Cowichan River

fishtime

When do you start fishing the river again after high water? I like around 1.8m. Mind you few pools are fishable (upper fly) at that level.

YOU CAN GET ALL THE INFO AT LAKE COWICHAN FLY AND TACKLE,,,ASK THE FISHING GURU---GORD 250-749-4964

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

No NJ I have just found the LAKE COWICHAN FLY AND TACKLE store and the info obtained from there by all of the staff invaluable and have allways been treated fair, so when ever I get a chance to plug real fishermen and their way of doing busness its a given....

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

cowichan river is now down to 1.80 meters. and is now looking very fishy. I have heard of several coho that have been caught buy no reports of early steelhead. good luck..

Gord

Ive fished it a few times in the past week without a sniff. Still a bit early but I'm sure theres the odd one around. The water is still high for my liking. Another 1-2ft of drop and it will be in good shape. I also have freinds that have been fishing it for the past 2 weeks 2-3 times a week and they havent caught anything.

Ive herd another report today of 4 coho caught today below skutz falls every day should get better.Good luck..

Gord

There is an early run of large winters that push through at the beginning of Dec. Likey they shot up with the high water. If not , then they will be coming!

Next wave won't be until late Jan and again in late March( mixed with the downward migrating kelts )

Caught and released 4 red male coho at Stolz boat launch just before dark...gold colorado's.....:D

The last time coho were counted in the Cowichan was in '07 and at that time less than 4000 were observed.

I understand that it is legal to kill one coho on the Cowichan until the end of December but fishing this late in the year will result in the catching of old red boots.

At this time even catch and release will have a harmfull effect so I would hope that we all stop fishing for them.

That is a great looking stretch of water in there! Plenty of "trap" areas to hold up those slabs:D I am suprised more fish aren't hooked in there. Not alot of pressure in that area guess is why.

HL

No way is that yarn, but nice try. If I remember correctly myself and 2 other old-timers had a talk with you and your skinny freind on another day about the bait you were using up there. Its been about 4-5 years ago now but people dont forget those sorts of things.

Those are nice fish you caught regardless.

Didnt think you would run into people that have seen you breaking the law online did you? Maybe you dont use bait now, but theres 3 people that know you did that day (we were really disgusted by your freind putting sacks on the end of his fly line). Shouldnt have posted pics after doing such a thing, we wouldnt have known it was you.

Back