DFO targets salmon poachers on the Fraser

Rockfish

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/23/bc-salmon-poaching-fraser-river.html

So just a PR exercise or has DFO finally decided to take on in a serious way the organized crime elements that have been running these large scale multi-million dollar underground commercial fisheries on the Fraser for decades. It will take some very brave, well armed DFO enforcement officers to go down to the river at night and put a stop to it and then deal with a court system that can’t get their head around the salmon being more important than politics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it appears that every sector has its good bad and ugly. Hopefully DFO will do their job. Not holding my breath. Bad enough $700,000 of our tax dollars were used to catch the 270,000 (and disguard 1,000,000 + pinks dead) pieces of sockeye that were supposed to be used to feed the natives

"There's a real pent-up demand for these fish and the market price on the black market is very high."

Thought it was for "food fish" and "ceremonial" yep goes to prove 27 people being investigated and I bet you its triple that if not more ... what a joke....remember the "Collapse" where do you think they really went!!!!!!!on trucks on the black market!!!!
they will get off because they are FN just watch .....

In 2005, the Cheam Band Chief said they would continue to fish 'as needed' defying the DFO closure at the time.

Today, they have even more reason to do so now that many other bands have won the right to 'manage' their own fisheries, which includes selling fish without a commercial licence. The Supreme Court started this and now they will eventually have to deal with it again once the owners of the boats that were seized get their lawyers involved.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Sockeye+salmon+poaching+rampant+Fraser+claims/8827283/story.html

Here is another news story. I find some of the defensive comments in the comments section rather interesting. Apparently anglers are taking huge amounts of Sockeye in the ocean and river so that justifies what has been going on in the river with the commercial nets. News to me, I thought we are under a complete closure. The anglers where I fish are not targeting Sockeye at all, have not had any Sockeye opening all season and where we have caught one incidentally must release it. I also noted the some including Mr Crey are saying that Pinks are not available for food for many first nations and cannot bring relief. I find that confusing, they seem to have no trouble shipping Sockeye for sale, why not Pinks for food and I support the Feds paying for it.

I also wonder if DFO's plan is limited to running around confiscating some of the nets to try and reduce the damage a little and that will be the end of it; no charges etc. It is difficult to fault first nations really. As I understand it, short term thinking, next quarter profits, rape and pillage resource extraction and short term profit motivations with no thought of the future or the damage done are mainstays of our culture; not historically theirs. I believe we call it good business. Perhaps if our culture were learning the best of their historical cultural values we would all be better off. Unfortunately it seems they have learned from us and it appears they are good students.

Fish4All, I will agree with you there are bad actors in all three sectors. However there is a basic difference related to scale. There are no large scale underground commercial netting operations going on it the sport sector. Rarely someone may forget to pinch a barb or deliberately or more likely accidently because of ignorance keep a fish they should not. It should not happen at all, but when it does it is one fish; not thousands, tens or hundreds of thousands of fish.

As for Commercial fishing fish 4 all, your area of protective interest, you know as well as I do that just one bad skipper on one of the incredibly efficient killing machine big commercial boats can do more damage in hours than the entire sport fleet can do coast wide in an entire season if we had ten times more bad actors than we actually do. As some of the recent videos of commercial fishing atrocities are showing, it would seem to be happening far too frequently and is devastating for species of concern.

It is not the sport sector that has a lot of cleaning up of their act to do. As a sector we have had the least impact on the resource while contributing the most to the economy for the small amount we take (15% halibut for example while 85% goes to the commercial sector most of which is exported. First nations get their halibut of the top.) and give back the most to the resource through fund raising and volunteer labour in terms of contributing to habitat restoration and fish enhancement. No this was not intended as yet another opportunity for commercial lobbyist to push how well monitored they are etc. Perhaps you spend your spare time fund raising and getting cold and wet pulling old tires and rusty shopping carts out of creeks and restoring them and feeding fish and clipping them at hatcheries. I would be impressed if you do.

