Court Case Won Against Salmon Farm Industry Abuses!

Whole in the Water

Yet more evidence of the net pen salmon feedlot industry harmful practices - this time they have been found out and hopefully stopped!!!

READ DECISION - Download T-789-13 - Judgment and Reasons copy.pdf (1038.2K)
On May 6, 2015 The Honourable Mr. Justice Rennie handed down the decision that DFO has been unlawfully allowing the salmon farming industry to transfer farmed salmon into marine net pens that are carrying diseases with the potential to 'severely impact' the wild fishery at an international level [72].
He ruled that DFO is abdicating its legal responsibility to protect and conserve wild fish by handing off decisions about transferring fish with diseases to the salmon farming industry [83].
Most BC farmed salmon are infected with piscine reovirus. Many scientists in Norway have published research showing that piscine reovirus causes the disease, HSMI, which is known to damage salmon hearts to the point that fish can barely move.

The problem for the BC salmon farming industry is that most of the fish in their pens are infected with this virus. It is critical to them to be allowed to use piscine reovirus infected fish, because they don't have enough uninfected fish to be profitable.
However, since these infected farm fish are being placed on our wild salmon migration routes, by the millions the potential impact of this virus on wild salmon is critical to Canadians.
In my view government has tried to perpetuate a dangerous myth that this disease is no threat to BC's wild salmon.
The Honourable Justice Rennie on piscine reovirus
Justice Rennie made it clear that it is not really up to the courts to arbitrate on science, however, since the issue of whether pisine reovirus causes the disease HSMI was raised in this case that it had to be considered.
While it would seem a simple matter to just do the science to test this, let me just say it is not. It could be simple, but it is not.

Justice Rennie informs us that in his view, the science is convincing that PRV causes a disease that may be harmful to wild salmon and that it would be unreasonable not to expect that disease to follow the salmon farms industry into BC

...the weight of the expert evidence before this Court supports the view that PRV is the viral precursor to HSMI. [35]
...the evidence, suggests that the disease agent (PRV) may be harmful to the protection and conservation of fish, [45]
...it would be an unreasonable inference to draw from the evidence that it will not appear in farmed Atlantic salmon on the Pacific Coast. [57]
The evidence, suggests that the disease agent (PRV) may be harmful to the protection and conservation of fish, and therefore a “lack of full scientific certainty should not be used a reason for postponing measures to prevent environmental degradation” [45]

These are welcome words as we stand in a world facing critical degradation by ill-thought out human activity.
The judge had strong words for DFO:

The Minister of Fisheries pleaded that she was "guided by expert advisors" and that the licence conditions were based on "scientific criteria," but Justice Rennie noted that the Minister had said nothing about the science and furthermore he said:
The Minister sheltered behind Marine Harvest's evidence [37]
The point is that assertions made in order to bolster the reasonableness of the Minister’s exercise of discretion cannot be made without evidence. [38]

What the Minister cannot do is make unsupported statements of science.[39]
What a powerful statement that is. Not just an "unsupported statement", but an "unsupported statement of science." What is science that has no supporting material? The very definition of science is a systematically organized body of knowledge. Science without supporting evidence is junk, it is not science.

What does all this mean?
Because the weight of evidence suggests PRV causes disease [35], and because “there is no question that (HSMI) is a threat to aquaculture operations” [33], that the law prohibits such transfers.
This would mean the salmon farming industry has to either find disease-free fish or has to stop transferring the diseased farmed salmon into ocean net pens.
What actually happens next is anybody's guess, hopefully it will not mean that we are not allowed to know if farmed salmon are diseased or not. The Province of BC already considered passing a Bill with this power. How far will our federal and provincial governments go to protect this industry instead of Canadians? We have a ringside seat.

You can help by signing and SHARING this petition
And by donating to reach out to the farmed salmon consumers

Meanwhile the sea louse infestation of BC's wild salmon continues after a lull of seven years where the salmon farmers kept their lice under control. Something has gone very wrong today. As usual they are denying they are at fault. Globe and Mail May 7, 2015
more on this later.....

- See more at: http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2015/05/we-won.html#sthash.EMNrlK0C.dpuf

I truly hope that this is the first step in exposing these crooks in Ottawa that continue to support this filthy industry.;) eman

Who says hatchery fish don't get released without prv or other viruses for that matter. Carful for what you wish for.

They can look at hatcheries as a separate problem if it is a problem. The 'hey they are doing it too...' defense isn't a good one Birdie.

Just finished reading the judgement. It seems very reasonable to me. Aquaculture company vets should not be allowed to make decisions on which diseases and disease agents are low risk to wild salmon. IMHO, they should never be delegated that authority, not even with clear criteria articulated by DFO. This is where I diverge from Justice Rennie's judgement. It seems to be another example of what Justice Cohen pointed to regarding the Minister's conflicting mandates to protect and conserve wild salmon and to promote aquaculture. Cohen recommended separating those mandates.

Thank you, Alex for taking this on and the link to the judgement and thanx, Whole in the Water for sharing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This response is from another forum:
Basically the judge sided with Section 56 rather than the licence conditions. The science mentioned in the ruling about PRV being the causative agent in HSMI seems to indicate that because there was no other likely agent then PRV must be it (based on correlative studies at the time); however, to this day, PRV has never been shown to conclusively cause HSMI. It also seems to be assumed that these fish were diseased because they had PRV, but was it ever shown that they were actually indeed “diseased”? Fish can have viruses and not necessarily develop disease.

