Continental Trailer locks up

merrittboy1

i have a Continental trailer for my 24 ft Trophy. Have trouble with it locking up when backing up hill, small incline. I guess that there should be something that keeps it from locking but we have tried to find a pin etc with no luck. Any ideas, I am not a mechanic, need help!

Are these surge brakes? If yes, the then the trailer brake backup solenoid is not working. Most surge brakes can be manually locked out, with a pin or screw driver - try that and then back up. Google is your friend>

jam a piece of wood in the ram!!

There's always a way to manually lock out the surge actuator. Post a picture of yours and I'm sure someone can help.

Or there is always the dirty failed lockout and need to get home way. Crack a bleed screw, push the trailer back and close it up.

I have had that problem before, and the fix was simple for me - ensure your trailer lights are plugged in when backing. I typically unplug before I go in the water to launch, then park the trailer, and later come back and start backing up and find the brakes lock up on level or uphill grade. plugging in the trailer lights did the trick for me, and then as I have a downhill grade on the ramp, I can up plug again.

good luck. DAJ

Thanks guys. Have looked on line and should be able to solve problem. Will take a few pics and post. We will be working on it this weekend. Hope to be fishing in few weeks.

This is a problem with disc brakes. You need an electrically operated solenoid that stops brake fluid from going to the brakes when going up hill. Mine is activated by the back up light circuit. Or you can insert a pin when backing up to keep the tongue from sliding back. Remove it all other times of course. I have a very steep hill to back up so I went with the bleed type solenoid shown below. It allows back up steep inclines and permits the brake fluid to return to the reservoir.

https://www.championtrailers.com/reversing-solenoid-valve-installation/

Last edited:
Back