conventional or synthetic

Just a general type of question. Do you prefer conventional oils or synthetic in your outboards and legs?

Conventional in legs.

Synthetics for engine oils after break in.

Ask any racer or engine rebuilder and they'll tell you synthetics offer many benefits and offer value.

I have 64 cylinders I own and maintain meticulously. Synthetic all the way.

So what if it cuts down on the beer consumption marginally....I get it back in hours!

I like synthetics. Best real life experience I can relate is we had Hale fire pumps on our deicer trucks pumping glycol to 180f @ 180 psi. They used a 2/1 speed up drive in them so impellers spinning just under 7000 rpm. Conventional gear oil we would get about 100 hours before rebearing, synthetic we would quadruple that.

I agree with 100 hour or seasonal gear oil changes you probably don't need synthetic however component repair costs often factor in my descisions.

Gas Engine oil same thing. Slightly off topic however if you have a older flat tappet gas engine in your boat run a conventional oil with a zinc additive for the camshaft and lifters.

Well i used to be conventional all the way. and used the good stuff in my motors etc . The new engine on my boat after using the break in oil for 20 plus hours was supposed to switch to a synthetic oil as per warrenty.
SO i called volvo guy, He was awesome of course he said the use the volvo stuff and then asked about "Royal purple" he said it better than what we use and NO it wont void warranty as its exceeds etc etc etc.
I then asked old way id swith out after 50 hours or so.. he said with these new oils (synthetic) we recommend 150 hours changes. got to admit kinda was ok??? but after reading the qualities of it can see why so im actually SAVING money, especially a few weeks ago they had it on sale and a major parts store clearing them out at $8.99 a litre so i bought 3 cases, im even going to start using it on the yammy kicker....

Back