neil Davis at DFO to let them know we think this idea is wrong in the exterme!!!:mad:

Check out the DFO link to the public input request until Dec. 21/12 so please send an email ASAP!!!
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/fisheries-peche/ground-fond/hal-fle/index-eng.htm

Here are the email addresses to send your emails to:

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
randy.kamp@parl.gc.ca
mailto:info@dfo-mpo.gc.ca DFO MInister Keith Ashfield

Also-- make sure you send a copy to Harper, A/Minister Gail Shea, MP Randy Kamp and your local MP

"Email sent but lets be honest. They don't care about our input"

Don't be afraid to put that in your e-mail or letter.

Mr. Davis

I am writing to express my opinion on the Halibut Experimental Fishery Program.

I am strongly against this program in all aspects.

Beyond the obvious issues with the current "ownership" of our public resource and the wrongful and unjust halibut allocation between Commercial and Recreational Fisheries...

This Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery has no support from me or anyone in the Recreational Fishery.

All of the public information that I have read on this subject shows that there is little to no support for this program and DFO is just not listening to the responses given by the Canadian Tax payers and Recreational Fishermen.

This program to this date and going forward is a complete waste of tax dollars and a ridiculously unjust idea.

The dollars spent on this program should be spent on real fisheries issues and enhancement which DFO seems to have completely lost interest in.

The Canadian Recreational Fishery is a Canadian resource and Canadian Heritage not just a business.

DFO and Canadian Government has completely lost touch with this and is not fulfilling it's duty to Canadians.

I hope to see this program scrapped right away before any more time and money is wasted.

Dear Doug,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the Halibut Quota Transfer Program. The government recognizes the social, economic and cultural importance of the recreational fishery, which is why in February of this year the Minister demonstrated the government’s commitment to provide greater long-term certainty in the Pacific halibut fishery by instructing the Department to make an immediate, one-time correction in the allocation formula. Under the new formula, 85% of the resource is allocated to the commercial sector and 15% to the recreational sector (after accounting for First Nations Food, Social and Ceremonial Fisheries). This decision was made after a thorough review process conducted by myself involving First Nations, the commercial sector and the recreational community, and the Province of British Columbia.

The Department has since put forward a proposed regulatory amendment, based on the halibut quota transfer program introduced in 2011, to make permanent the process which allowed recreational harvesters to lease Pacific halibut quota from commercial harvesters based on market value. Fisheries and Oceans Canada is currently receiving feedback on this regulatory proposal.

The new quota transfer mechanism will allow for a longer season and more security for those fishers wishing to participate in the program. I understand that you have concerns about this direction and I would like to thank you for sharing them. I’ve taken the liberty of forwarding your correspondence to the Department to ensure they are aware of your views. All feedback received on the proposed regulatory change is being carefully considered.

Regards,

Randy Kamp, MP

Pitt Meadows--Maple Ridge--Mission
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans

--------------------------------------
T:613-947-4613 | F:613-947-4615

From: HooktenderSportfishing [mailto:hooktendersportfishing@gmail.com]
Sent: December 16, 2012 3:54 PM
To: Kamp, Randy - M.P.
Subject: halibut quota

Trips »

Last edited by a moderator:
Above is the relpy to one of my many letters to various people sharing my view on how much a waste of time and money the experimental halibut quota lease program is. I hope it was not a waste of my time. Easy to see how the quota owners want rec guys to buy it to catch their unsed quota when the prices go down.

Letter sent. A number of our members also sent similar letters. Bottom line is this program has been a failure, and no amount of effort to prop it up by either DFO or the Commercial Halibut slipper skipper coalition will revive interest. I think we all know when we smell a rat. Thanks all who sent letters.

0clip_image002.png

West Coast Fishing Guides Association
P.O. Box 20054
Port Alberni
V9Y 8J8

December 21, 2012

Re: Experimental Halibut License

Neil Davis, DFO
Delivered via e-mail

Dear Neil,

I’m writing to you in my capacity as the President of the West Coast Fishing Guides Association. We are the largest organized Guide Association in B.C. with over 80 active members.

Our Association is opposed to the experiemental halibut license program, and we see it as a complete failure. The fact that only 220 pounds of quota was transferred using this process is testiment to that. We find it interesting that most of the individuals who applied for experimental licenses did not renew their intentions to purchase quota. We take that to mean this program simply did not work, or that it also verifies our suspicions that commercial license holders simply purchased quota in an attempt to give appearances the program actually worked.

Our members see this as a wasteful use of time and precious resources. In future, we will continue to advocate both to members and others not to support individual purchase of any quota via this means.

Please scrap this program.

Sincerely,

Letter sent. A number of our members also sent similar letters. Bottom line is this program has been a failure, and no amount of effort to prop it up by either DFO or the Commercial Halibut slipper skipper coalition will revive interest. I think we all know when we smell a rat. Thanks all who sent letters.

