Cowichan River

All I found fishable was some Lake Cowichan tribs for brood Stock Coho,,,12-23-09
304.jpg

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Yes, but wasn't tubed were looking for does.

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

fished the cowichan today for the first time in my life and it took me about five minutes to fall in love with it. just took my centerpin and a backroad mapbook and found lots of nice water. does that river stay pretty silty through the winter? should i be fishing bigger gear than the stamp, leave the micro corkies at home?

Some of my best and largest steelhead come from running the smallest corkies available. Just a tad smaller than holly berries.

Yes the water stays coloured but it has been runing clearer than it has ever historically. They have spents millions of dollares in the clay bank stabilization project. I prefer the beautiful milky green it used to get during the winter months. Fish have never had a problem seeing my gear. Clear water only means spookier fish.
Less siltation in te water means more eggs hatching so that is a good thing.

The fish in the Cowichan like to hide out along the shore line in ankle deep water. If the water is running high and murky you will always find them at your feet.

you nailed that highlights the good old days a tiny corkie and muddy high water nobody on the river but lots of fish.

the groud under the cowi seemed alot more forgiving than the large boulders of the stamp and it sure is nice not to here the roar of a jet boat. i notice as well that catch and release streams do a good job of detering the redneck meat fisherman. i got no problem with people bonking fish but when they are disappointed with catching wilds like ive heard people say on the stamp and vedder i have an urge to snap their rod. not really sure what most of those lure u guys mentioned are but will google. fishing up by the power lines today i was skeptical of walking downstream due to the large barking shepard in someones yard... when people have riverfront property isnt there somekind of easement along the river bank that makes it possible to fish threw their property... anyways really appreciate the help guys

People still bonk steelhead in the cowie fyi. They still have hatcheries showing up there.

People still bonk steelhead in the cowie fyi. They still have hatcheries showing up there.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

you nailed that highlights the good old days a tiny corkie and muddy high water nobody on the river but lots of fish.

He's alive.......LOL, been on the water at all lately?

Yeah the good old days on the Cowie. You ever get up that way anymore?. Sure has been a long time for me. Probably at least six years minus two walk ins last year for old times sake./ Hit a few fish on the first run I stopped to. Makes me maybe want to hit it again this year.

Guess we'll see.

Have a great new year there Bananas.

HL

quote:Originally posted by bananas

He's alive.......LOL, been on the water at all lately?

Yeah the good old days on the Cowie. You ever get up that way anymore?. Sure has been a long time for me. Probably at least six years minus two walk ins last year for old times sake./ Hit a few fish on the first run I stopped to. Makes me maybe want to hit it again this year.

Guess we'll see.

Have a great new year there Bananas.

HL

Back