Craigflower/Colquitz

its a gong show out there today at Craigflower...guys have been at the trap all day, record numbers about 1550 currently, including 400 today so far. Going to walk it and check in on them later this afternoon

Boy, that's great to hear. Thanks for updating us on the count.

add another 50 to that on Craigflower as I took the evening shift (smaller this round only up to 10-12 lbs tops, no jacks)...so 1600 +- Was awesome, stopped at one of the falls part of the way up and watched dozens of them jumping their way up. Some stupid ones jumping right into a rock face, others jumping way too short. Really amazing the trek they have to take and how strong they are as the water is very high! Colquitz latest is 'over 1100'...nice haul between the two

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the family down at the metal foot bridge for a quick look this p.m. Lots of big red spawners at work in the pool, while a steady flow of fresher fish quickly filed by. Nice water level and colour. Can't wait to see more fish far upstream in the park.

Craigflower on fire

I had the family down at the metal foot bridge for a quick look this p.m. Lots of big red spawners at work in the pool, while a steady flow of fresher fish quickly filed by. Nice water level and colour. Can't wait to see more fish far upstream in the park.

Totals to date 1572 biggest return ever ( 2011 was 1374 )

553 males
802 females
217 jacks

The esquimalts anglers had been caretakers on this system since 1987 improving this stream , we take brood stock to Goldstream to put 30,000 fry back in to PRIOR LK IN CASE WE HAVE A LOW RETURN IN THE RIVER , as we have been as low as 50 returning pairs .
Plus getting CRD to give us water thru the summer months
Gary ( ESQUIMALTS ANGLERS ASSOC )

Well done to everyone who contributed to this good news scenario.

Coho continue to blow my mind.

Take care.

The new numbers for fish in Craigflower Cr is 1,792 and the fish keep coming.
Great job Esq. anglers (Bruce Gary) and thanks to the Consultant Derby for the much needed donated funds to improve the creek habitat which is increasing fish for fisherman.

Talked with the guys at the Esq. Angler yesterday and they provided the latest fish counts.

Craigflower is now at 1807 fish returning for this year.
Colquitz is now at 1575+ fish and fish are still showing up.

Great year for both of these creeks and I hope in 4 years us fisherman will benefit.

Craigflower Cr had another 2 Coho show up this past week, but also an OIL SLICK. Just what we need is another oil spill

During a check of the trap last week Bruce from the Esq. Angler could see a minor oil slick and oil backing up on the fish fence. Bruce jumped to action and started hiking up the creek to see if he could find the source. After a few hours he discovered a small oil flow coming from the creek bank side but couldn’t determine where the oil was coming from. He immediately wrote to the Ministry of Environment contact advising them of his finding and for them to take action.

luckily we have people like the guys from the Esq. Angler volunteering time and effort for free to keep the habitat in good condition so the fish have a better chance of surviving.

Last week the Colquitz count was 305 Coho and I heard Craigflower was a bit better at around 400. Way down from the past few years but so are most Coho returns this year.

Back