DFO Shuts down herrig central coast

Hmm, concerned with conservation.... But taking hundreds of Ton & selling commercial through the band.....

Talk about an oxymoron

Sounds like FN up your way have been taking lessons from the tribes over here in Washington state.

Yup, could have ramifications going forward for sure. Fisheries mgmt is not easy and the mess DFO finds itself in is not conducive to sound decision making IMO. The rational voices in the room are often drown out by the few loudmouths in the Rec, Comm, FN fisheries and it leads to decisions that don't have conservation first and foremost. I don't see a quick fix to this either. One thing I will add re: the commercial herring fishery in general is that these herring populations are not well understood at the local level and often lumped in as simply 'herring biomass'. Like other fish species, herring populations are unique and diverse to some extent to I believe past fisheries measures have led to the loss of many 'localized' populations. I recently spoke with a commercial fisherman who has been fishing for decades as even he said that we need to lay off the herring fishery in the Strait. Even if SOG populations seem somewhat healthy the numbers are still too low and IF we didn't fish the SOG herring as hard it would lead to expanding populations elsewhere on the south coast (WCVI, Northern Inside Passage, etc).

Sad times. They have increased their spawn on kelp quotas and said they will harvest above that as well. This is not about conservation and the local knowledge died decades ago. This is just another mess created by our hopeless PM. Next out of the area will be recreational.

I have refrained from commenting on this subject but the battle between commercial fishermen and the Bella Bella First Nations has been going on for a long time. RCMP have been scared of whats been taking place up their and scared they might have to intervene.

RCMP probably twisted DFO management arm to side with the natives.

It is what it is

1265 short tonnes from spawn on kelp, wow that's a great way to bring the fishery back. Simple science to protect key spawning areas.....maybe even enhance them like the small projects in Burrard Inlet and Howe Sound.....then there might be enough for all in a number of years.

Back