Cowichan lake

Been fishing out on cowichan lake lately and its been red hot! was wondering if many other people have been out there lately?

I'm heading up to Cowichan this weekend. where is the hot spot this time of year? At the creek mouths I know but which one...lol. And how deep? Plugs? spoons? worms? troll a black fly on the surface? I don't seem to catch a lot on plugs, maybe I'm going to slow?

Try fishing Meades,Shaw,and Little Shaw on the east side of the lake. Fish close to shore wth 3" or 4" Tomic plugs.Troll
them 120ft. behind the boat at a medium speed. Also try a 20' ,5lb. flourocarbon leader,especially if it's a sunny day
or the water's really clear.We use 5-6 weight fly rods and no downrigger and fish in 15-20ft. of water. If you stop at
Cowichan Fly and Tackle in town, Gordie March will show you the plugs that work the best and send you in the right
direction. There's some hog trout in there,but all Rainbows and Cutthrout 50cm. and over must be released.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the info ff. It sounds like your fishing right on the surface without weight and did you mean your plug is at 15 or 20 feet or the water is only 15 to 20 feet deep? I know Shaw and little Shaw but will have to look up Meades and will be sure to give that a go.... thanks.

We're using no weight at all, SR. The plugs dive as you troll them,and at a medium speed of about 2mph your plug will
be about 10 or 12ft. down. Forgot to tell you to also pull the pins on your plugs,run the leader through the top hole
for the most action,and also use a small 4 bead chain swivel on the hook to set it back farther.That way if you snag up
and break off,your plug will pop back to the surface. We were getting alot
of short biters at times and this seemed to help with hook ups. If you launch from just above the weir in town,Meades
is about 1.5 miles or so up the right side of the lake.It's hard to see as the mouth is obscured by thick brush.And yes,we fish tight to the shore,only heading into deeper water to
avoid the windfalls sticking out from the shore.More often than not this is where we get
our hits as the cuttys are ambush predeters and love that kind of structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yes,we fish tight to the shore,only heading into deeper water to
avoid the windfalls sticking out from the shore.More often than not this is where we get
our hits as the cuttys are ambush predeters and love that kind of structure.
Wow, you are in close. I will surely give that a try. I fish close to shore but never that close.... Now I'm getting excited....lol. We leave right after work today and will be back on Sunday. Will let you know how I make out. Thanks ff, that little tip might make all the difference in the world!!!

Good luck to ya,SR.It's a blast of a fishery up there! Just keep a close eye on your sounder,and follow that15-20ft.
contour all the way up .If you had a few hits,turn around and troll the same side back home.If not,pull the gear,run
across the other side of the lake and fish it home.Just keep you eyes peeled for the windfalls that I mentioned.Having
that much line out the back works really well for giving you time to react and keep the gear fishin'!

I'll be up there in two weeks! My buddy's been slaying them the past two weeks. Quite a few over size.

Any one know the winning weight at this past weeks fishing dirby at the cowie? Hey woody any pics of those oversized fish?

Can't wait to get up to the lake. Just a little over a week to go. All the reports and pics I have seen show some very solid fish.

This last weekend the King Cutthrout trout derby was held up at Cowichan Lake and the 3 winning fish were:
1st place..... 3 lbs 2oz
2nd place.....3 lbs 1 oz
3rd place.....2 lbs 6 oz

I didn't weigh in a winning fish myself but did manage a 53 cm cuttie, was fun to catch but had to let it go as all fish weighed in had to be 50 cm and under. Got to see a lot of old faces and a few new ones too. Had a lot of fun Thursday night sitting around the fire with a few cold ones listening to some real good tunes from Colt Ford.(Who I had never heard of till then) so if you guys are reading this thanks for the good times and tunes, to: Mark, Mike and Wes. This year marked my 10th year in the derby and looking forward to next year already...... Steve.

Well in the regs it says bait ban and single barbless hooks November 15 to April 15 If it was allways barbless why would they post it beside the bait ban and the date and not above it ?

You are right from the way I read it Jwolfe... Barbless hooks are allowed in lakes unless other wise stated.. That would also apply to Cowichan from April 16th to November 14th

Thanks for clearing that one up Lip ripper ,guess it helps to read the regs every once in a while holmes...

Back