custom aluminum build - input needed

NDT

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on building a boat similar to this with a friend of mine.
Thoughts on what you'd change or ideas to make it more functional??? Likes/dislikes?
26.5' overall length, 102" wide, Alaskan bulkhead.
34" freeboard - would 36" or 38" be better? Or 34" with a 3-4" partial rail on the dance floor?
Closed bow or open self bailing bow?? Do you used the open self bailing to store pots or jig from?
400L tank should be good given the twin 150ho etec's that will be bolted to her.
I think I'll be going with an aluminum self bailing deck as well.
Will be used for inshore day trip fishing, but will venture out as I get more adventurous. (Kitimat, Rupert, north west Vancouver island)
Any input would be much appreciated as this will have to last me a long time!

image.jpeg

If it's feasible I'd look at pushing the beam out a bit to 9 or 9.5'. 34 inch sides will leave you wanting more, especially with a higher self bailing deck. My boat has 35 and I'd prefer another inch or two. Personally I don't really like low freeboard boats that make up for it with railings. A railing might keep you in but it won't keep water out.

I would avoid the open bow. I don't even understand why they build boats this way. The utility of that space is pretty limited, but it is a major liability. I'd say a covered bow provides a safer boat and a great dry storage area.

Sliding bulkhead door, wish my boat had that!

Back