Cowichan river

hemi57

How's the river looking? Is there alot of steelhead around I havent seen may fishing reports. Anyone want to go pontoon drifting the 11,12,13?

Conditions are low and clear right now.I've talked with several guys over the past couple of weeks,and it seems to be a
mixed bag.The drift boat guys seem to be doing allright from Riverbottom to Vimy,but not much down low. Every bank
guy hasn't had much good to say. Been tying up some jigs over the last couple of days,and probably gonna hit it
tommorow or Tuesday. I'll report back whatever happens.

Fished the lower river Feb.01. Water low and clear. Saw one SH lost. Saw no other Steelhead. Drift boats were working hard for a few fish.

Driftd yesterday. Beautiful day . Made more casts in 8 hours than I thought was possible. We worked every nook and cranny.
For a fish ..... It was monster effort.
Three boats ahead of us got nothing. Shore guys .... We saw one taken: sadly it won't be caught again. Native buddy harvested it:

Just a note to some of you boat guys. When the waters this low, it would be much appreciated that when you encounter someone fishing a run, politely announce your presence and maneuver your boat behind the angler if possible. Please do not drift over the only fishable water, or drop your anchor 20 yards downstream and low hole the run. You have the whole river. Most guys are GREAT!

Just a note to some of you boat guys. When the waters this low, it would be much appreciated that when you encounter someone fishing a run, politely announce your presence and maneuver your boat behind the angler if possible. Please do not drift over the only fishable water, or drop your anchor 20 yards downstream and low hole the run. You have the whole river. Most guys are GREAT!
Here we go again...

It's just a note to some anglers to keep the code of ethics most people fish with dennis. You tend to have less than compassionate views on things I've noticed.

Definately most guys are very considerate. Some times it's not possible to pass on the inside. Sometimes it's too late. Yet there's a few guys that think it's a competition. No one owns the river. It's everyone's right to be there.

Funny about bank fisherman. I've had dudes just about knock me over passing me on a trail to a hole. These days I tend to walk a bit more and am generally rewarded for it by the people I meet. Even a km on foot seems to weed out the riff-raff.

I'm a fisherman. Weather I'm on foot or on a boat , etiquette is the same. I had a boat or two drift right over a slot I was pitching to yesterday. Tons of water behind me for them to pass my boat. I was In The middle of the river for Christ sakes. I let them know my thoughts.
I have dropped anchor well below any shore anglers In A well known spot. I will typically pass most spots up completely , however there are just a spot or two that I will also get my fair time on. Walking In entails no more effort than drifting. If there is space then appreciate I will also want a few casts. If there is room, then why not.
Etiquette should be practiced by everyone.
That old saying, you've got the whole ocean or river doesn't work when the fish are stacked somewhere specifically. Lets all share.

Just drifted today and there is a log across the river again in the Vimy to town section. Same place as the one earlier this year. If your walking up the trails from the pumphouse to the river its just after the straight section when you 1st see the river. As the water drops its could be trouble. Use caution boys.

Just drifted today and there is a log across the river again in the Vimy to town section. Same place as the one earlier this year. If your walking up the trails from the pumphouse to the river its just after the straight section when you 1st see the river. As the water drops its could be trouble. Use caution boys.
Probably the same one I reported back in mid Jan.It had relocated itself downstream 500-600ft. or so but at an angle so you could get around it.After this last big rain I noticed it was gone.Sounds like it didn't get very far.Good on ya for
giving everyone a heads up,golfpro!

Took a hike up river today to check it out.As golfpro mentioned,there is a sweeper in the identical spot the last one was
right at Guinn's Pool.It's much smaller than the last, but still poses a threat to the inexperienced or unwary.A good rain
with a fair spike in the river should take care of it I think.

Sweeper still there boys. Drifted over it with no problem at the current river height. Do use caution though.

Seen it there today as well. We're supposed to get a bunch of rain over the next few days,so hopefully the flow rises
enough to wash it out of there.It's just barely hanging there and a rise of a foot or so of water should do it!

Well,that rain we got last night did the trick.That sweeper is history.On the down side,there's supposed to be another
whack of rain coming tomorrow night and it's pretty high as it is,so there'll probably be another one there to take it's
place here soon enough.LOL

Was there today.Fairly high and brown.Supposed to get another whack of rain tonite,so it'll probably be blown right out
tomorrow.The thing I hate the most about that river is it seems to take very little time to blow out and such a long time
to drop back into shape.

There is a log guarding the take out just above Skutz. Hung up on the left bank and juts out half way across. Not a take-out you'd want to miss.

Back