Courtenay / Comox SFAC meeting

Sculpin

Location- the dfo office

Time -9:30 am on a Monday, March 19th

yes you read that right. 9:30 am on a Monday, March 19th.

Try to be there?:eek:

FD - one word, GOPRO

I made it to the meeting (SFAC Comox)-just a bunch of hard working guys and gals trying to do the best for us out of a bad situation. God knows where all this will end up-is there a bright side?-I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure these folks will give us their best shot.

Highlight was Bryan Allen putting forward a motion to the dfo, to make sure that in the future, nothing is rushed ever again, and that if they require a decision from the SFAB, that they give sufficent time for All SFAC boards to be involved. Thanks for that Bryan. I truly appreaciate it. That was about the only valuable thing that came out of it for me. I am pretty sure the SFAC is not for me. Well at least the area 14 group. I respect everyone there and all thier hard work and i think we have a great group with some dedicated individuals. That includes Chuck ashcroft. But 9:30am on a monday morning, not a single DFO rep in the meeting(and the meeting was held in the DFO OFFICE LOL) and 5 or so rec fisherman. Im not sure how any type of change that i can be happy with is going to happen under that format. I left feeling really disappointed to be honest. However, i do understand al ittle more clearly what happened i think regarding the halibut. If anyone wants my post-meeting opinion you can PM me.

Lorne

I am excited to see what happens at the Victoria. I will be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a great motion by Brian. Thanks for the infill Lorne. NO DFO REP and it was held at their office? Is this common at area 14 meetings?

Lorne there were two DFO reps there. One from Puntledge Hatchery and our local community advisory.
Most meeting we also have one from DFO enforcement and another whose name escapes me at the moment
To say there was only 5 or so rec fishermen was perhaps you not understanding our introductions.
My introduction was as the representative from Little River Enhancement Society.
I'm a recreational fishermen.... I also represent a lot of fellow recreation fishermen from our volunteer hatchery as well as my friends and neighbors.
They count on me to bring there voices to the table.
The same can be said by all the other people you saw there today.
You see many of us care about the whole picture and we have many hats to put on.
The common thread is we are all local recreational fishermen.
I don't think one person from the industry side of our sector was there today.
That's not to say we don't have representation from them, it's just they did not attend today.
It was a well run meeting and we had a lot of ground to cover.
Halibut is only one issue that we are dealing with as you saw with the agenda.
There are a lot of important things that we need to talk about and decisions to make.
I would not say we made very many decisions today but you did see a motion brought forth.
The meeting was a little long as some ground had to be covered for your and others benefit.
An example is with the topic of crab and prawn floats.
Most of us know why we need them but it needed repeating so you, and others understood.

If it's not for you at this point in your life that's OK.
Twice a year SFAC meets with the general public and I hope you will continue to attend.
We make it a point to have more DFO people at those meetings to address issues that are current.
I suspect we will have another in the very near future that we hope will be well attended.

I have been on volunteer boards for over twenty years with other "not for profit" groups.
My experience tells me we have a great group of people on SFAC-14.
We do make a difference here and else where in BC.
I do have to think about more then just how one thing effects me.
I need to think about how it affects the group of people I represent.
It gives you a lot of perspective when you have to question your own ideas.
I'm not one of the long time members but I'm learning from those members the issues and thought process that they have.

Thank-you for attending and seeing behind the door of what is SFAC.
If you read the TOR (terms of reference) you will also gain more knowledge of your group.

If you have any concerns with issues that affect you, my time is available to you.
I will bring any issue you see fit, within reason, to SFAC 14.

GLG

Lorne there were two DFO reps there. One from Puntledge Hatchery and our local community advisory.
Most meeting we also have one from DFO enforcement and another whose name escapes me at the moment
To say there was only 5 or so rec fishermen was perhaps you not understanding our introductions.
My introduction was as the representative from Little River Enhancement Society.
I'm a recreational fishermen.... I also represent a lot of fellow recreation fishermen from our volunteer hatchery as well as my friends and neighbors.
They count on me to bring there voices to the table.
The same can be said by all the other people you saw there today.
You see many of us care about the whole picture and we have many hats to put on.
The common thread is we are all local recreational fishermen.
I don't think one person from the industry side of our sector was there today.
That's not to say we don't have representation from them, it's just they did not attend today.
It was a well run meeting and we had a lot of ground to cover.
Halibut is only one issue that we are dealing with as you saw with the agenda.
There are a lot of important things that we need to talk about and decisions to make.
I would not say we made very many decisions today but you did see a motion brought forth.
The meeting was a little long as some ground had to be covered for your and others benefit.
An example is with the topic of crab and prawn floats.
Most of us know why we need them but it needed repeating so you, and others understood.

If it's not for you at this point in your life that's OK.
Twice a year SFAC meets with the general public and I hope you will continue to attend.
We make it a point to have more DFO people at those meetings to address issues that are current.
I suspect we will have another in the very near future that we hope will be well attended.

I have been on volunteer boards for over twenty years with other "not for profit" groups.
My experience tells me we have a great group of people on SFAC-14.
We do make a difference here and else where in BC.
I do have to think about more then just how one thing effects me.
I need to think about how it affects the group of people I represent.
It gives you a lot of perspective when you have to question your own ideas.
I'm not one of the long time members but I'm learning from those members the issues and thought process that they have.

Thank-you for attending and seeing behind the door of what is SFAC.
If you read the TOR (terms of reference) you will also gain more knowledge of your group.