0clip_image002.png

West Coast Fishing Guides Association
P.O. Box 20054
Port Alberni
V9Y 8J8

December 21, 2012

Re: Experimental Halibut License

Neil Davis, DFO
Delivered via e-mail

Dear Neil,

I’m writing to you in my capacity as the President of the West Coast Fishing Guides Association. We are the largest organized Guide Association in B.C. with over 80 active members.

Our Association is opposed to the experiemental halibut license program, and we see it as a complete failure. The fact that only 220 pounds of quota was transferred using this process is testiment to that. We find it interesting that most of the individuals who applied for experimental licenses did not renew their intentions to purchase quota. We take that to mean this program simply did not work, or that it also verifies our suspicions that commercial license holders simply purchased quota in an attempt to give appearances the program actually worked.

Our members see this as a wasteful use of time and precious resources. In future, we will continue to advocate both to members and others not to support individual purchase of any quota via this means.

Please scrap this program.

Sincerely,

You are the president of the WCFGA?

Lorne

same responce word for word, they are going ahead with it anyways as i see it

Dear Doug,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the Halibut Quota Transfer Program. The government recognizes the social, economic and cultural importance of the recreational fishery, which is why in February of this year the Minister demonstrated the government’s commitment to provide greater long-term certainty in the Pacific halibut fishery by instructing the Department to make an immediate, one-time correction in the allocation formula. Under the new formula, 85% of the resource is allocated to the commercial sector and 15% to the recreational sector (after accounting for First Nations Food, Social and Ceremonial Fisheries). This decision was made after a thorough review process conducted by myself involving First Nations, the commercial sector and the recreational community, and the Province of British Columbia.

The Department has since put forward a proposed regulatory amendment, based on the halibut quota transfer program introduced in 2011, to make permanent the process which allowed recreational harvesters to lease Pacific halibut quota from commercial harvesters based on market value. Fisheries and Oceans Canada is currently receiving feedback on this regulatory proposal.

The new quota transfer mechanism will allow for a longer season and more security for those fishers wishing to participate in the program. I understand that you have concerns about this direction and I would like to thank you for sharing them. I’ve taken the liberty of forwarding your correspondence to the Department to ensure they are aware of your views. All feedback received on the proposed regulatory change is being carefully considered.

Regards,

Randy Kamp, MP

Pitt Meadows--Maple Ridge--Mission
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans

--------------------------------------
T:613-947-4613 | F:613-947-4615

From: HooktenderSportfishing [mailto:hooktendersportfishing@gmail.com]
Sent: December 16, 2012 3:54 PM
To: Kamp, Randy - M.P.
Subject: halibut quota

Trips »

Gee! I got the same letter from" Randy" you guys did. I can't tell you how hurt I was when I realized it was one of those nasty computor generated form letters.!! Oh "Randy" where is the personal touch? Maybe he at least filed it in file 13 himself? Did anyone read it-hopefully they keep better track of the NO side than DFO does of our supposed Halibut catch? Just sayin!! LOL

Just got my official response from DFO acknowledging receipt of my letter. Guess we now sit and wait for the pronouncement that the program was a complete success...sure hope not, but the sceptic in me wants to say this whole thing is a foregone conclusion with the slipper skippers controlling DFO.

Got what I can assume is the standard PDF response everyone else is getting from Niel Davis today.

For what it is worth I was interested in the part I highlighted.

Dear Mr. Raymond Haines,
Thank you for your input on the halibut recreational quota transfer licence Regulatory Impact
Analysis Statement (RIAS). DFO received numerous submissions from a variety of interests and
is now in the process of reviewing the submissions.
DFO will work on revising the RIAS based on the input received during the review period before
submitting the regulatory proposal to Legislative and Regulatory Affairs, the branch of the federal
government that formally prepares regulatory proposals for Ministerial approval.

Please also note that there is further opportunity for review and input once formal preparation of
the regulatory proposal is completed, which may take up to one to two years. DFO will work with
all interested parties to ensure advance notice of this review opportunity.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide your input.
Sincerely,

Pretty much the standard response. It simply looks to me to be a "process" DFO has to go through to prove they "consulted" prior to the pronouncement. Ray has highlighted what they are telegraphing will happen. Not saying we shouldn't fight the good fight, simply stating it is frustrating to get a letter that basically says we are preparing legislation to go forward no matter what you guys do. So am I frustrated...you bet. Surprised, not really. We just have to re-group and take another approach.

You read it the same as I did Pat. :( I agree we should continue to speak against it and educate those who may not understand or even care until they see the black and white of what it means.

Even if you do not give a rats butt about Halibut or fishing for that matter,most people are concerned and disgusted by the idea of what they are pushing through.once
it has been explained to them.

Got the same letter as Ray today.
Not much in the letter as it seems to be a done deal to go to the politicians.
Best bet is the elected officials will flag it and file in the circular filling cabinet.
Still think we need to hammer all parties till we get what was taken away from us.
One way or another we will win this fight or a least get them thinking on how to get elected next time around.
GLG

Back