Consultation on ticketing under the Fisheries Act for commercial and recreational fisheries

agentaqua

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN1117-GENERAL INFORMATION - Consultation on ticketing under the Fisheries Act for commercial and recreational fisheries

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is planning to expand and update the use of
ticketing under the Contraventions Regulations to cover minor offences, for
both commercial and recreational fishing activities for the following
regulations: Fishery (General) Regulations (FGR); Pacific Fishery Regulations,
1993 (PFR); and, British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996 (BCSFR). It
is anticipated that ticketing for minor offences will reduce the need to lay
charges, thereby saving individuals and companies the time and expense of
appearing in court.

A website has been created to get your opinion on whether you think ticketing
is a useful tool, the benefits or drawbacks you foresee for your activities or
industry, and how this ticketing regime will be accepted in your area.

Please visit the website at: www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/tickets

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Chris Manore

The only comment I have is that when a fine is levied, there HAS to be follow up and a penalty for non-payment. In the past , the Justice Dept didnt feel it was worth their time to run down a $150 fine . To let a penalty slide makes a mockery of the regs.

Seems meaningless to me if there continues to be a lack of enforcement/funding. Not much is going to change.

With limited enforcement manpower it makes sense to have them spending more time in the field than in a court room for lower grade infractions.

The paperwork and cost of issuing a charge far outweighs the amounts collected for a $150. Government has to think of ways to be more effective and the self serve digital fishing license is better then most bureaucratic messes, even with the printing issue. Better to spend the money and energy going after the bigger fish IMHO. Preventing me from renewing a license if I don't pay a fine and then seizing my fishing gear if I'm using it and haven't renewed is a pretty effective deterrent as a salt water fisher. Be great to get the associations opinion on this, be nice to have united submission from Rec fishers.

Back