Commercial Spoons- The "Theory" behind their use?

Redfisher

I have a pile of the older commercial spoons in various sizes and various configurations. I know in general that:
  • commercial spoons are heavier so you have to fish them faster
  • that you used different sizes based on the size of bait that was present
  • most were designed to use without a flasher (but flashers on nearby gear sort of created dummy flasher situation)
So here is what I am curious about:
  • Why do we not see any brass or copper on the newer sport spoons? (Has glow and UV eliminated the need?)
  • What were the "right conditions" to fish these 50/50 chrome/brass, pure brass, gold or copper finishes?
  • Should we even still be using commercial spoons or is a Nog's needle or Sitka Sand Lance a much better new version of commercial spoons?
As I look at the pile of Superior, Clendon Stewart, Wonder and the various Pallister spoons should I be, shining them up to fish em, playing with modifying them with "tapes and glows" like Sitka spoons or hanging them on the wall with my Peetz rod and reel:)

I think the copper/brass or gold and silver colours are making a comeback. Been seeing them around a bit more lately.

I think the advantage to glow and UV comes about because of the frequency of fishing deeper these days. For me, commonly fishing 200 up to 250' glow/uv has proven to be a distinct better producer.

If fishing above 100', I think metal blades would be great. Also, something like the Coyote Live Action series.

In reality though, I often like to try things that go against the grain and against 'conventional' wisdom so maybe these spoons now would work well. It's also a different presentation that maybe the fish haven't seen. I have an old silver flasher that has worked great in deeper water. As well, I found that pinks go crazy over a size 3.5 Coyote spoon (pink humpy special but the older style with a silver back, not the white) trolled behind a flasher. Shorter leader length of 24-30". I've had many people tell me I'm nuts to try that, that it wouldn't work. Well it does. Need to modify the spoon though, go with a smaller siwash hook and make sure to add a swivel between the spoon and the siwash for when they flip out on the surface and at the boat.

Redfisher,
Last Summer while fishing during the Juan de Fuca derby, and not catching a thing, I put on a brass and chrome superior spoon. It is a newer model, probably lighter than the originals, but it worked for us, when nothing else did. Not saying we caught much, but we did manage a couple of fish. The guys that row the Tyee Pool in CR still use the old gear.
If you have the old gear, why not give it a try.
Adios from pool side in PV.
Stosh

They all work as well or better than the new stuff and will last longer. Brass and copper are a pain to keep shiny, but it's worth the effort. Adding glow or other coloured tape ( or paint or sharpie) works too.
Nog's needle filled a gap for a big sandlance that he couldn't find in the existing line of commercial spoons.

didnt get out a ton but, tom mack spoon caught all my fish last year. i use the brass 50/50 more towards the fall. Maybe they put more hype on the newer tackle so they sell more, marketing.

Over the past few years I have been trying REALLY hard to replace painted spoons with commercial trolling spoons.
The logic is that if these older lures are good enough for people who make their living off them, they should be good enough for me!
The problem is that fancy new colours keep hooking me ;-)

I love old Tom Mack spoons in 50/50 caught my biggest Coho in years in Vancouver on it last summer (mid teener). I also love the big size 6 CDN Wonder spoons for large springs and lake trout. They are a pain to keep clean but they turn the day around sometimes.

Fishing and our knowledge of fishing evolves. Many things that worked 20, 30, 40 years ago don't work as well as some of the newer items, certainly not saying this about all items but certainly some things. Its also a numbers game, at one time I'm sure you could drop a bent pin with some yarn on it and catch fish like crazy, try it today. We have studied fish, watched fish and found different patterns in their feeding habits. We have computer simulation to help mimic movement and help design swim patterns and colours. I'm sure there are a lot of solid old patterns that will always work somewhat but it never hurts to try new stuff and keep learning and evolving. A good percentage of lures out there regardless of what species they are designed for are made to catch the fisherman but occasionally there is one that really makes a difference to us.

Keep polish the old commercial spoons. They are high quality to make in Canada and USA only.

I still want to think I can catch a few more bigger springs if I stay on top of my gear. So on a slightly overcast day at slack water in August on the Hyson Bank off Tofino which spoon do I put out?
a. 6" Tomic 500 Squid
b. 6" Titan Mother of Pearl
c. 6" Clendon Stewart 50/50 chrome/brass

Hence the dilemna

"So on a slightly overcast day at slack water in August on the Hyson Bank off Tofino which spoon do I put out?"
It won't matter if you hit those conditions, especially early-mid August. Last year was small spoons, 2010 or so was big spoons. Depends on the bait.
4 rods, 4 sizes, 4 depths, 2 metal, 2 painted.

Its fun giving our money away ,
Is it me or does a wall of spoons and flashers not resemble a box of Froot Loops these days ,
At the end of the day for me ! it's all about matching the size to that season , certain colours work better in certain conditions than others,
When in doubt send down a 3.5 inch Irish cream LOL

FD

Tom Mack No. 5. My all time best lure. I run them off of a release 5 feet above the cannonball. Try to keep the cannonball within 10 feet of the bottom.

New old stock shown, but I have a selection of "experienced" ones in the boat. I purchased the ones in the photo some 35 years ago. I rig them with a 5/0 Mustad 9510SS.

upload_2017-2-13_7-57-13.png

If you throw the spoons in a bucket of hot soapy water for an hour or so and rinse with hot water when you return from a fishing trip they stay clean and shiny.

If big chinook are around I have been known to use a N0. 8 Superior or Canadian Wonder.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-13_7-56-26.png
    upload_2017-2-13_7-56-26.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 36
I like your thinking on this one. Do you think you lose bigger fish on the "twist off" factor without a swivel?
No because the leader is always attached to a ball bearing swivel either on a flasher or just part of my standard setup.

Those big old brass swivels don't spin very well under pressure anyway.

I still want to think I can catch a few more bigger springs if I stay on top of my gear. So on a slightly overcast day at slack water in August on the Hyson Bank off Tofino which spoon do I put out?
a. 6" Tomic 500 Squid
b. 6" Titan Mother of Pearl
c. 6" Clendon Stewart 50/50 chrome/brass

Hence the dilemna
It depends on the color of the water

You have to fish commercial spoons and gear correctly.

A commercial fishers needs are somewhat different than sportfishers.

I have seen commercial guys get on a sport fishing boat fishing plastics (Hoochies) and only 2 rods when everyone and their dog including all the local guides were fishing Chovies with 4 rods including me and kick the crap out of everyone, limit out and pull rods and disappear when everyone else including me scraped for 2 Chinook.

The moral of the story is to use the right gear and the right place doing everything right consistently.

Painted spoons have been around for a long while...and when a Commercial Troller uses sport spoons ( some of them have and do invest in a box or two for specific fisheries) you know something good is happening....

I have lots of commercial gear and it works...sport gear sells well...and catches a lot of fishermen and fish too. Fish the right gear in the right places! :) ;)

Back