craigslist electric downriggers

I have bought them off of public sites like craigslist with no issues , i'm going to guess most criminals usually have them sold before they Rip em off , I don't think they're stupid enough to actually post it publicly
, so don't be detoured by buying things from craigslist , I think this is been hit way too hard lately , My transactions were smooth , When you meet the seller it would be quite obvious ,

Lets move on , buyer use some common sense
Fd

What's obvious about buying stolen merchandise?

How about the guys who were busted 2 years ago with 6 downriggers an outboard and rods and reels, Islanders etc right at the mouth of False Creek? If it weren't for one alert guy who happened to be awake at 6 am and actually saw something suspicious they would have gotten away. Similarly a local guide had his boat ripped off 3 years ago and another guide I know had his rods and reels jacked right from his cuddy.

When you buy off Craigslist beware....that's prudent. Similarly one guy who had Islanders for sale in Coquitlam.... almost all the time....some with lodge engravings....things that make you go hmmmmmm....

Make the deal at the local cop shop. Honest sellers should not have a problem doing that. Police stations are considered safe transaction zones.

What's obvious about buying stolen merchandise?

How about the guys who were busted 2 years ago with 6 downriggers an outboard and rods and reels, Islanders etc right at the mouth of False Creek? If it weren't for one alert guy who happened to be awake at 6 am and actually saw something suspicious they would have gotten away. Similarly a local guide had his boat ripped off 3 years ago and another guide I know had his rods and reels jacked right from his cuddy.

When you buy off Craigslist beware....that's prudent. Similarly one guy who had Islanders for sale in Coquitlam.... almost all the time....some with lodge engravings....things that make you go hmmmmmm....

HF, still goin off , yes thers stolen **** out there !! if ya look for it , you will find it

unlike you , i trust most people , especially the ones that give me there address , invite me into there homes , talk fishin ,
have a beer , yada yada , if your meetin guys in alleys or on skytrains , parking lots to look at stuff , yeah , prob a shady deal ,
not rocket science , ive boughten things from craigs that are members right here on this site over the years lol

theres so many ways to pick out hot **** , use your head...buyer do your homework ,
ask for id perhaps pick up at a residence only , is it some young punk that needs another hit ,,,pretty obvious
, get the serial number off the item , call it in , check the history of it if , (phone Scotty , most are registered for Warranty )
blah blah blah so many ways to make sure its legit.

sorry ta say , if ya bought somthin hot , your prob ok with it , or your a dumber butt than the thief himself !!!

fd

Last edited:
when in doubt do the deal in a public place with cameras and take a picture
of the car and license plate. if the person
comes walking around the corner or
shows up on a bike this might be another
clue....all things possible though

Here's a thought, ask for a valid bill of sale and ask to see their drivers license so that you can copy down their license number onto the bill of sale. No reasonable person should refuse to do this and if they do, don't but the item(s).

Yeah, but if you're already there...and the goods check out as advertised, how many will walk away from the deal at that moment of truth? A lot of of these Scotties are over a decade old and still good. Bill of sale? Maybe on ones that are close to brand new. As a reasonable person, if anyone off of Craigs asked to take a pic of my DL to buy used goods from me, I would tell them to pound sand. I have nothing to hide, but F/O.

...Bill of sale?... As a reasonable person, if anyone off of Craigs asked to take a pic of my DL to buy used goods from me, I would tell them to pound sand. I have nothing to hide, but F/O.

Bill of sale is standard consumer protection, it may be the only thing that would CYA if they were found to be stollen.

If I was buying from you and you did that, I would walk without being told to pound sand. People are supposed to take you your word because you're 'a reasonable person'? How many of these thieves try to appear reasonable? If u ou don't want to do a bill of sale and show a licence, you are demonstrating to be neither trustworthy or reasonable IMHO, regardless of how stupid you think it is. In fact, you are showing to be acting suspect and I'd likely report it as suspected stollen goods at that point.

Try reading what I said again. If a stranger off of craigslist wants to TAKE A PICTURE OF MY DRIVER'S LICENSE, I would tell them to pound sand.

And really, it kind of depends on the nature of goods being sold for a bill of sale. Boat? Motor? Trailer? that have value, sure, bill of sale. Sometimes it is necessary ie ICBC, Transport Canada etc.

But rods, reels, even downriggers and pullers. Nah. But thats just me.

Can we please stop with this. I think we beat it to death by now. Lets get back to posting links so people looking for a downrigger can find something instead of a how to guide on buying off Craigslist. Thanks and have a good day

On this coast and especially VI why would you buy any brand other than a Scotty Rigger. My impression is that they are now checking their database to see if the SN is registered when taken in for repair or phoned in and if not will register it in your name and will service it for your lifetime. They seem to be giving everyone a break even if you cannot produce the original sales slip like one we won in a derby. If a rigger is already registered and reported stolen it could get interesting. When you buy a new rigger be sure to register it right away, all mine are.

Last edited:
Back