DFO rules on shellfish bait

• "Only fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine may be used as bait. No other finfish may be used as bait. "
If indeed only the gut pile is considered offal, then that would let out heads etc. However offal also would include, the brains, gills,and eyeballs. I would think that if you clean your fish and leave the gut etc attached to the head you would be within the spirit of the law, if not within the letter.

• "Only fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine may be used as bait. No other finfish may be used as bait. "
If indeed only the gut pile is considered offal, then that would let out heads etc. However offal also would include, the brains, gills,and eyeballs. I would think that if you clean your fish and leave the gut etc attached to the head you would be within the spirit of the law, if not within the letter.

No change in regulations, Offal means anything left over after butchering, so you can’t just thrown in a whole Salmon
Or any other game fish without harvesting the useful flesh from it first. Unlike bait fish mentioned above, can be used whole.

No change in regulations, Offal means anything left over after butchering, so you can’t just thrown in a whole Salmon
Or any other game fish without harvesting the useful flesh from it first. Unlike bait fish mentioned above, can be used whole.
As tidal shot mentioned, there is no change in the regulations. This just prevents the use of freezer burned unused and shamefully wasted salmon from been discarded as crab bait

As tidal shot mentioned, there is no change in the regulations. This just prevents the use of freezer burned unused and shamefully wasted salmon from been discarded as crab bait

So better that freezer burn fish goes to the landfill and we buy some commercially caught herring? There was a change at some point. When was the regulation introduced? Offal definitely does not include bone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offal

"includes most internal organs excluding muscle and bone."

Can't even use invasive carp or perch from the lake. Seems like possibly a well intentioned law gone horribly wrong when written.

That is how I read and interpret it also. Salmon and Halibut heads and frames, or chicken backs should be OK. The wording could be cleaned up a little. The only fin fish you can put in whole with the edible portion still attached are the ones listed and you cannot put in the edible portions of other fin fish. I know prawn and shrimp heads get used a lot for crab bait. With all the shoes that seem to float up on the shore with bones in them, one wonders what some use for bait.

Last edited:
So better that freezer burn fish goes to the landfill and we buy some commercially caught herring? There was a change at some point. When was the regulation introduced? Offal definitely does not include bone.

Can't even use invasive carp or perch from the lake. Seems like possibly a well intentioned law gone horribly wrong when written.

This is not something that anyone should waste any time thinking about, use what every you want for bait.

This is in their for people who are just down right stupid and put a full yellow eye in a trap ect.. into a trap or abuse it.

It’s just a tool in the tool box for DFO for the individuals that decide to go full retard.

This is not something that anyone should waste any time thinking about, use what every you want for bait.

This is in their for people who are just down right stupid and put a full yellow eye in a trap ect.. into a trap or abuse it.

It’s just a tool in the tool box for DFO for the individuals that decide to go full retard.
Never go full retard

That is how I read and interpret it also. Salmon and Halibut heads and frames, or chicken backs should be OK. The wording could be cleaned up a little. The only fin fish you can put in whole with the edible portion still attached are the ones listed and you cannot put in the edible portions of other fin fish. I know prawn and shrimp heads get used a lot for crab bait. With all the shoes that seem to float up on the shore with bones in them, one wonders what some use for bait.
The shoes are from thieves I catch stealing my traps lol!

DAMN best bait is a whole deer head they get it all cleaned up better then you can imagine..... I can only imagine the look on someone who has pulled my trap up LOL
That would work better and faster than beetles! Damn I wish I thought of that!

We use a shot up duck works great,just a zap strap around the neck good to go. I w
Once took my 5 year old niece out ( she is a city folk) so pulled the trap that was set before she came out so when the trap was in the boat she got all excited says uncle we caught a duck

Look after your catch, preserve it properly, whether by vacuum packing, canning or smoking and you shouldn't really have freezer burned fish. Salmon is too valuable a resource to be tossed in a crab trap as bait. Let leftovers of a filleted salmon classify as offal under DFO terms.

Just think of the reality of this rule...
A whole bunch of Ottawa Lawyers worked on this rule for months and got paid HUGE $ to come up with the nonsense.

You need enforcement to actually worry about this rule. So many bigger issues for the Officers to be dealing with!

You need enforcement to actually worry about this rule. So many bigger issues for the Officers to be dealing with!

What all 4 of them between steveston to chilliwack?? and the mission office is getting closed down

In the 1990 DFO needed 30 officers just to manage the FN fishery/sports fishery from mission to spuzzem.

To properly manage just the sockeye fishery this year, They would need to steel officers from the interior, from the steveston office etc and they still won't have enough.

It's gonna be a no holds bar for poaching this year

Last edited:
DAMN best bait is a whole deer head they get it all cleaned up better then you can imagine..... I can only imagine the look on someone who has pulled my trap up LOL
does this work better than beetles or macineration? i gotta goat head in the freezer, was going with mancineratin but........this sounds like good idea

'
" gotta goat head in the freezer, was going with mancineratin but........this sounds like good idea"

Your forum names starting to make sense now. Bones. Lol

Back