Cowichan

hemi57

Going to go throw some spoons and spinners for some trout tomorrow maybe do some fly tossing any pattern recommendations for flies?

I was catching fish on size 8 muddlers, gold body natural deer hair, with an undyed rabbit strip tail. I was getting browns on that, but a fly like that will attract attention from bows aswell. Also try basic attractor patterns, a general practitioner is hard to go wrong with. Fishing just bellow the lake, I was fishing at the spring pool and walking up stream, fishing the pools along the way.

Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
DFO had to remove 2 nets from the lower river Monday after they were tipped off that illegal fishing was occurring. Im sure this is going to stir up a hornets nest but people should know this is happening.

Without getting into the strong negative opinion I have on this... At least DFO removed them?! Thanks for sharing this, as the people who care for this river should be aware of such acts.

I was not in the greatest of moods after hearing this was happening :( There are pictures of the nets in the river that Im sure will surface at some point on here.

I would guess steelhead that net was set for
sad considering that steelhead stocks coast wide are reported to be slow really slow !!!
I dont think numbers in cowichan are showing signs for a net fishery to take place as it is really slow really Slow!

Heard rumours years ago that bails of hay where tossed from the bridge to take the nets out. Last i heard of this was years ago when the CO's went down to remove the nets.. Sad very sad !!

I hate hearing this kind of $hit! A native buddy of mine who is in the know about things that go on in the tribe told me
a couple of years ago that the people that do this are primarily going after the does for their roe. He had heard they
get upwards of $30.00 a skein for it and basically give the fish the fish away for a $1.00 a pound.
What a frickin waist!!

I hate hearing this kind of $hit! A native buddy of mine who is in the know about things that go on in the tribe told me
a couple of years ago that the people that do this are primarily going after the does for their roe. He had heard they
get upwards of $30.00 a skein for it and basically give the fish the fish away for a $1.00 a pound.
What a frickin waist!!

Perhaps your native buddy, or some other responsible environmentally conscience members of the band should do something about these wasteful acts, since white law enforcement can't.

Yeah, sad indeed. Netting has always been there but its worst when the river is low. Not so much impact with high water. Let's hope for some more rain water.

HS.

Ugh

Brutal!
Lets keep an eye out for this in the future. Was in the lower section, north arm of the cowie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 424
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 422
WOW!! Proof is in the pudding there, no wonder the return has been the ***** this year. Low water, few seals and those guys hanging around…..Sad

I was talking with some people I know and there were no steelhead in the net when it was removed

Back