Cowichan River

The Cowichan River, other than the fly fishing only zone above Skutz Falls, has been closed to fishing since Aug.1 until further notice.And if we don't get any rain here in the next few weeks it'll run dry.Better find somewhere else to wet a line
for now SS17.

Sorry for the bad news,bud.I read in here that you've been working at a fishing lodge,so obviously you couldn't have
known about how serious the drought this summer has affected the river.If we do get a substancial amount of rain here
soon,that will change things alot.Usually they open it up between Nov.1-15,and are expecting a very good return of coho
and chums,so just pray for rain and it'll be game on!

With all the rain over the last week , the river has popped up nicely.

Still no word from DFO on a Coho opening. Should we start a pool for the opening date?

Was on the river today checking out the flow.River's on the verge of blowing out and if this rain doesn't taper off soon
it surely will.Hard to believe that only a couple of weeks ago it was close to running dry.Tons of chums in there now
and also saw several coho jumping as well.My guess is it will open up Nov.8 since they almost always announce the
openings on Fridays.Whether or not it'll be fishable only time will tell.

Why can't we have one thread without being negative. If there are enough coho in the system let the river guys enjoy. Everyone in saltwater already had a great season.

If this rain doesn't take a break soon,the fish will have more than us river guys to worry about.It's at 1.75 meters now
which is totally unfishable in the lower section.If it hits 2 meters,much of the redds will get scoured out.Man I tell ya
those poor fish can't get a break From one extreme to another.Whoever says that climate change doesn't exist is
totally delusional!

Lower rivers not open til Nov 15 by printed DFO and BC regulations. Can a "announcement" supersede these regs.?

I went down to most of the usual spots today...There isn't that many fish in system yet ..... I saw maybe 4 to 5 coho in some of the pools. Chums were non existent near Sandy pool.... Normally they are stacked in there by now. Water moving fast but clarity is good..

The bay most be plugged with fish right now...

Most of the fish a saw were bright chrome.

Interesting,SV.Down lower in the canyon there's a shitload of chums.Water clarity is maybe 3 ft. visability.The main
run may be late because of the drought.More rain forecast this week so we'll see what that ends up doing.

Anyone with any info from Sandy to Vimmy? Looking to drift this week and not looking for any "surprises" on my way down.

No I am going to look at Vimmy today maybe..... It sounds like most fish are lower right now. Its been raining light so flows may have back off...Sunday was dead when I went there on Saturday...I didn't see anything major.... But I didn't drift it.

I understood the lower river, (below Marie Canyon) is closed until November 15. Is it not?

Back