Since this court case began there has been considerably more information about PRV in BC. The scientific data used in the court case was already old. None of these new studies were considered in this case. Latest studies suggest that PRV is not the disease agent as once believe and is of low risk to wild Pacific Salmonids. So, if Morton wants to talk about science being neglected here well here is some for her to digest:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111....12285/abstract
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70140121 (Kyle Garver is the DFO scientist Morton loved to quote during the Cohen Inquiry in regards to the spread of viral particles)
http://wdfw.wa.gov/pnfhpc/pubs/ireports/Pi..._Whitepaper.pdf

And it sure seems to have silenced the C&P 'ers ... but maybe they're out fishing, lol!

Who says hatchery fish don't get released without prv or other viruses for that matter. Carful for what you wish for.

come on Birdsnest....you can do better than copying a quote from another forum can't you?
The fact is your fish farms are, have been and continue to raise AND sell diseased salmon!!! (yes yes...I know your diseased salmon do not pose a threat to human life)
What you say?....and to say "careful what you wish for" does not count!!!!

An average farm makes , best case scenario $1m at harvest, with an investment of around $13m. That's a pretty slim margin. Are you honestly telling me salmon farmers would knowingly spend that kind of money on diseased fish, fish that might not make harvest weight. Remembering harvest weight is set for profit, harvesting early would hurt an already thin bottom line. You(general term)must think these people are stupid, nothing else makes sense. Seriously just think...Would you raise livestock that isn't healthy ? That you knew wasn't healthy ? Of course not ! It boggles my mind. I respect and appreciate passionate people, just think with your heads.

I'm not into the cut and paste thing, it's all cherry picked, both sides. Only thing that matters to me is the info I gather through boots on the ground.

come on Birdsnest....you can do better than copying a quote from another forum can't you?
The fact is your fish farms are, have been and continue to raise AND sell diseased salmon!!! (yes yes...I know your diseased salmon do not pose a threat to human life)
What you say?....and to say "careful what you wish for" does not count!!!!
It’s my understanding this virus is endemic here on the Pacific coast, and has been shown to exist before fish farms started their operations. Of course it’s possible hatchery broodstock will be found to have this particular, non-pathogenic strain of PRV, and this ruling, as I read it, makes release of progeny from such fish illegal. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

An average farm makes , best case scenario $1m at harvest, with an investment of around $13m. That's a pretty slim margin. Are you honestly telling me salmon farmers would knowingly spend that kind of money on diseased fish, fish that might not make harvest weight. Remembering harvest weight is set for profit, harvesting early would hurt an already thin bottom line. You(general term)must think these people are stupid, nothing else makes sense. Seriously just think...Would you raise livestock that isn't healthy ? That you knew wasn't healthy ? Of course not ! It boggles my mind. I respect and appreciate passionate people, just think with your heads.

I'm not into the cut and paste thing, it's all cherry picked, both sides. Only thing that matters to me is the info I gather through boots on the ground.

small margins....large losses due to disease...entire pens shut down due to disease (only to claim insurance from our government)..recorded disasters all over the world...."just think about it"... as you say....why would anyone in their right minds take the risk in OUR waters with our pristine ocean to allow your fish farms to pollute and spread disease and sea lice!!!...AND... oh yes...sea lice that are now somewhat immune to "Slice" and pose another great problem for you to deal with! Both the "slice" AND sea lice.
Alaska, where the last great runs of Salmon still thrive, will not let your farms in...how ***????? they won't take the risk...no matter what your propaganda says!!!! Right, or wrong???? You tell me why you are not allowed to introduce Fish Farms in Alaska???
You mention " Boots on the ground"
A friend who owns a restaurant just recently told me of soft flesh fish from your farms that were delivered to him, that he had to throw away.. not an unusual occurrence according to him....you would no doubt know the name of this not uncommon soft flesh disease...I can't remember the name(old age eh)..it has certainly come up before.
Bottom line.... those in the industry will continue to defend their livelihood no matter what.
Why would anyone expect differently

Last edited by a moderator:
Fogged in that would be kudoa (soft-flesh syndrome).

So I did have a chance to go over those papers.
Very interesting..... Can't wait for more research, as promised in them.
Have a question for Birdsnest, how old were the salmon that died from the Jaundice Syndrome?
I take it those are the ones down at Creative Salmon right.
It's not a secret and in fact they seem to really want to get to the bottom of this mystery.
They deserve credit for being open and that's something not always shown with other companies.

Piscine reovirus and Jaundice Syndrome
[h=3]Abstract[/h]
A Jaundice Syndrome occurs sporadically among sea-pen-farmed Chinook Salmon in British Columbia, the western most province of Canada. Affected salmon are easily identified by a distinctive yellow discolouration of the abdominal and periorbital regions. Through traditional diagnostics, no bacterial or viral agents were cultured from tissues of jaundiced Chinook Salmon; however, piscine reovirus (PRV) was identified via RT-rPCR in all 10 affected fish sampled. By histopathology, Jaundice Syndrome is an acute to peracute systemic disease, and the time from first clinical signs to death is likely <48 h;
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jfd.12329/full

You mean like mad cow disease? Now who was it that said "Shot, shovel and shut up"
https://www.organicconsumers.org/old_articles/madcow/shovel91703.php

Back