Decision Day?

There was a write up in the Times Colonist today in which dfo said an announcement would be out in the next few days,whatever thats supposed to mean.

Statement by Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans - Pacific Halibut February 15, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA, ONTARIO – The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, today issued the following statement:

Our Government understands the value and significance of the Pacific halibut fishery to British Columbians. The current sharing formula, which allocates 88% of the harvest to commercial fishermen and 12% to recreational harvesters, has been in place since 2003. Since then there have been a number of attempts by representatives of each sector to develop an acceptable way to transfer allocation between them.

The most recent round of discussions took place throughout 2010. I’m disappointed to report that those discussions have reached an impasse and stakeholders have been unable to reach a consensus, Because of this, a ministerial decision is required to move forward for the 2011 season.

As Canada’s Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, I have been entrusted with managing our precious marine resources responsibly and sustainably. This responsibility includes ensuring that we meet our various international obligations with regards to conservation. All fish management decisions are made to meet the following three priorities: conservation, sustainability of the fishery and economic viability. It is with these in mind that I announce the following:

The 2011 Pacific halibut recreational fishing season will open March 1st. Recreational anglers with a tidal license will be able to catch one halibut per day with two in possession.

Our Government recognizes the value of the recreational fishery to British Columbians and the economic opportunities it provides. Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters. This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes.

As for the future, clearly it is in the best interests of all sectors to come to a long-term solution that recognizes the important contribution each makes to British Columbia. To achieve this, I have asked my Parliamentary Secretary, Randy Kamp, Member of Parliament from Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission, to work with my officials to develop options for my consideration prior to the start of the 2012 season. These options will need to meet the following objectives:

•Conservation of the resource through enhanced monitoring of the recreational fishery, thereby keeping all halibut fisheries accountable for maintaining catches within the total allowable catch.

•Economic prosperity through predictable access for all users.

•Flexibility through an effective mechanism for transfers between the sectors.
I have long held the belief that those who participate in and depend on a fishery to make their living need to be able to provide input into how that fishery is managed. Ideally, that happens in a collaborative and constructive manner. Many stakeholders from both sectors have clearly articulated their current positions, but I encourage continued dialogue about new approaches between interested parties and my officials. The sooner a permanent solution is found, the sooner British Columbians can put uncertainty behind them and look forward to a viable future for this fishery.

- 30 -

For more information:

Frank Stanek
Media Relations
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
613-990-7537
Nancy Bishay

Time to step it up.

Does anyone else find this unacceptable or is it just me. It still does not address the issue just puts it off for a year. It also does not give any guarantee that we will not have an early closure to the fishery. I will be drafting my response to Ms. Shea once I take a deep breath, count to 10, and say the obscenity prayer (oops I mean serenity prayer).
H.E.H.

Not a big surprise,in no way should we lease quota from the commies to further privatize the resource.This is absolute crap.She also doesnt mention when the halibut fishing season will run till.

My email to Ms Shea, Mr Duncan, and Mr Harper...I will also be paying her a visit in her Parliamentary office next week (my reading week so no exams to have to worry about, and will give me time to cool down).

Dearest Members of Parliament,

Your decision today regarding halibut allocation is absolutely ridiculous. Charter operators take CANADIANS to the fish, 80% of our clientelle is Canadian yet 75% of fish caught by the commercial sector is exported to the United States...yet the rich Commercial fishermen get to continue this while charter operators who struggle to make ends meat and pay for their mortgage have to spend thousands of dollars to obtain halibut from these wealthy slipper skippers.

I, AS WELL AS MY FAMILY AND MANY OTHERS I KNOW, AM RIPPING UP MY CONSERVATIVE MEMBERSHIP CARD, AND WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO ENSURE THAT MR. JOHN DUNCAN IS NOT RE-ELECTED IN THE RIDING OF VANCOUVER ISLAND - NORTH. My father and I have contributed thousands of dollars to the Conservative Party of Canada and this will also stop immediately.

It is a disgrace that you try and claim you are representing the best interests of all Canadians when you make a decision like this. You should be ashamed.

David Summers III
Serengeti Fishing Charters
www.serengetifishingcharters.com
1-888-281-2275

The price of charters for halibut will now be going through the roof as only the rich will
be able to pay the extra price for a halibut. It is also really going to hit the small operators hard. Way to go DFO...............

There is only one effective means to deal with this farce and that is to vote
Conservatives out next federal election.
Hopefully another political party will listen to the concerns we have over
this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally unacceptable. I hope they dearly pay for their ignorance but then again I thought the same before the last election...

My note just sent to Mr. Duncan

re: Todays halibut announcement

Mr. Duncan, it's clear not only that your party doesn't care about the citizens of our Island, but that they don't care about you either!!

Can you in any possible way imagine winning that seat in the next election Mr. Duncan? I suppose you must not care because you're done.

A riding that you barely had, with so many sportfishermen and people employed by sportfishing.

You remind me of a woman named Kim Campbell in the early 90's - doomed.

I do thank you for taking the opportunity to demonstrate how corrupt and fraudulent our political system has become.

Power to the people.

Jeff Nish

P.S. - I don't live in your riding but plan on moving there temporarily just so I can vote against you in the next election.

Not surprised by this. I am disappointed though.
Was hoping that the dumb B#*ch would do something that made sense.
As you all know I am dead against paying for quota! I am also dead against the current system. I would like to know however,in the theme of having to pay private quota holders money to fish. Has anyone asked if that means we the sporty can sell our 1 fish for the day to our buddy who has already caught his? I mean not the fish it self but my limit for the day as I will not be fishing that day. hmmmmmmmmmm????? big can of worms.
I do not like that at all!!!!!.I hope NO ONE jumps on to the special license offer as that will seal the deal if anyone dose.
Anyway my letters will be written AGAIN and sent to the dumb asses in charge.
Cheers: Ray

Back