Craigflower/Colquitz

Slower return numbers (!) today for Craigflower. The creek has dropped about 10", but with rain coming we should get some more action.

I was at the Mall today and stopped by Colquitz trap, I could see a few fish jumping in the trap so their numbers should be going up which is good news.

Hopefully the fish just keep coming and it is a record return year for all the creeks.

Good stuff from down south and good stuff from here also. I'm attempting to link to a short vid I shot two days ago, so here goes.

I'm hoping we too get a good number of coho as well as chum back to our little creek.

Really pleased when little things like this happen..

Sorry for slight hijack but it's on topic methinks.

Take care.

Reading this thread peaked my curiosity, so I made a trip to the Colquitz fence today. Had a terrific chat with Dorothy who is most knowledgeable about all things Colquitz Creek, Cuthbert Holmes Park. Picture is Dorothy lifting a doe from the trap to the creek. With this morning's fish (5 if memory serves me well) there have been almost 300 fish through the fence to date. My thanks to all who volunteer to this worthwhile cause.

20141028_100906.jpg

Craigflower Cr is now at 850 fish returning and no fish returning for the last couple of days, even with the rain.
The creek is still very low and is only a few inches deep in most locations.

We need a lot more rain

Craigflower Cr is now at 850 fish returning and no fish returning for the last couple of days, even with the rain.
The creek is still very low and is only a few inches deep in most locations.

We need a lot more rain

Lake isn't topping yet? Monday is the next big rain - expecting 50mm by next week.

I was at the colquitz fence yesterday afternoon and there was about a 2 lber in the box jumping around
like crazy. After about 5 min i heard a noise and a small otter of some sort popped up near the fence. He
was lookin at me like i was about to take his dinner. I wonder if this happens a lot. Can any one tell me
where the fence is on the craigflower ? Its pretty cool to see these urban rivers get nice returns

The otters are a major problem and that is why we check the trap every few hours when the fish are running. The otters travel both creeks and kill fish after fish after fish. Sometime we bring a person in and get them relocated but more show up.
This year we have had minor otter issues. I've only seen them at the trap 3 times this year.

No fish for Craigflower today the creek is very low (3") at the trap and until we get a lot of rain nothing is going to move.

The trap is on private property and is not open to the public unless accompanied by a stream keeper.

I've often seen otters in Craigflower, from tidewater right up and into Mckenzie Creek, families working in a creek wide line shoulder to shoulder. Hopefully they just get too full before any damage is done. I keep looking as I ride, run past portions of the creek every day. Surprised I haven't caught any goof balls snagging fish.

Lot of rain last night and Craigflower and Colquitz both have good water flow. I checked the Craigflower trap at 8am and released 21 fish up stream and another 2 doz were released at 11. We will be checking again at 2 and 4 and I will provide a count at the end of the day.

I was also at Colquitz at 830 this morning and the trap was full with lots of fish downstream. I heard that 65 fish were released in the morning. They will be getting a lot of fish today.

Just returned from the Colquitz afternoon count;200 coho were counted,some nice slabbers & a mix of jacks...some tired arms for sure.

Good stuff!!!

Love to hear it.

Take care.

Same story for Craigflower as Colquitz

The fish started coming in at around 730am and continued coming until around 4pm then the fish stopped moving up stream.
At the end of the today 180+ fish counted, bringing the new total for Craigflower Cr to 1,030+ fish released up stream.
Most of the fish today were red and ready to spawn soon.

Gary and Bruce from the Esq. Anglers transferred 37 fish to the Goldstream Hatchery for the future.

That is great to hear 200+ fish for Colquitz. When I was there this morning the trap was full of fish and lots more downstream just waiting to get into the trap.

Good news for both creeks

...yes great news for sure;the fish were definitely showing lovely fall spawning colours...:)

Stopped at the colquitz fence on the way by this morning around 830 and indeed it was full and the water was really flowing. Nice to see some big ones finning just downstream and glad there was no otters or seals!

I have checked the spots that I usually do on Swan Creek over the last couple weeks and have yet to see a fish. Some of the enhanced spawning channels are looking great for them though.

I was just at the Colquitz fence and there was no one there and no signs of fish i assume they were there to release them already. Interested to hear the numbers from today hopefully it was as good as yesterday

...fish come in waves;it's tide,flow and turbidity.

Colquitz count as of yesterday;total 550 coho and 3 cutthroat...:)

The water today in Craigflower Cr has dropped by over a foot since Tue. and the fish are not moving up stream and probably staging in the salt water.
Today we transferred 12 red Coho up stream.
Pike lake is still 12" from overflowing so the creek in the highlands is very very low. We need more rain
Total 1,050+

Thanks to all the stream keepers for all the hard work. The future looks great.
Stosh

I stopped by on my was home this evening at the Colquitz fence and it was rammed full. Lots of fish finning below. I reckon it will be a 150-200 day tomorrow.

That said, I have yet to see a coho anywhere in Swan Creek. Anyone seen any? There are a few spots that I have consistently been able to see 6-12 spawning and this year haven't seen one.

Back