One other point, I understand the need for test fisheries as part of fisheries management but it has been frustrating for South VI anglers to watch the commercial boats that have been running around JDF filling up on Sockeye in the test fishery and knowing that these boats are likely taking more in these tests than anglers would have had we been allowed a Sockeye opening all season. However I do fully support the total season long sport closure given the very poor return numbers. Lets face it commercial boat owners love these tests fisheries because as I understand it they get to keep the Sockeye and make a lot of money; that needs to change. In times of such low Sockeye numbers DFO should pay them to test fish and then the Sockeye should be given to Fraser First Nations provided they actually end up being eaten and not sold.

Green Machine – It does seem to me the courts are creating a real mess. I suspect some salmon species or at least some runs will not survive it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told by DFO last year in Port Renfrew that the test fisheries must give Sockeye to the FN. Every member of every FN family in PR gets Sockeye. The trucks drive around and dump the fish in their yards. Many just rot and some are sold at the ramps.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Sockeye+salmon+poaching+rampant+Fraser+claims/8827283/story.html

One other point, I understand the need for test fisheries as part of fisheries management but it has been frustrating for South VI anglers to watch the commercial boats that have been running around JDF filling up on Sockeye in the test fishery and knowing that these boats are likely taking more in these tests than anglers would have had we been allowed a Sockeye opening all season. However I do fully support the total season long sport closure given the very poor return numbers. Lets face it commercial boat owners love these tests fisheries because as I understand it they get to keep the Sockeye and make a lot of money; that needs to change. In times of such low Sockeye numbers DFO should pay them to test fish and then the Sockeye should be given to Fraser First Nations provided they actually end up being eaten and not sold.

The test fisheries are only taking small samples of the sockeye they catch and the rest are released. This has been the process for several weeks now since they determined the returns were going to be lower than forecast.

For example yesterday the Area 12 seine test fishery caught 2,175 sockeye and kept only 115 for genetic sampling. The rest were released unharmed and there is a DFO observer on those boats.

The test fisheries are only taking small samples of the sockeye they catch and the rest are released. This has been the process for several weeks now since they determined the returns were going to be lower than forecast.

For example yesterday the Area 12 seine test fishery caught 2,175 sockeye and kept only 115 for genetic sampling. The rest were released unharmed and there is a DFO observer on those boats.

I agree. In addition, test fishers are required to fish whether there are lots of fish in the water or if there are very little. If there is not enough money for these test fishers then who is the PSC going to find to do these test fisheries? Not only is there a great benefit to all stakeholders that we have test fisheries (i.e. no test fisheries would negatively impact recreational and First Nation fishing opportunities), but there is also benefits in having consistency in crews doing this for reliable data.

I read that 9 boats and 60 nets were removed from the water.
If charges don't go through, I still see 9 boats and 60 nets removed from the water.

How can this not be good?

I would like to know if the media will do a story on how it is that the sector that points a finger everywhere to pin blame for salmon runs decline on the Fraser are actually the biggest poachers. It needs to be done...nothing like being publicly embarrassed and a good ole dose of reality check to smarten one up.

Fraser river 001.jpgThrow something into this thread. The DFO crack down on the upper Fraser is for real. My bro was camped on the upper Fraser bar fishing on the last day of it being open,the closure was announced that same day to be implemented at midnight. They were up until the wee hrs enjoying some beveridges and saw persons drift netting past them in the dark.About two hrs later the DFO and RCMP showed up with search lights looking for the poachers. The next morning they saw two boats seized by DFO under the aggasiz bridge. Now a week or so later, the crack down is getting some publicity. Boooyuo!!! Believe it people,this is for real. And about fricken time. Oh by the way the pic is a nookie caught just before the closure. Crying shame how they punt the bar riggers off the river when we all know who the real culprits are...

Another good news story. Good to see the FN in Port Alberni on board. Also good to see the media reports.
The media needs to show that there is inforcement out there and that there are consiquences.

I've said many times the FN are a big part of the problem but could be a huge part of the solution. This kind of report builds my respect and hopefully the public support. If FN can show respect and concerns for our rivers and conservation they could be part of the management solution.

Tips

Back