If you have any concerns with issues that affect you, my time is available to you.
I will bring any issue you see fit, within reason, to SFAC 14.

GLG

I am not going to argue you with online, as if there is anything i learned yesterday, its pretty pointless, and honestly i dont really give a **** anymore. Maybe i was at a different meeting then you even though we sat across the table from each other. I should clarified, that there was no one from DFO in the room that had much to offer regarding the topics. There was a dfo hatchery guy there. Correct. He gave us an update from Puntledge(which i appreaciated) and commented on other hatchery related topics but other then that i dont think he said another word the rest of the meeting.

I spent 3 hours in a room on my own time on a monday morning and 1 motion was made and zero decisions were made. I would even venture to say IMO there wasnt even alot of productive discussion. Im sorry but we havea very different I Ideology of what "productive" is and i was very dissappointed. And its been pretty much the same at the other Meetings i have attended. Thats why i am saying its not for me. I've read the TOR multiple times, thanks. I will continue to volunteer my time helping fish and fiaherman. But if this the only way to do it, I'll pass on the love sessions. The halibut issue got brought up, but IMO there wasnt alot of room for discussion. It was the last thing on the agenda, everyone was wanting to head out. I didnt really buy the reasons it was rushed, but i was hesitiant to say anthing else as i got jumped on pretty quick when i wanted to voice my opinion. Shutting up and following the status quo isnt my style. I will always question motives, I will always question reality. I will always question the "science" Im not sure that fits the SFAC model.

If you want things well attended lets try Posting it online a bit earlier, instead of emailing me not to post it. Lets put up signs at our local gone fishing, and tyee marine and at the F and G club. How bout having it at a time where people can attend instead of 9:30am on am monday morning. That may work. If i have any other issures that affect me ill bring them up my self. But thanks for the offer.

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from the Fraser Valley, but was fortunate to be in the area, so I attended the meeting for Area 14. I must admit I was surprised at how few rec fishers attended, but I do realize that the time of the meeting would be difficult for the working people. Still, I met a couple of people who had taken time off of work to attend.
It was a pleasure to meet the individuals who volunteer their time for the rec fishers of the area. A hard working. dedicated group for sure.
The meeting started at 9:30 and ended at 12:45. with no breaks! Much was on the agenda for the meeting, the last being halibut, in order for Chuck Ashcroft, to complete a conference call, and then begin and participate in the halibut discussion. I am glad I attended, as it was very informative, and gave me insight as to why decisions were made and made quickly.
Some DFO options on the table for halibut limits were, leave limits alone, and close season when Rec Tac is reached, change limits to 1/1, change limits to 1/2 with one under 83 cms, close season during summer months, etc... Only two options look like they may extend the season. and they would be 1/1 and 1/2 with one under 83 cms.
So....why did the SFAB want to opt to extend the season, rather than just leave things they way they are......well...not to appease the guides. SFAB did not want the season to be shut down too early, as they did not want any sports user group to start purchasing quota from the commercial sector. This would be a disastrous trend that was set up by DFO, and if they see it being used successfully, well.....not sure how you feel about paying another user group to harvest a sports caught Canadian resource.....but I know I don't want to go down that road. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the sport's halibut fishery, will remain open much longer than last year.
Now, what was the rush to push this through? Fishing licenses!! Yep! Decisions were made quickly so they could have the licenses show the changes, in time for April 1. There are still tidal licenses, that are sold at retail outlets, so it was imperative to get them printed and out to the stores by the end of March. Check your old licenses...you will see your halibut limits at the bottom. Funny, I had never noticed that before.

So...that's what I got out of the meeting. I'm not saying that I agree with the decisions or like the idea of the speed and what some of us perceived as the secrecy of the process, but now I understand why things were done the way they were. No conspiracies, just a group doing what they felt was right for the sporties. I feel it would have been nice that all sporties had been consulted, not just a guides group...maybe in a town hall meeting format...but apparently there was no time. Another option, would be to let DFO make the decision on their own, and then we would have a united sports fishery up in arms at DFO, instead of the split in the recreational sector. A split as shown on this board.

Anyhow, that's what I got out of the meeting and my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Thanks River Rat, I wish someone would of explained it like this a couple of weeks ago...... but I can understand why maybe it was not............

SS

I also attended this meeting. I don't have much to add that was not already posted by other members.
I have a better understanding of the process.

I also agree with RR that this new halibut reg. is to try and prevent rec user groups from buying quota.

There is also new float requirements for Rec crab and prawn fisherman coming down the pipe as well. Color coding floats to help DFO identify different user groups when doing fly- overs.

I also hope Bryan Allen's proposal (motion) regarding this new halibuts being considered experimental is taken to the top of the food chain (SFAB) and adopted.

Another idea being considered is an annual limit of halibut on your lic. for the 2013 season just like salmon and ling cod. Something needs to be done to slow the Rec sector catch to stay within our TAC.

So....why did the SFAB want to opt to extend the season, rather than just leave things they way they are......well...not to appease the guides. SFAB did not want the season to be shut down too early, as they did not want any sports user group to start purchasing quota from the commercial sector.

thx guys for lettin us kinda here what happens in these meetings " Lorne !!! tell us how you really feel // lol "

River Rat appreciate ur insite , cool ya made the meeting
gonna try and be productive and positive on this ,
m2b , i dont believe i know a single sporty that would purchase any quota if this is in fact true ,
TRUST ME , aint gonna happen from our usergroup , SO , which sporty's were of concern ???

Would any of us sporty's bought quota ?? pls , lets here from ya...???

later

fd

Back